BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Did you get PPF on your car?

View Poll Results: Did you have PPF installed?
Yes 65 50.00%
No 36 27.69%
Still Deciding 29 22.31%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

11-23-2018, 06:18 PM   #23
808elise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CB E46 and SG E92 M3s

Garage List
Finally getting mine on! They are installing right now. I also decided to do a gloss black wrap on the roof. Excited to see it in a few more hours.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 07:01 PM   #24
randyt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MGM 6MT M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
After debating this for quite some time, I decided to try ppf in this car.

My 1er, after 4 years, was pretty much perfect with the exception of the paint chips on the front bumper and a small nick (1st month) on the drivers door. The way the front looked always bugged me and I was about to pull the trigger on a repaint when it was totaled.

For the M2 I decided on full front including hood, rocker panels and the top of the rear bumper. The installer threw in door edge and the area under the door handles. I also had it ceramic coated.

So far, I have noted several nicks in the ppf but nothing that has caused damage to the underlying paint.

Very happy with the ceramic coating. Washes are quick and easy and I use hydrosilex monthly to keep it slick. So far so good.

No winter tires so it is tucked away in the garage waiting for a warm day.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 08:20 PM   #25
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

I live in Colorado (Boulder County) and it's not even a question for me to choose PPF. We dump gravel on our roads so we don't hurt the feelings of people who hate magnesium chloride, which is much more effective and doesn't destroy paint and crack windshields. I don't daily drive the car, but the gravel sticks around for months — much to the chagrin of motorcyclists.

My bill was about $3600 for the shop to cover 2/3 of the car in Xpel Ultimate Plus and apply a ceramic coating, including coating the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 04:13 PM   #26
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Any NorCal folks familiar with East Bay Auto Spa? Curious if they would be a good place to go to for a full PPF wrap?

Also, what about Shine Pros? Both are in the Concord/Walnut Creek area.

Last edited by bplewis24; 12-27-2018 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: Shine Pros
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 08:22 AM   #27
S55bruh
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpine White

Yup... along with a few other treatments from an awesome local shop in Birmingham, al.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 08:24 AM   #28
Evil///M
Professional Hitman
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+ | Colorado Z71

Garage List
BMW paint is very hard and brittle and chips easily. I already had a few chips on my bumper after only 200 miles put on the car. I will definitely be doing PPF when I get back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris View Post
I live in Colorado (Boulder County) and it's not even a question for me to choose PPF. We dump gravel on our roads so we don't hurt the feelings of people who hate magnesium chloride, which is much more effective and doesn't destroy paint and crack windshields. I don't daily drive the car, but the gravel sticks around for months — much to the chagrin of motorcyclists.

My bill was about $3600 for the shop to cover 2/3 of the car in Xpel Ultimate Plus and apply a ceramic coating, including coating the wheels.
That's a pretty good price. I paid 3000$ in AZ to get a partial done on my truck with ceramic and glass coating.
      02-05-2019, 09:52 PM   #29
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I paid $4500 for all the Xpel bits minus the headlights (I didn't know the headlights were available at the time) I also had a 20% discount through BMWCCA.

Then another $2763 for labor. But that cost also included installing all of the M Performance parts with it. Diffuser, Spoiler, Mirror caps, Front and Rear winglets, front reflector delete, black grilles, and aspherical mirrors.

Xpel discontinued their previous line and moved to Xpel Plus, so the pre-cut kits aren't available on their site anymore. I'm actually having my passenger side, hood, and front bumper redone since the car was in an accident. I gave my installer a $2200 deposit to order the pieces, but I'm not sure how that's gonna work out. Maybe Xpel will sell him the previous product, maybe they will only sell the new stuff. I won't know until the 11th when my appt. is.

I did ceramic coat it myself and did the worst job in the world. Didn't wipe it off soon enough, so it was super hazy and streaky. It still did it's job beading water and I was like "eh, whatever" and didn't correct the haziness. But after the accident, the dealer ended up buffing it out for me. I'm not gonna re-apply it. Instead I'll dry the car and apply a spray wax if I want it to look nice. Usually I don't care how it looks though cause I drive it too much to want to clean it so often.

I do like having the windows ceramic coated though.
Appreciate 0