BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M cars without tracking

12-11-2018, 08:07 AM   #23
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

it makes as much sense as it does to buy an SUV and not go offroad. Or a pick up and never haul or tow anything. Or an economy car like a Honda that you then modify the Hell out of and get poor fuel economy. Or a Prius and, well, dont ever buy a Prius for any reason.

In other words, if it makes you happy, yes it makes sense.
Appreciate 5
BMWM5NYC496.00
Blurbo311197.00
Outrun64.50
hz101169.50
      12-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #24
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDrive View Post
The best or nothing.
so we should go buy Mercedes?
Not exactly my style but good catch.
      12-11-2018, 07:06 PM   #25
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

The reality is most don't have the skill or opportunity to even fully utilize a 230i to its potential so for the vast majority of people an M car is overkill. Of course few will let skill and opportunity to use the potential of the car get in the way of their buying decisions. When we fall in love with a car we do so for many reasons. Looks, the cars potential performance (yes the driver is the real variable) and our history with cars. Nobody needs an M car, nobody needs a BMW for that matter but we only live once so if an M car does it for you and you can make it happen without having to skip meals then go for it.

The track is one of the few places where you can explore the real capabilities of your own driving skill and the potential of the car. I have seen people have a blast in cars that cost 1/10th of what I paid for my M2 and I have embarrassed drivers of cars that should be far faster than mine as well as being embarrassed by the opposite scenario. If you really want to get the most of a car don't buy the best car get the best training and use the rest of the money on the car not the other way around.
Appreciate 4
rich8566608.50
Miata1385.50
TripleU167.50
      12-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #26
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
The reality is most don't have the skill or opportunity to even fully utilize a 230i to its potential so for the vast majority of people an M car is overkill. Of course few will let skill and opportunity to use the potential of the car get in the way of their buying decisions. When we fall in love with a car we do so for many reasons. Looks, the cars potential performance (yes the driver is the real variable) and our history with cars. Nobody needs an M car, nobody needs a BMW for that matter but we only live once so if an M car does it for you and you can make it happen without having to skip meals then go for it.

The track is one of the few places where you can explore the real capabilities of your own driving skill and the potential of the car. I have seen people have a blast in cars that cost 1/10th of what I paid for my M2 and I have embarrassed drivers of cars that should be far faster than mine as well as being embarrassed by the opposite scenario. If you really want to get the most of a car don't buy the best car get the best training and use the rest of the money on the car not the other way around.
Very well put! Could not agree more on the best training. Learning to drive well is very rewarding no matter which car you drive.

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 06:43 AM   #27
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

I find the M2 to be a great daily driver. It entertains me every time I get in the car, whether it's to pop down to the shops, go to work, or fang it down some back roads or through some mountains. On more spirited drives, the M performance definitely gets fully utilised despite not being on a track.

Car ownership is more than just coping with the car in traffic (for which I think the M2 is perfectly fine anyway). I love parking and looking back at my car - don't think I could say the same for a regular 2 series.
Appreciate 1
bobert858.50
      12-12-2018, 06:55 AM   #28
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

It's silly how the sheep around the car culture stratosphere have been brainwashed to think that tracking their car is somehow required.

A) you have a life to live. Unless you are a race car driver as a profession; tracking cars is NOT a priority. Driving it everyday is.

B) wanna go to a track? Sure sign up for a track day. Your lap times won't matter. What will matter is you'll have fun.

C) don't wanna track your car? Don't worry not everyone is going to take their daily driver to the track and wear every part out just so they have to repair it more.

D) live for everyday; not just the rare "track day"

YES M cars are made for everyday use. Whether you go to the track or you don't go to the track; enjoying driving is what is important. They are made for the snow, for the rain, for carrying kids around, for taking an apex at the track, for buying toilet paper at the supermarket, etc etc.

Don't let others define what you do with your car.
Blurbo311197.00
Aloha Joe391.00
geogerf115.50
Outrun64.50
qnet676.00
heavyD^23684.00
Altra265.50
TMR013422.00
Miata1385.50
CTSean323.00
      12-12-2018, 09:08 AM   #29
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I'm willing to bet that 80% of M car owners never track their cars so it seems to make sense for a lot of people.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #30
Blurbo311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6-Speed

Still worth it!

If you compare an M2 to a similarly optioned M235 or M240, the price difference isn't that great. I've said it before that just the looks of the M2 is worth the extra cost. Add in the slightly modified N55 engine and the beefed up suspension and its definitely worth it!

