BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > How to prevent getting Rear Ended?

09-12-2017, 01:41 PM   #23
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perp View Post
Back when I took driver's ED, they taught to stop behind someone like 4 cars back and watch your rear view mirror. As a car approaches, slowly creep forward and hopefully the car approaching is slowing down, otherwise you have an escape route.

In practice, I don't stop that far behind (but I'll leave more space than most), but I do keep an eye on my mirror, helped me avoid one collision.

When I have to brake, I always peak at my mirror to make sure the person behind me is slowing too.

As a cyclist, my head is always looking for escape routes.
Mr. Jason Bourne over here.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #24
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfromOC View Post
Unavoidable on the 405 in LA/OC. I've accepted it.
I drive slower in traffic (not in the fast lanes) and leave space in front, so that I'm not slamming on the brakes. Usually if the person is impatient, they will change lanes from behind you (may even compliment you by telling you that you're number 1!).

It is unavoidable though. Too many bad drivers on the roads...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 04:08 PM   #25
longbeachbluem2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '76 2002 / '17 F87 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
1976 BMW 2002  [0.00]
2004 Audi Allroad  [0.00]
Sorry to hear that @M2-007. Stop and go traffic, especially on highways in and around the city, has me paranoid as I've been hit before by someone texting (luckily wasn't in the M2). They never looked up and while I saw it coming there wasn't anywhere to go. Had plenty of space between car in front of me for the record.

In any case, I do the following. If traffic comes to an abrupt stop and there isn't anyone close behind me (next car might not realize that everyone has gone from highway speeds to dead stop), I will put on flashers and watch rear view mirror. Have had to honk before as people misjudge it or aren't paying attention. Also, if I see someone texting behind me and traffic is crawling I will move over and let them pass. If I can't do that and I see them keep rolling forward when I've stopped, I use the horn. Other than that, I try to leave plenty of room and constantly watch my mirrors. Stay safe out there!
      09-12-2017, 06:28 PM   #26
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Take public transportation. Seriously though, just drive and brake smoothly, always use turn signals in a timely manner and just be thankful you drive a M2. There's only so much you can do against an inattentive driver behind you.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 08:12 PM   #27
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
You can also try to let off and on the brakes again so your rear brake lights flash. That's more likely to get the attention of drivers behind you and prevent a "they didn't notice your brake lights turn on" rear end.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 10:41 PM   #28
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

I was at a double left turn lane light a couple months back and a dodge 1500 cranked into one car so hard it caused a 5 car chain reaction to the right of me. I think about how different my perspective on my summer would have been had I been in the right left turn lane instead...sheesh
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 09:02 AM   #29
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

At a stop, leave that long distance your mom told you to leave behind the car in front of you when you were learning to drive. Identify exit points and how you can reposition your car. And watch your rear view mirror like a hawk, leaving your car in gear.

My E92 M3 was rear ended while I was stopped. Car plowed into me at like 60kmph. She was texting. Obviously insurance fully covered everything and amazing there was no structural damage. However the stigma cost me about $10,000 in resale value instantly despite robust documentation and getting it repaired by the best OEM shop in the city.
      09-14-2017, 01:06 AM   #30
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post
Hi inline6ax,

Did you code this yourself, or did you have a 3rd party do it..?

If you did it yourself, would you mind sharing the settings..? I think that this is a good safety idea and I'd like to use Bimmercode (if I can) to configure this when the M2 arrives.

Thanks!
Hey! Did it myself via bimmercode

Check this thread for the google doc, very simple to do! I tried to look for it for you but there are too many pages lol

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1338157
Appreciate 2
      09-14-2017, 05:47 PM   #31
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Thanks inline6ax!
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6ax View Post
Hey! Did it myself via bimmercode

Check this thread for the google doc, very simple to do! I tried to look for it for you but there are too many pages lol

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1338157
I've actually been keeping an eye on that thread for ideas, but I missed the discussion about flashing the brake lights ... so thanks for pointing it out!

