BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M cars without tracking

12-30-2018, 11:00 AM   #67
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I have never been to a track but I'm under the impression M cars are not track cars. Can you even adjust camber without plates?

M cars are sporty practical luxary cars. The point of the car really doesn't seem track focused at all. The point seems to be more of a jack of all trades and a lot more fun than your average street car, but without the attention of a boy racer or exotic.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 05:20 PM   #68
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
It's relevant only if the buyer has the intention to use it in winter - many on here drive their M2 in winter, while many others do not.

I'm not judging anyone who buys it merely for perceived prestige or who are so incredibly oblivious to the point they can't tell the difference (which I find hard to believe in some cases*) - it's not my place to tell them "an M performance model should suffice" - if they have the money, they can buy what they want & it's their business. It doesn't affect me or bother me (I do, however, get a kick out of every time I see a non-M car - one that's not M Performance either - where the owner put an M badge on it).

*however, I don't doubt you regarding the 435i 'PE' w/LSD, but not sure what the point is with that statement.
Yeah I agree, but it does affect us that look for the most extreme variants because the more people that buy M cars for the prestige the more they have to cater to the demand of an average everyday guy. This takes away from the true M experience as you can see cars are getting bigger (more cargo room) and heavier due to more luxury features. But like you said it's their money their choice, I just want to put it out there that a few thousand for a diff and a few hundred for a tune and you'll end up with a comparable experience. So essentially I wanted to let people know they can save some money.

But at the end of the day obviously you don't have to take a word I say and do what makes you happy. Just remember I'm a random dude on the internet, if you don't like or agree with what I say, apologises that I don't emet your expectations, just ignore me and do what makes you happy.
Support you hundred percent. I saw 2 M 3 competition cars at a local Tesco at superstore's car park on the same day filled to the brim with groceries and small children being driven by young mums (the cars were black and red). Maybe it is just me it just deflated my admiration for the car. They did not look any special. I am sure the coupes are unlikely to be used like this
      12-31-2018, 12:35 AM   #69
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:
It's relevant only if the buyer has the intention to use it in winter - many on here drive their M2 in winter, while many others do not.

I'm not judging anyone who buys it merely for perceived prestige or who are so incredibly oblivious to the point they can't tell the difference (which I find hard to believe in some cases*) - it's not my place to tell them "an M performance model should suffice" - if they have the money, they can buy what they want & it's their business. It doesn't affect me or bother me (I do, however, get a kick out of every time I see a non-M car - one that's not M Performance either - where the owner put an M badge on it).

*however, I don't doubt you regarding the 435i 'PE' w/LSD, but not sure what the point is with that statement.
Yeah I agree, but it does affect us that look for the most extreme variants because the more people that buy M cars for the prestige the more they have to cater to the demand of an average everyday guy. This takes away from the true M experience as you can see cars are getting bigger (more cargo room) and heavier due to more luxury features. But like you said it's their money their choice, I just want to put it out there that a few thousand for a diff and a few hundred for a tune and you'll end up with a comparable experience. So essentially I wanted to let people know they can save some money.

But at the end of the day obviously you don't have to take a word I say and do what makes you happy. Just remember I'm a random dude on the internet, if you don't like or agree with what I say, apologises that I don't emet your expectations, just ignore me and do what makes you happy.
Support you hundred percent. I saw 2 M 3 competition cars at a local Tesco at superstore's car park on the same day filled to the brim with groceries and small children being driven by young mums (the cars were black and red). Maybe it is just me it just deflated my admiration for the car. They did not look any special. I am sure the coupes are unlikely to be used like this
That seems like the point of the car to me. Was never around any M cars where groceries didn't easily fit into the car just like any other regular car. I mean I only been paying attention since the e36, but groceries and people fit fine in the car.
Appreciate 1
babaikram511.50
      12-31-2018, 04:12 AM   #70
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Once upon a time that’s what M cars were supposed to be - at least that is how they started life . Conversely, when I see a be-kitted M3 with carbon everywhere and 20” wheels, a stupendously aggressive body kit and enough exhausts to wake a neighbourhood, a piece of ///M dies inside me. And I don’t need any kind of car to be driven by a single aggressive male in order to be able to appreciate it. I’m more likely to think he’s a cock, and get out of his way, to be honest.
Appreciate 1
babaikram511.50
      12-31-2018, 05:24 AM   #71
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

Good points both of you. My rose tinted view of M cars is being brought back to reality
      12-31-2018, 05:58 AM   #72
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
That seems like the point of the car to me. Was never around any M cars where groceries didn't easily fit into the car just like any other regular car. I mean I only been paying attention since the e36, but groceries and people fit fine in the car.
Well, the M1 maybe

The first series roadgoing ///M car (ie based on a car in series production already) was the M5, a car as practical as a 4-bed house in suburbia, a Labrador and 2.4 kids. Looked like 520i, went like a Ferrari. Happy days!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 12:07 PM   #73
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

I was interested in jumping to M2 competition prematurely from less than a year old m240i. I test drove OGm2 as the M2c they had was not available for test drive.

