BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Active Autowerke | M2 Track Day Results and Review

05-13-2016, 06:31 PM   #23
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
there is more new car tech disappointment to be had...

It's nice to get a warning for low pads, but
Any decent track driver can eyeball the pads and determine if they will make it through the rest of a their sessions in the day or even weekend.

Like you said about tire pressures ... The car is too smart sometimes

On my 1M, if the brake lining light is red ( it changes from yellow to red when the pads get lower ) , then the car will go into limp mode if you drive it hard, and it will not let you drive the car hard for more than a lap or two !!

Go into the paddock and cycle it off and on and it will be start up just fine. . Go back out on track and it will go to limp mode again another half lap later.
Have you disconnected the pad wear sensors? mine are tucked in with some zip ties.

Car won't know about the condition of the pads if the sensors are out...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 06:34 PM   #24
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc
Quote:
there is more new car tech disappointment to be had...

It's nice to get a warning for low pads, but
Any decent track driver can eyeball the pads and determine if they will make it through the rest of a their sessions in the day or even weekend.

Like you said about tire pressures ... The car is too smart sometimes

On my 1M, if the brake lining light is red ( it changes from yellow to red when the pads get lower ) , then the car will go into limp mode if you drive it hard, and it will not let you drive the car hard for more than a lap or two !!

Go into the paddock and cycle it off and on and it will be start up just fine. . Go back out on track and it will go to limp mode again another half lap later.
Have you disconnected the pad wear sensors? mine are tucked in with some zip ties.

Car won't know about the condition of the pads if the sensors are out...
Since 1993...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 06:35 PM   #25
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 CS SMB

How does the shift quality compare to the M235i?
      05-13-2016, 08:43 PM   #26
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
Nice review and driving, Sebring loves to eat brake pads nam nam nam... Hope to catch up w/ you there one day
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 08:52 PM   #27
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ActiveAutowerke View Post
[SIZE="4"]

The car is sometimes too smart. If your tire pressure is too low (my starting point of 25psi) the car won't let you turn DSC off because it thinks you're losing air pressure. This leads to my next comment.

If you drop the pressure you need to do a reset.... then the car will know that's the current pressure and it will not block DSC unless you drop 10 PSI more or so....
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2016, 09:08 PM   #28
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

So, it needs pads and high temp fluid? Pretty typical, especially on a track like Sebring, which is pretty brake intensive.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 10:12 PM   #29
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Thanks

1) I'm not sure what the stock spec for camber is on the M2 but it's not very much. I was implying that the turn in wasn't bad at all despite the minimal negative camber up front.

2) I'm using throttle to rotate the car. I guess you could say it's my driving style, but I noticed that with less throttle the car would understeer more. The car does not naturally oversteer, if anything it understeers a bit. Rotating the car with throttle allows you to apply more throttle earlier and exit a little faster.

Thanks! The turbo lag is built in to the software, if you shift above 6000rpm it eliminates the lag. I'll be driving tomorrow at Homestead with some new Pagid RS29 pads so we'll see how those hold up.

27s are fast! I'm hoping to be in the low to mid 20s with the coilovers, tires and power the next time we head out there.

Once you get the coilovers, pads and maybe some 18" rims track tires you should significantly reduce the understeer, first thing I thought when I saw it was coming on 19" rims was that car is going to feel piggy in mid to low speed turns. Dropping the cars roll center really improved the 235 quite a bit, should apply to the m2.

I only get to Sebring a few times a year and your much more committed than me in 17, prob worth a second at least there on my time. I think 228 on good street rubber, 225 on r comps should be relatively achievable looking at the vid. Although you may have to wait until the fall it's just to damn hot down there after May.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 10:32 PM   #30
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

I want one to add to my e90m so bad. Two track worthy cars is a dream
      05-13-2016, 11:19 PM   #31
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcva
So, it needs pads and high temp fluid? Pretty typical, especially on a track like Sebring, which is pretty brake intensive.

