BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Cleaning Wheels / Brake Dust

10-21-2018, 12:52 AM   #1
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Cleaning Wheels / Brake Dust

In California, it doesn't rain much, so my car stays pretty clean as long as I dust it each morning. I probably actually wash the car about once every 6 weeks during the summer, and it looks perfect every day.... except for the wheels.

I know our cars have brake pads that are known to generate a lot of dust, and maybe at some point in the future, I might replace them with some that dust less, but for now at least, I'm going to stick with the stock pads until they were out.

Initially I just left my wheels until it was time to wash properly, but even then found that if I got the brake discs / rotors wet, the first 100 yards driven would result in rust coloured dust all over my just cleaned wheels!

Now that I have a QuickJack, I decided to try a different approach. Wheels off, clean with a hose, wash and dry, off the car, rinse-less wash the callipers and arch liners, then put the wheels back.

This works great, but I noticed something interesting while I was removing the lug bolts with an impact wrench today... lots of brake dust fell down with each 'impact' of the wrench.

While I had the wheel off, I decided to blow out the discs / rotors and callipers and damn was there a lot of brake dust in there! My car has now done about 6,500 miles, and there is plenty of pad material left, I'm just shocked how much dust was inside the disc.

Now that the wheels are clean and back on, I'm hoping that they stay dust free for slightly longer than I'm used to. Perhaps the discs will fill with dust first before it starts coating the wheels!

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 12:56 AM   #2
Nezil
Major
Rep

Another quick tip I forgot to mention... If, like me, you clean your wheels first before you wash the bodywork. Fitting some wheel covers over your wheels once they're clean can prevent soap and rinse water getting on your freshly cleaned wheels and worst case leaving water spots, best case making you have to keep continually drying them.

I used this set and it fits perfectly: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073H38SCD/

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 09:21 AM   #3
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

I use a ceramic spray on my car as of late (hydrosilex recharge in my case) and it really allows the wheels to stay cleaner for longer. I noticed this mostly on the wheels and the tailpipes.

With the frequency of your washes that might really be worth a try for you. It works great on the paint, too.

Oh, and a tip I picked up on one of the different subforums here for the wheel rust dust: After I wash the car and it's still wet, I do a lap around my cul de sac dragging the brakes. That heats up the rotors and dries them off so there's no rust. That rust DOES look horrible on our black wheels, especially when the rest of the car is so clean.

Last edited by McGary911; 10-21-2018 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: added rust tip.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11456.00
      10-21-2018, 09:43 AM   #4
randyt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MGM 6MT M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I envy you as I pretty much need to wash mine every week if I drive it.

Cleaning the wheels is a pain and takes more time than anything else even using Hydrosilex. My process is wash, dry (cloth & blow) coat w/ hydrosilex every couple of washes. Drive, blow the rust off it and wipe down. Finally done. Have not really found any shortcuts.

When you blow out your calipers, I would suggest wearing a hazardous particle dust mask if you are getting a lot of dry dust.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 09:49 AM   #5
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Ugh there is nothing more annoying than the rust getting all over your black barreled wheels after a fresh wash. Doesn't matter how well I dry the rotors, they turn orange. Only solution I've been able to manage is to go for a drive around the block and then wipe any remanence of it off the wheels by hand. I almost want to retrofit CCB's just to not have to do that after every wash.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #6
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Nezil, have you had your wheels ceramic coated? I imagine that would make it way easier to get the brake dust off each time.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #7
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Ugh there is nothing more annoying than the rust getting all over your black barreled wheels after a fresh wash. Doesn't matter how well I dry the rotors, they turn orange. Only solution I've been able to manage is to go for a drive around the block and then wipe any remanence of it off the wheels by hand. I almost want to retrofit CCB's just to not have to do that after every wash.
Well like said, removing the wheels, and waterless washing the callipers and wheel wells prevents you from getting the discs wet, so that does prevent the rust. It's a lot of effort though.

I did try your method a couple of times, detail spray and wipe the barrels after a short drive, but it's messy, and I sliced my finger really deep one time on the backplate! I don't want to do that again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
Nezil, have you had your wheels ceramic coated? I imagine that would make it way easier to get the brake dust off each time.
Yes, I coated my wheels with CQuartz D-Lux when I first bought the car. The brake dust doesn't stick hard at all, a blast with a pressure washer takes almost all of it off, so cleaning it isn't difficult.

I've ordered some HydrO2 as a topper for the D-Lux as well. The D-Lux is holding up well so far, but it will fail eventually, I know that, and HydrO2 might delay the inevitable.

Last edited by Nezil; 10-21-2018 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 01:59 PM   #8
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
I usually drive forward & backward a few feet in my driveway, after a wash, and just before dry. It helps but, I agree you always get some rust somewhere .
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2018, 02:21 PM   #9
necoblitz
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Black Sapphire Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
Quote:
I usually drive forward & backward a few feet in my driveway, after a wash, and just before dry. It helps but, I agree you always get some rust somewhere .
Somewhere on the forums I read about Hyde's Serum rust stopper, available on Amazon. Spray it on the discs after your final rinse, seems to do the job.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 02:49 PM   #10
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017_M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by necoblitz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
Quote:
Somewhere on the forums I read about Hyde's Serum rust stopper, available on Amazon. Spray it on the discs after your final rinse, seems to do the job.
I have tried that spraying but it doesn't remove the rust....a bit disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 05:14 PM   #11
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Yea, really annoying.. I dont recall having disks this prone to rusting, but Im sure it just seems that way... So I washed yesterday, and changed the way I do things somewhat.. Ive been using this bottle of Dub wheel cleaner which is one of those that go on green and turn purple when encountering iron.. Since im using powerstop Z23 carbon ceramic pads, I dont get much purpling, but I do get a TON of rust on the crossdrilled rotors, which inevitably would wind up coating the wheels and tires way more than BMW brake pad dust does in the same amount of time.

I used to do the wheels first, but this time, I washed the entire car first trying to keep direct hose spray off the rims.. While drying the paint, I applied the wheel cleaner and after a few minutes, I aimed the hose directly at the wheels, trying to keep overspray to a minimum.. Upon rinsing the wheels, i immediately took her for a short drive, dragging the brakes when appropriate. When I got home, no rust!
      10-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #12
Nezil
Major
Rep

So it's been nearly a week since I blow out the dust in my brake discs and calipers. I can definitely say that it makes an enormous difference in the amount of dusts on my wheels.

I've not driven that far, but so far at least, the wheels are still pretty much clean. I've not had clean rims this long ever before!

Blowing out the dust makes a real mess though...

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 10:29 AM   #13
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

My recipe for staying battling the dust and rust:

1) Switched to HRE satin IPA wheels which are a satin bronze. Hides the dust better!
2) Ceramic coated the wheels
3) Changed brake pads to "low dust" ceramics and accepted a marginal difference in stopping power.
4) Wash the car first and the wheels last. Wheels are the first to get dried with my leaf blower, then I dry the rest of the car.
Appreciate 1
BruceM984.50
      11-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #14
RAM_F30_F87
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT; 2012 328i 6MT

Garage List
Long ago I purchased a flexible microfiber duster recommended in a previous forum like the following to use with your favorite wheel cleaner.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Micr...3-20/204326091
CQuart Professional was recently re-applied to the entire car/wheels after front bumper replacement.
https://www.kmgdetailing.com/single-...02/2017-BMW-M2
Appreciate 1
randyt224.50