BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > BMW M2 Competition 2019 review | better than a Porsche 718 Cayman? [Autocar]

09-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #111
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdizzle View Post
Out of curiosity, which Cayman generation did you happen to drive? I've been on the fence about either adding, or switching to, a 981S. I'm always curious to hear about other's opinions who have driven both platforms. I love my OG M2 but I've got the car switchitis.

Also drove a 718S and liked it very much. The sound complaints are overblown in my opinion.. the usable low to mid range torque on tap more than makes up for it.

Drove the 718-base model. Not even the S. You are spot on about the sound! Totally overblown! Though, I can see how you get used to something, love it, and then when it changes, it just pisses you off. (I felt that way about the Transformers cartoon in the 80's - remember when they, literally, KILLED every single character in that movie between seasons 2 and 3, just so that they could introduce a bunch of new characters to sell more toys? My single most traumatic childhood experience.)

If you've got car switchitis, you should totally do it! (Well, totally do it if you have the financial wherewithal to burn through cash wastefully.) Heck, get whichever Cayman you like this year, then switch back to the M2C in 2020, then switch over to an Aston in 2021. Why not? Seriously, you would be my hero.

In my own case, I'm going to add, not switch, because I'm a normal human being with normal human being needs, so can't live with just a 2-seater. As a result, will be a 3 car household. Was getting worried that I would regret the decision to get DCT on the M2C and was actually thinking of eventually trading in for a 6MT M2C. But, having now driven the 718, I realize that BMW's transmission just will NEVER compare favorably to Porsche's, either PDK or 6MT. Drove the 6MT 718 yesterday, and the manual on the Porsche is otherworldly good - made someone who sucks at manual, like me, look good! So, instead will keep the M2C forever as my nice, loaded up, DCT, luxury sports coupe that can serve as AMAZING DD. Meanwhile, getting absolute base 6MT 718 with literally only 2 options added (Sport Chrono package and Apple CarPlay), for future track duty and playtime. And, amazingly, if you don't load the 718 up with lots of options, the Cayman is cheaper than the M2C! Can get my configuration through USAA for $54,705.

Wife just rolls her eyes, and says, "Well, other women's husbands cheat on them, do drugs, gamble, work 80-hour weeks to avoid spending time at home with family... your vice is that you like cars. I guess it could be worse."

What's your situation? If you're single and don't need to be a regular human being, man, you really should just do it! I know single guys my age, who make good money, who switch cars every year. (So envious.) If you're married with kids and have responsibilities, like me, and are hampered by real world considerations, my condolences.
Appreciate 2