It needs high temp fluid and better pads on one of the *least* brake intensive of the fifteen different race tracks I've driven on..Motorsport ranch cresson in Texas. It wouldn't have made 4 laps at Eagles Canyon raceway, or Hallett.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2016, 12:28 AM   #32
Jono2112
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Great post! Very fun to watch you work the car through the turns.
I've got an m235i and you've already answered many of my questions about the M2 versus m235i. Do you have any other comments or observations about the two cars? I've heard complaints about the stock brakes, pads, and fluid in the m235i, is this a similar problem in the M2?
Thanks and please post more videos if you've got them!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 01:25 AM   #33
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

So cool to see the M2 in Sebring. I go in way too hot into that last turn in Forza trying to outbreak the other cars. Usually ends up with me using the tirewall to turn

Love your updates! The M2 sounds like a hoot!
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2016, 03:41 AM   #34
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: twin turbo 6 with frunk

Quote:
Thanks

1) I'm not sure what the stock spec for camber is on the M2 but it's not very much. I was implying that the turn in wasn't bad at all despite the minimal negative camber up front.

2) I'm using throttle to rotate the car. I guess you could say it's my driving style, but I noticed that with less throttle the car would understeer more. The car does not naturally oversteer, if anything it understeers a bit. Rotating the car with throttle allows you to apply more throttle earlier and exit a little faster.

Thanks! The turbo lag is built in to the software, if you shift above 6000rpm it eliminates the lag. I'll be driving tomorrow at Homestead with some new Pagid RS29 pads so we'll see how those hold up.

27s are fast! I'm hoping to be in the low to mid 20s with the coilovers, tires and power the next time we head out there.
I'm on my way to Homestead now, what will you be driving? I'll keep an eye out.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 05:27 AM   #35
ilovewagons
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i F31 M-Sport EB to MG F87

Awesome review, and video. I found what you said about gear changes,

Quote:
[SIZE="4"]
If you shift below 6000rpm, you will have lag when applying throttle in the next gear. But, if you let it sing to above 6000rpm and then shift, it explodes in to the gear with no noticeable turbo lag.
really interesting. I wonder if this is something unique to manual cars? When I test drove a DCT M2 at a track event, there was less lag than the already relatively lag free M235i and the throttle response was so good that it made the car so easy to adjust with the throttle, even for a driver of moderate ability like me. Granted I only shifted twice under 6000 rpm before discovering that the engine loves to rev to redline and when you shift at 7000 rpm you get a kick in the butt and trigger the traction control light.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 05:45 AM   #36
David@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
Nice one David!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyro View Post
Nice video and great write-up. Car looks like it's a blast, especially for stock.

My dad and I will be out there at HMS as well. Hope to see you out there!
I'll be there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
About tire pressures, would the car also not allow the DSC to be turned off if one is running track wheels/tires without TPMS?

On the M235, the car doesn't care and it's not an issue other than the tire warning staying lit.

It would suck having to pony up for TPMS on track wheels.
I'm not entirely sure... we'll find out when we get our new wheels though and I'll definitely keep this thread updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skys the limit View Post
Seriously awesome driving! Within seconds I could tell you know what you're doing! Made the video great to watch
Thanks for the kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku View Post
Great news if you happen to take your M2 to a Cars & Coffee with 1.5 psi underinflation.
M3/4s are deathtraps in that situation. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
Thank you for nice unbiased feedback. The throttle lag is concerning. I am surprised BMW did not address it.

Any feedback about the weight?

I use RS29 with my bbk and it is a superb set up.

I am considering M2 but I am looking for precision and feedback machine.

Cheers and safe driving!
Thanks! The car felt lighter than 3600lbs loaded to be honest. It's very similar in weight to the M3/M4 but was way more playful. Again, it only felt heavy under braking haha.

