BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Did you get PPF on your car?

View Poll Results: Did you have PPF installed?
Yes 65 50.00%
No 36 27.69%
Still Deciding 29 22.31%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

11-19-2018, 11:03 PM   #1
Protatomonster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Kia Stinger 2018

Did you get PPF on your car?

Figured I'd make a thread on this as I can see it being useful for others contemplating PPF!

1. Did you install PPF? If no what was the reasoning?
2. If you did install PPF, how much did you pay for it where was it done and what was your coverage and brand?
3. Did you choose to do ceramic coating on top of the PPF? If yes do you find it worth it to do on-top of PPF?

Obviously there's a lot of debate around this as most places charge over $3500 (I was quoted $6500 for expel stealth) for full coverage and track packages seem to range around $2500
I was offered 1. Full Frontal - $1899
2. Rocker panels - $419
3. A-Pillar and 1/4 roof - $149.
Total: $2467 USD (This is for Xpel Ultimate Plus)
See my concern is for that cost any rock chips etc I can probably take to a body shop and have repaired for much less? Correct me if I'm wrong on this one but I can't imagine it being that hard for a body shop to match paint and such. The main benefit I see if keeping the paint swirl free and scratch free.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 11:30 PM   #2
BlkSVT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2c BSM, 2020 MB GLC63

I will admit to digging in to looking at PPFs for the M2C, but I still come back with a firm no for me. All that extra weight!

OK OK....Seriously... No, I've been there w/treating several past cars like investments, doing everything possible to keep them perfect, and I've found I just cannot have that mindset with a car. It takes me down a path that makes me an F-in spaz about something that's just a car. i want to drive it hard, have some fun, take care of it, modify it, and use the thing. Spending thousands on PPF is an investment, a perspective, that I personally can't buy into any longer.

I get it for sure why guys do it, but not for me

Now w/the ceramic coating? That is something I'm considering
Appreciate 4
      11-19-2018, 11:33 PM   #3
Protatomonster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkSVT View Post
I will admit to digging in to looking at PPFs for the M2C, but I still come back with a firm no for me. All that extra weight!

OK OK....Seriously... No, I've been there w/treating several past cars like investments, doing everything possible to keep them perfect, and I've found I just cannot have that mindset with a car. It takes me down a path that makes me an F-in spaz about something that's just a car. i want to drive it hard, have some fun, take care of it, modify it, and use the thing. Spending thousands on PPF is an investment, a perspective, that I personally can't buy into any longer.

I know I will be doing Ceramic coating for sure that's something I will do with or without PPF thanks to TTBear for giving me the inspiration to do it myself! but yeah I want to get PPF since this is my first expensive sports car (I mean I've had a Dodge Charger, Kia Stinger GT, and share a C7 Corvette Grandsport) but this is by far the most I've spent on a car so I wonder if it's going to be worth getting PPF on or not.
Appreciate 1
TTBear414.50
      11-20-2018, 12:03 AM   #4
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

I'm probably going to do it, only because I plan on going to the track. If not for that, I probably wouldn't. Just rinse/wash regularly and then polish/seal periodically or as needed. That's what I'm going to do with my other car. When I looked into prices I just couldn't justify it.
      11-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #5
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

I'll offer a slightly different perspective. I do about 50% freeway/50% local/back roads daily driving. I'm planning on getting PPF mainly for the ease of maintenance and looks. To explain, I know I'll get a fair share of rock chips and minor cosmetic damage. Yes, a body shop can respray. However, you will have to drive around with these unsightly defects (however minor) until the respray, and they will just eventually accumulate again. I just don't like having a bunch of rock chips on my car. Enter PPF.
Keeping the paint pristine and swirl free is an added bonus. And I don't really care about resale (too much), so I don't view it as 'protecting' my investment.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 10:29 AM   #6
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

Yes because of track usage.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #7
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I did xpel ultimate with full front, rockers, door cups, and luggage area. Total was about 1800 with a level 1 polish (10% bmwcca discount). They offer ceramic pro but decided to do coating myself. Going to use gtechniq CSL and Exo v4 over the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 11:22 AM   #8
Protatomonster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
I did xpel ultimate with full front, rockers, door cups, and luggage area. Total was about 1800 with a level 1 polish (10% bmwcca discount). They offer ceramic pro but decided to do coating myself. Going to use gtechniq CSL and Exo v4 over the weekend.
May I ask where you had yours done?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 02:03 PM   #9
M4 GTS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02M3 19X3M40 on order 21 GT4

I think 5 point auto spa
Appreciate 1
pz6193274.00
      11-20-2018, 03:54 PM   #10
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2cNYC View Post
I got quoted 4700 dollars to do the full car PPF on my M2 comp. Thats a no for me! All my previous have been without PPF as well and nothing has happened so I don't want to waste the cash.
Come down to VA! My "neighbor" does it for half the price...yes, he's fully licensed.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 04:37 PM   #11
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protatomonster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
May I ask where you had yours done?
Of course!