For others who are interested, the details for how to do this (and a bunch of other cool stuff) are stored in a spreadsheet on page 34 of the thread that inline6ax has linked to.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 06:00 PM   #32
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post
Thanks inline6ax!

I've actually been keeping an eye on that thread for ideas, but I missed the discussion about flashing the brake lights ... so thanks for pointing it out!

For others who are interested, the details for how to do this (and a bunch of other cool stuff) are stored in a spreadsheet on page 34 of the thread that inline6ax has linked to.
I just realized, when I was searching the thread for you, for some reason I was thinking about the easy seat entry my bad I must've been tired. The brake flash code was actually posted by me LOL. It's on page 45, and I've pasted it here for you:

FEM_BODY Module

3060 à ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG

set to: bremsclicht blinkend
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 09:29 PM   #33
dtmpower98
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F87 M2

Install the M performance rear bumper trampoline
Follow me on Instagram- @dtmpower98
Appreciate 1
detroitm22427.50
      01-22-2019, 09:09 AM   #34
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

I was driving along minding my own business when the traffic light just in front of me turned orange prior to going red. Normally it would have been perfectly ok to continue through. However there were some police nabbing those who ran the lights. I had the choice of slamming my brakes on and being rear ended by the idiot who was tailgating me, or going through on orange and getting fined and losing points off my licence. I chose the second option. Unfortunately the French police won't listen to reason but it was easier than having to have my car fixed or written off.
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:04 AM   #35
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
When I"m on the highway with 2 or more lanes, I stay in right hand lane and about 1 MPH slower than that traffic. Most people will pass if they want to and move up. I like to keep a wide space between me and cars in front and back. If traffic is slower than me in front, or I see a texter or cell phoner , or woman putting on make up in rear view mirror, I move to left lane and let it rip until I find an nice wide space. I have been driving 46 years and never been rear ended. (yet)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 11:07 AM   #36
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perp View Post
As a cyclist, my head is always looking for escape routes.
As a former motorcyclist, I too have developed the habit of always trying to see and watch what the brainless texting morons around me are doing.

Just this past w/e I was driving back from the gym and traffic was heavier than I expected for a Sunday and was right behind some idiot who rear-ended a car for no apparent reason. Probably just not paying attention. Which means, yes, texting.

My wife got hit last year, everyone was stopped at the traffic light, and the guy behind her says that his foot slipped off the gas. Which means, right, texting and dropped the phone. Or whatev. Over $2K in damage to her E90.

People just be stupid. I blame all of these phones.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
Corinne1171.00
      01-22-2019, 02:06 PM   #37
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
I was driving along minding my own business when the traffic light just in front of me turned orange prior to going red. Normally it would have been perfectly ok to continue through. However there were some police nabbing those who ran the lights. I had the choice of slamming my brakes on and being rear ended by the idiot who was tailgating me, or going through on orange and getting fined and losing points off my licence. I chose the second option. Unfortunately the French police won't listen to reason but it was easier than having to have my car fixed or written off.
I turn on the rear fogs when someone is tailgating me. Usually they back off.
Appreciate 1
Corinne1171.00
      01-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #38
Tralfaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Long Beach Blue M2

I was sitting at a red light a few years back. The light turned green but the lane wasn't moving (car stalled or something like that). A guy behind me bangs into the back of my car in his SUV since he just saw green and didn't "notice" that the cars were not moving. The damage could have been worse so he at least didn't hit me at full speed. Unfortunately this happened less than a year after someone must have backed into my rear end while I was parked. Came out and noticed the bumper didn't look right. So that car went through almost exactly the same repairs twice over the course of a year.
Appreciate 1
randyt224.50
      01-22-2019, 04:58 PM   #39
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Technically, if you are driving faster than everyone you can't get rear ended. So... yeah. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 07:25 PM   #40
P4rD0nM3
youtube.com/rodoabadtv
Rep
Drives: 2017 Dinan M2, 2023 X3MC

Garage List
Always remember that your car stops at a shorter distance than most other cars in the road so keep that in mind when breaking. I always look at the sides/back before/during/after breaking and as others have said always find an escape route (looks like there's three of us here! #oneofus).
      01-22-2019, 08:04 PM   #41
randyt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MGM 6MT M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Sometimes it is simply bad luck. I have had two cars totaled out from under me by being rear ended.