I've heard great things about the RS29 so I have high hopes! Remember that this car is stock, so it's not as precise as it will be once we dial it in. As for feedback, it's really not bad for a brand new car. It doesn't match an old e36 but it's no F10 either.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2016, 05:52 AM   #37
David@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335iOn18s View Post
Both cars I drove were manual, and they both shifted very similarly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&done View Post
Nice review and driving, Sebring loves to eat brake pads nam nam nam... Hope to catch up w/ you there one day
Thanks! I usually drive all of the NASA Sebring events, but will be driving some with PDG this year as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
If you drop the pressure you need to do a reset.... then the car will know that's the current pressure and it will not block DSC unless you drop 10 PSI more or so....
I had to drop to 24psi cold to get 36psi hot. Ambient temps were ~90*F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcva View Post
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
Once you get the coilovers, pads and maybe some 18" rims track tires you should significantly reduce the understeer, first thing I thought when I saw it was coming on 19" rims was that car is going to feel piggy in mid to low speed turns. Dropping the cars roll center really improved the 235 quite a bit, should apply to the m2.

I only get to Sebring a few times a year and your much more committed than me in 17, prob worth a second at least there on my time. I think 228 on good street rubber, 225 on r comps should be relatively achievable looking at the vid. Although you may have to wait until the fall it's just to damn hot down there after May.
We will only be on street rubber since we want to have a true "weeekend warrior" setup. Although I might bring a set of r-comps one day just to see what it can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
You won't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono2112 View Post
I've got an m235i and you've already answered many of my questions about the M2 versus m235i. Do you have any other comments or observations about the two cars? I've heard complaints about the stock brakes, pads, and fluid in the m235i, is this a similar problem in the M2?
The M235i on it's stock sized PSS's was a great car, but it just lacked the mechanical grip of the M2. The turn in wasn't as crisp and the limit of grip was much lower. Since it was my student's car I didn't threshold brake at all so I can't really comment on the brakes but to be honest it was a great insight as to how much more capable the M model really was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
So cool to see the M2 in Sebring. I go in way too hot into that last turn in Forza trying to outbreak the other cars. Usually ends up with me using the tirewall to turn

Growing up I used to play this game called "Sports Car GT" for the original Playstation, and the fastest line around Sebring was to just do 200+ in to the wall and let the car turn for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawnStar View Post
I'll be in the M2 and should be sharing a garage with a buddy in an e46 325i racecar. Come say hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovewagons View Post

really interesting. I wonder if this is something unique to manual cars? When I test drove a DCT M2 at a track event, there was less lag than the already relatively lag free M235i and the throttle response was so good that it made the car so easy to adjust with the throttle, even for a driver of moderate ability like me. Granted I only shifted twice under 6000 rpm before discovering that the engine loves to rev to redline and when you shift at 7000 rpm you get a kick in the butt and trigger the traction control light.
The software may be different for DCT cars. I only noticed the problem under 6000 but it was definitely noticeable.
Appreciate 2
      05-14-2016, 06:52 AM   #38
Jono2112
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ActiveAutowerke
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335iOn18s View Post
Both cars I drove were manual, and they both shifted very similarly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&done View Post
Thanks! I usually drive all of the NASA Sebring events, but will be driving some with PDG this year as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
I had to drop to 24psi cold to get 36psi hot. Ambient temps were ~90*F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcva View Post
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post

We will only be on street rubber since we want to have a true "weeekend warrior" setup. Although I might bring a set of r-comps one day just to see what it can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
You won't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono2112 View Post
The M235i on it's stock sized PSS's was a great car, but it just lacked the mechanical grip of the M2. The turn in wasn't as crisp and the limit of grip was much lower. Since it was my student's car I didn't threshold brake at all so I can't really comment on the brakes but to be honest it was a great insight as to how much more capable the M model really was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post

Growing up I used to play this game called "Sports Car GT" for the original Playstation, and the fastest line around Sebring was to just do 200+ in to the wall and let the car turn for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawnStar View Post
I'll be in the M2 and should be sharing a garage with a buddy in an e46 325i racecar. Come say hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovewagons View Post