While I would like to take my M2 to the track, I likely will never make it a priority. I enjoy my car every day! Like others have said, if I had a 235/240 already I might not upgrade, but if looking new today, I'd go M2 without a doubt.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #31
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

That’ll be 99% of all M owners
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 04:29 PM   #32
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by D22M2 View Post
That’ll be 99% of all M owners
Yep
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 08:19 PM   #33
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Does it make any sense or worth it to buy M cars when one knows he would never track the car?
Yes. I am a big fan of track events (I do 10-12 track days each year), but the M2 is a great daily driver too. Yeah, I even run it in the winter with snow tires on all four corners. The M car is definitely worth it in all conditions.
      12-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #34
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Obviously it is your money and you can do what you want with it. No question.
Look in North America we have speed limits.
With most modern cars you can lose your licence in just one instance. If you get a ticket for 130mph I doubt you can get insurance.
So you buy a car that you can occasionally (carefully) break the law in. You buy a car that is too powerful to really "safely" throw around on public roads.
Just from a practical perspective I would argue you are wasting your money.
Obviously these care make way more sense in Germany as just a DD.

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 05:30 AM   #35
Mabs
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Depends on where you live and if you have access to roads like this (as in UK):

I suspect in much of the USA, you don't have access to many windy roads.

A M240i would probably be just as adequate for straight line performance compared to an M2, but the M2 comes into its own on the bends.
Appreciate 1
Lukeni67.50
      12-19-2018, 05:40 AM   #36
Lukeni
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabs View Post

A M240i would probably be just as adequate for straight line performance compared to an M2, but the M2 comes into its own on the bends.
This!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 06:25 AM   #37
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeni View Post
Quote:

This!
M240i is no slouch either. It does take bends very very well. With MPE in sport mode. It comes to his own. OG M2 is hardly faster than m240i on straight line either. Of course overall M2 is a better drivers' car
      12-19-2018, 06:38 AM   #38
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

OP, perhaps if you tried rephrasing the question to test other vehicle buying choices?

So: Why do people who live in cities in 2 season areas of the US buy 4x4s?

Or: Why do people buy trucks in the US if they have an office job and only use it to drive between home/office/Mall?

Or, the one that has always puzzled me: Why do Scandinavians buy convertibles?

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 10:03 AM   #39
Lukeni
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeni View Post
Quote:

This!
M240i is no slouch either. It does take bends very very well. With MPE in sport mode. It comes to his own. OG M2 is hardly faster than m240i on straight line either. Of course overall M2 is a better drivers' car
Like the post explains: in the corners the m2 is in a total different league than the m235/240.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #40
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

The majority of M owners never track their car, so go for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #41
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

I am currently considering moving from 2018 M240i to M2C. The more I seat in M2C the more it feels so familiar and loses the aura. Apart from nicer front bumpers, some carbon and alcantara on the door panels, I could not feel any difference from mym240i. It looks less handsome from side view than M240i.
I know it would handle better and slightly (4.1s to 4.6s) faster than M240i but I am unable to justify hefty financial penalty to myself.

I want something special something that would hold me for the next several years. I would love to own it but no longer feeling the buzz like last week. I have viewed 3 different colours with comfort and M2 plus packages and Apple CarPlay and Speed Limit Display.

I am beginning to think used Porsche Cayman 981 (2012-2016) might be better financially and in terms of allure

Please don't get me wrong, if no financial penalty is involved, I would immediately change to M2C. So I might have to wait a bit longer
      12-21-2018, 12:38 AM   #42
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

sounds like you should get the cayman. i wouldnt take the financial hit for the m2c. if anything wait a couple of years for the next gen m2 if youre deadset on a baby m

also as far as tracking, if i had no intention of tracking, i wouldnt get a m. living in southern california, in traffic which never ends, anything over 200 hp is overkill. would probably be different if i lived in england where top gear has showed me the roads outside of the metro areas look quite delightful lol.

Last edited by greasypeanut; 12-21-2018 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 01:07 AM   #43
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
For me it would be more scary to actually have a car that drives close to its limit in normal every day use.

Reminds me of back in the days with an old girlfriend when we borrowed her mothers car, some really small Toyota, slightly bigger than an RC. I was a more inexperienced driver back then (24 years old), hadn't ever owned a car and only driven my parents cars which were better cars from all perspectives than this small car..

I got genuinely scared and really had to focus on the perspectives of driving well because the car had no power and really bad brakes. Overtaking on the narrow single lane country roads was really scary because it took so much time that it was unsafe no matter how well I planned my driving. Also kept serious distance to the cars in front because of my lack of faith in the braking capabilities..

Well, point being that you want a car that has a good margin and has no problem handling the tasks of everyday driving. The m2 will break well and generally handle well. Sure, there are other more common cars that do this also so it's up to you to find a suitable car. Also, if you're gonna commute on a daily basis it would make sense to get a car with less emissions and better fuel economy.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 09:16 AM   #44
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

Quote:
Heh? Not everyone lives in the city, and out the 'burbs and beyond, there are plenty of windy roads.
Appreciate 0