Once was a RAV4. The guy that hit me said 'I saw the green light, but not the red car'. I was waiting to let the intersection clear.

The second time hammered my well loved 1er. This was a girl that rear ended me at a stoplight doing ~30 because her baby was crying.

Both times rang my bell good. I was happy no one was hurt and I felt fortunate to walk away.

I admit to paying more attention to the people behind me than I used to and I do try to leave myself a way out but you can't always do it.

Then again, I had a Chevy Suburban literally fall on top of my old Bronco. Perhaps your best bet in avoiding this stuff is to be just far enough away from me ;^)
Appreciate 1
akkando5863.00
      01-22-2019, 08:20 PM   #42
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
I was driving along minding my own business
It's safer to mind driving when driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
I see a texter or cell phoner , or woman putting on make up in rear view mirror
You see so much in your rear view mirror! No need for a TV. I just recall I read about a woman who reportedly crashed while shaving her bottom and letting the passenger to steer. I can't believe that crap (even the dumbest woman capable of finding her bottom would've swapped seats, I reckon) - have you seen anything of the kind yet? I notice only cars, not drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
My wife got hit last year, everyone was stopped at the traffic light, and the guy behind her says that his foot slipped off the gas.
What a mistake, indeed! Your wife was lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I turn on the rear fogs when someone is tailgating me.
Doing that is less obvious than the idea: last time I tried I found it hard to locate the button. And even before that I couldn't tell/remember which of the front/rear fog light switch was which (a good reason to have a car without front fog lights).
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 09:45 AM   #43
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2-007 View Post
I saw quite a few posts from people got rear ended. And I just got rear ended myself. The license plate numbers from the other car are still visible on my bumper.

What is the best way to prevent or reduce from getting rear ended?

Put a big sign on the rear window that says BABY ON BOARD?

It has been years, but may be putting a sign that says - JUST MARRIED !!! and tie a bunch of cans in the rear with 10 ft long strings to keep other cars from getting too close?
The best way to get prevent it is to pay attention to who is behind you and what they are doing. Also always remember your car can stop a lot faster than most cars on the road. Even so I got rear ended recently. The crazy thing for me is that I am a careful driver. I was going down a slight grade and coming up to a yellow light. I was slowing down for the light when I see a pickup going way to fast. Immediately I realize he is going to hit me so I punch it and go through the yellow light. The kid punched it and goes through the now red light. But now there is another light ahead which is red. Since he floored it to run through the red light. His momentum carried him into me sitting at the next light. It was crazy because I gave him an out the first time. All he had to do was stop at the previous light. Now he totaled my lovely ZHP. Nothing I could do to prevent it. I had already prevented it once.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #44
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2-007 View Post
I saw quite a few posts from people got rear ended. And I just got rear ended myself. The license plate numbers from the other car are still visible on my bumper.

What is the best way to prevent or reduce from getting rear ended?

Put a big sign on the rear window that says BABY ON BOARD?

It has been years, but may be putting a sign that says - JUST MARRIED !!! and tie a bunch of cans in the rear with 10 ft long strings to keep other cars from getting too close?
The best way to get prevent it is to pay attention to who is behind you and what they are doing. Also always remember your car can stop a lot faster than most cars on the road. Even so I got rear ended recently. The crazy thing for me is that I am a careful driver. I was going down a slight grade and coming up to a yellow light. I was slowing down for the light when I see a pickup going way to fast. Immediately I realize he is going to hit me so I punch it and go through the yellow light. The kid punched it and goes through the now red light. But now there is another light ahead which is red. Since he floored it to run through the red light. His momentum carried him into me sitting at the next light. It was crazy because I gave him an out the first time. All he had to do was stop at the previous light. Now he totaled my lovely ZHP. Nothing I could do to prevent it. I had already prevented it once.
How did you not punch him in the face?
Appreciate 0