The software may be different for DCT cars. I only noticed the problem under 6000 but it was definitely noticeable.
Thanks! That's good information. If I were getting a new car I might would get the M2 which is only a few thousand dollars over a loaded m235i...except you can't find a M2 and would need to pay a few thousand, thousand extra to the dealer. Crisp turn in with the M4 suspension and more power from the engine makes the M2 a capital M car. The one thing I like most about my m235i is the adjustable suspension. It really works. Comfort is comfort and sport is sporty. Perfect as its our daily driver. I still can't wait to learn at some HPDE courses though. Maybe a capital M car will be next.
Great insight, thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 07:06 AM   #39
mmmpassion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 E46 6MT, M3 E92 Comp. DCT

Lag in DCT cars upshifting can be nearly zero as the DCT does change gears under load (and keeping turbo boost). This is (technically, not emotionally) an advantage over 6MT cars and one good reason to combine DCT (or auto shifters) with turbo motors. Second advantage of the BMW DCT is the shorter gearing in first, second and third gear. First gear is even shorter than in M235i with A8 gear box and this leads to deliver/develop turbo boost very quickly from a stand still even without launch control.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 11:03 AM   #40
M3M2R8Racer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 AW Dinan IV

Garage List
2012 Audi R8  [0.00]
95 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm in agreement about the front camber. The M2 does not need camber plates as much as most BMWs.

After two laps in my 1M, stock, the TIRES were screaming for camber plates. They are a necessory for any track work on the 1M.

I also 100 percent agree with you on the brake pads ! Those are the weakest stock M pads I have ever experienced. They are good for novice only. :

I'm already a little concerned for M2 owners that will be coming to the Texas Trifecta at COTA in June. In my " slow " 1M i can reach 145-150 mph on the back straight and I would expect about 4-5mph higher from the M2 with its better top end power and also addl mph entry onto the straight due to better grip.
Should I start looking at better pads? Yes, I am planning to bring the F87 to COTA.
12 R8V10, APR tuned
95 M3 (retired track car)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 12:58 PM   #41
su_root
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Nice driving!

I'll be out there with PDG at Sebring in June as well. Great group, cool low key vibe. Hopefully clear weather.

Bringing two friends. One in a Nissan R32 and the other in a Camaro ZL1. I'm be in the F82. Should be a good matchup.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2016, 01:41 PM   #42
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ActiveAutowerke
Haha, I played Sports Car GT on PC. It was the first game I used a FFB wheel with. Sim racing has come a long way, as have automobiles. The M2 sounds incredible, and at a great price point.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #43
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
I'd also like to compliment you on going balls out in to T17. That's commitment.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 05:57 PM   #44
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3M2R8Racer
Quote:
I'm in agreement about the front camber. The M2 does not need camber plates as much as most BMWs.

After two laps in my 1M, stock, the TIRES were screaming for camber plates. They are a necessory for any track work on the 1M.

I also 100 percent agree with you on the brake pads ! Those are the weakest stock M pads I have ever experienced. They are good for novice only. :

I'm already a little concerned for M2 owners that will be coming to the Texas Trifecta at COTA in June. In my " slow " 1M i can reach 145-150 mph on the back straight and I would expect about 4-5mph higher from the M2 with its better top end power and also addl mph entry onto the straight due to better grip.
Should I start looking at better pads? Yes, I am planning to bring the F87 to COTA.
For front axle, absolutely.

I'm Not sure if COTA is faster or not than Sebring , but OP was only able to limp his car through a day at Sebring by not running full sessions. 1M Tex runs in our top run group ( Adv+ ) and also experienced fade at MSR.

Franklin Joseph is an instructor and is already going for fronts I believe.

It's my personal opinion that BMW AG realizes that the OE pads for the M2 are insufficient for the likes of even mere press car drivers to drive on at the track. It seems to me that pretty much Every press invent involving the M2 driving on a track has had two absolutes.

1- " M performance " brake pads
2- DCT - not manual

I don't think either of these are by accident.

In the past, I also have never heard it specifically stated at a press intro that an M car was equipped with non OE equipment.

Based on this information: I strongly recommend any driver beyond novice level upgrade their pads on an M2.
Appreciate 0