The interior of OG M2 is exactly like my M240i except for carbon fibre (which did not add anything special to the interior as far as I am concerned). Of course the exterior especially the front and the aerial side view is more handsome than m240i. The OG M2 felt more solid, more planted and cornered better than M240i. It felt more safe at speed than m240i

However, it did not feel faster than my m240i, the standard exhaust note is worse than my m240i MPE (tested in comfort, sport and sport+). I did not hear the sonorous note some have talked about. It would be a better tracking car for sure

Overall I was not wowed enough compared to my m240i to go ahead and take the financial penalty to jump to M2c.

In the future, I know i would change to a full M car or AMG but I would continue to enjoy my m240i for the next 2 to 3years.

Thanks to all those that have contributed to the thread
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2019, 02:41 PM   #74
.2pdk
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
I don't consider an M2 to be overkill on the street at all, but it's nice that it's capable for track days, whether you do them regularly or sparingly, or even not at all. For me, overkill would be even more powerful cars - it's incredible how many 600 and 700 (or more) hp cars are street legal these days.

Agreed 100%.

Bought my wife a 2018 M2 and it's perfect for the street (based on our driving style).

Problem is I find myself driving it more than my 991.2 and she's not pleased to say the least.

A win win for me...
Appreciate 2
      01-09-2019, 01:02 PM   #75
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I was interested in jumping to M2 competition prematurely from less than a year old m240i. I test drove OGm2 as the M2c they had was not available for test drive.

The interior of OG M2 is exactly like my M240i except for carbon fibre (which did not add anything special to the interior as far as I am concerned). Of course the exterior especially the front and the aerial side view is more handsome than m240i. The OG M2 felt more solid, more planted and cornered better than M240i. It felt more safe at speed than m240i

However, it did not feel faster than my m240i, the standard exhaust note is worse than my m240i MPE (tested in comfort, sport and sport+). I did not hear the sonorous note some have talked about. It would be a better tracking car for sure

Overall I was not wowed enough compared to my m240i to go ahead and take the financial penalty to jump to M2c.

In the future, I know i would change to a full M car or AMG but I would continue to enjoy my m240i for the next 2 to 3years.

If you were to tune the M2C it would be an absolute animal compared to the m240i or tuned m240i.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 09:54 PM   #76
joec1101
BMW Fanaddict
Rep
Drives: '18 F87 ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
It's silly how the sheep around the car culture stratosphere have been brainwashed to think that tracking their car is somehow required.

A) you have a life to live. Unless you are a race car driver as a profession; tracking cars is NOT a priority. Driving it everyday is.

B) wanna go to a track? Sure sign up for a track day. Your lap times won't matter. What will matter is you'll have fun.

C) don't wanna track your car? Don't worry not everyone is going to take their daily driver to the track and wear every part out just so they have to repair it more.

D) live for everyday; not just the rare "track day"

YES M cars are made for everyday use. Whether you go to the track or you don't go to the track; enjoying driving is what is important. They are made for the snow, for the rain, for carrying kids around, for taking an apex at the track, for buying toilet paper at the supermarket, etc etc.

Don't let others define what you do with your car.
^
Couldn't have summed it up better -

NO ONE ever said you have to track your car or do anything else with it, except just enjoy the hell out of it in the short time you're on this insane planet...
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #77
jph28
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 6MT

Of course the M cars can be worth it without track days. If we all drove only what was “needed” we’d be in base Civics 95% of the time...

That said, track days can really open your eyes to the car’s ability and generally how much fun you can have driving. I’ve done a couple autox in the M2, no track yet, but did ~35 track days in my E46 M3. Easily one of the most fun hobbies I’ve ever had (albeit one of the priciest); very highly recommended.
      01-21-2019, 05:50 PM   #78
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:

Well you compare m240i mpe to stock m2 exhaust

Try comparing to m2 mpe and you will hear 'sonorous'

Theres a good vid by joe achilles with m240i and og m2 comparison
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 02:57 PM   #79
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Well you compare m240i mpe to stock m2 exhaust

Try comparing to m2 mpe and you will hear 'sonorous'

Theres a good vid by joe achilles with m240i and OG m2 comparison
The impression i got from forums was that a stock OG m2 exhaust would sound better than the m240i MPE. The m240i MPE is only really noticeable in Sport and Sport+ modes
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 07:23 PM   #80
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Alot of acoustics sound different from the inside due to the Asd, are u judging by listening from the outside?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 07:35 PM   #81
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

I just listened to some clips, idk were u get that 240i mp3 sounds better than stock m2

The m2 stock still sounds more throaty!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 02:15 PM   #82
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Alot of acoustics sound different from the inside due to the Asd, are u judging by listening from the outside?
There is no ASD with MPE M240i but the M2 as ASD I presume, since it was a dealer car. I am judging from listening whilst inside with the windows up.

To be sincere I would prefer M2 as my daily drive as I was enjoying its stiffness and sense of purpose without necessarily speeding. I know I would get there one day (when finances are right)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 07:27 PM   #83
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

I listened to clips of 240i with mpe and stock m2, i would not agree the m2 sounds worse
Appreciate 0