5 point auto spa in San Diego/Carlsbad
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #12
Protatomonster
Lieutenant
Rep

Has anyone been to the track without PPF installed and if so is it true you'll get a decent amount of paint damage doing so?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 07:51 PM   #13
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

PPF is mandatory on any car of value...

Re-paint and dealing with the collective chips until the next re-paint is fruitless.

At least:

Full front (fenders, hood, front facia) 'A' pillars, partial roof, extended rocker panel / sills, behind rear wheels and rear bumper luggage area.

Re-painting will not only cost you more in the end but never match as well as factory paint. While collecting road debris you can decide when to re-paint only to have to do it again. Makes zero sense.

PPF every time.
akkando5860.00
      11-20-2018, 07:52 PM   #14
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Has anyone been to the track without PPF installed and if so is it true you'll get a decent amount of paint damage doing so?
Yeah, expect a lot of paint damage
      11-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #15
808elise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CB E46 and SG E92 M3s

Garage List
Quote:
Figured I'd make a thread on this as I can see it being useful for others contemplating PPF!

1. Did you install PPF? If no what was the reasoning?
2. If you did install PPF, how much did you pay for it where was it done and what was your coverage and brand?
3. Did you choose to do ceramic coating on top of the PPF? If yes do you find it worth it to do on-top of PPF?

Obviously there's a lot of debate around this as most places charge over $3500 (I was quoted $6500 for expel stealth) for full coverage and track packages seem to range around $2500
I was offered 1. Full Frontal - $1899
2. Rocker panels - $419
3. A-Pillar and 1/4 roof - $149.
Total: $2467 USD (This is for Xpel Ultimate Plus)
See my concern is for that cost any rock chips etc I can probably take to a body shop and have repaired for much less? Correct me if I'm wrong on this one but I can't imagine it being that hard for a body shop to match paint and such. The main benefit I see if keeping the paint swirl free and scratch free.
I'm going expel ultimate + and quoted 1100 for full frontal, mirrors, and in front of rear tires.

I am going full wrap on my M3 for 3500. That is a custom wide body car. That car has custom paint to.

It's going to be done with best guy in Hawaii. Exotics dealer hires him for their cars.

I'm going with PPF bc it worked great on my previous cars. The new PPF is way better.

I will not ceramic coat it. Ceramic is for people to lazy to wax with a good product. In either case u must still care for a ceramic coat. Check out dodo juice wax and save yourself some money. Additionally the PPF is adding depth. PPF + dodo juice is an amazing duo. Just order the wax straight from Britain. I use supernatural now but I used their other waxes as well and while they are not as crazy awesome as supernatural still better than anything I have ever used from chemical guys in under $1k 250ml hard wax range.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 08:20 PM   #16
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808elise View Post
I'm going expel ultimate + and quoted 1100 for full frontal, mirrors, and in front of rear tires.

I am going full wrap on my M3 for 3500. That is a custom wide body car. That car has custom paint to.

It's going to be done with best guy in Hawaii. Exotics dealer hires him for their cars.
I'd do 1k but no way I'm going over 2k that seems Uber extreme.

Is it obvious when part of the car has Xpel and other parts don't ?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #17
808elise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CB E46 and SG E92 M3s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshalygin View Post
Quote:

I'd do 1k but no way I'm going over 2k that seems Uber extreme.

Is it obvious when part of the car has Xpel and other parts don't ?
So that depends how u care for it. The PPF adds depth.

Partially covered panel are obvious. Don't do partial panels.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 08:40 PM   #18
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
So that depends how u care for it. The PPF adds depth.

Partially covered panel are obvious. Don't do partial panels.
Gotcha makes sense.

I need to find a SoCal expert so many shops but hard to know what a good.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 09:01 PM   #19
Protatomonster
Lieutenant
Rep

Does anyone know somewhere in Florida with more reasonable prices? full frontal seems to cost around $2k here and 2.5k for track packages.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 09:39 PM   #20
sobek305
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxx

Quote:
Does anyone know somewhere in Florida with more reasonable prices? full frontal seems to cost around $2k here and 2.5k for track packages.
@hughsdetailing on ig is in Miami, I havent hit them up yet but they’re local
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 10:55 AM   #21
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

Quote:
You will get sand blasted and rubber on everything. If you don't track it I wouldn't bother.

2k is a lot but after 100k miles just peel the ppf off and it will look like a 6k paint job.

Most people won't own this car long enough for it to matter but I plan on running it into the ground. All of my cars have well over 150k. One has 235k, another 338k etc etc. I'm in it for the long haul so it's worth it to me.
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
kpham189.50
      11-21-2018, 04:30 PM   #22
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkSVT View Post

It's not an investment.

"i want to drive it hard, have some fun, take care of it, modify it, and use the thing."

This is why I get PPF, so I can use it as a please and NOT WORRY and it stays PERFECT.

It's not an investment where I think the PPF is going to hold or increase value. It's to keep my car looking perfect over the life of ownership while I drive whenever and wherever.
Appreciate 0