Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 2020 BMW M5C

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
From 2011 S/C M3 to 2018 M2

Update on Post 15

--- Original Post ---
I never thought the day would come where I would part out and sell my M3. Got it completely stock, even with a front plate, then took it to a supercharged beast. 2 weeks later I decided to get rid of it because for some reason I really enjoyed driving the 2012 135i I had at the time. It was probably the size aspect that I really enjoyed. I wasn't planning to buy another car for a while, but I justified selling both cars to pick up one that was newer, a mix of both. M3 will probably be posted for sale in February if anyone is interested (2011, ZCP, DCT, 84k miles).

I sold the 135 to my friend, parted out the M3, and picked up a 2018 M2.
It's a BSM with Exec pack, DCT, CarPlay, and most importantly (to me) no moonroof. I got about $9000 off the MSRP including discounts and rebates.
To me this is the best M car since the E92 M3, probably better than the M3 too in many ways. Just finished my break in on 1/4/18 so now the fun begins. To put it in perspective, the M3 had Ohlins suspension, Hotchkis front and rear sway bars, all the bushings done, and I think that the M2 handles better in its stock form than the M3 ever did.

So far I've blacked out the car in terms of side gills, badges, and reflectors. Put on an Injen intake, did some interior stuff like paddles and carbon shifter.
Coming soon for cosmetics are HRE FF01, KW HAS kit (to be replaced with AST 5200 in the future), and BayOptiks blackout lights. I'm really thinking of getting TE37 or BBS LM-R at some point to replace the FF01, but not set on that yet.

I've ordered all the Stage 2 performance stuff (CSF FMIC, ER chargepipes, BM3, and Injen intake) from Mike@x-ph. Catless downpipe will be coming with the Meisterschaft Super GT exhaust. In the mean time, I've already flashed BM3 Stage 1 and the GTS tune for the DCT.

I only have about 1600 miles on the car but I am loving every minute of it so far. Hopefully I can track it this year with some friends, and I know there will be a lot of canyon carving when the weather picks up. Really happy I didn't go with the M2C since the N55 sounds sooo much better. I understand the power appeal of the S55, but I'm not planning to do a 700whp build on an M2. I'll probably do Pure Stage 2 turbo in 2020 to get 500whp and it'll be enough for me.

--- 2/8/19 Update ---

I took the car to dyno at Wicked1 in Fremont while on the proTUNING Freaks Stage 1 file.
Left disappointed but relieved I guess. The car put down 306whp and about 350tq. Clearly something was wrong with the car but at least I wasn't just driving it in the broken state.
I did some data logging and turns out the car was missing target boost by 1.5-2psi so there was a leak. I took it to BMW hoping they would fix the leak since its a pretty new car with 1600 miles and there was clearly evidence of the issue. The SAs at the dealer are great, but the head tech is apparently an idiot. he goes on a test drive and says he thinks nothing is wrong with the car. I reiterated the evidence backing my issue and he maintained his position. I speak to the SA and he says they'll probably hook it up to the computer and since there are no codes, they will say nothing is wrong and give it back to me.

So I took the car home, figured it would just be a waste of my time to leave it there. I already had my new ER charge pipes and CSF FMIC at home, so it seemed as good a time as any to install it and hope to fix the leak. I put everything in, and for some reason without doing any logging, went back to the dyno. This time the car put down about 345whp/365tq. Much better than before but still not what I wanted since there was a 2016 M2 at the same dyno a couple weeks before me which put down 365whp stock and 385whp after a Stage 1 flash from Shiv at OFT.

I took the numbers as is and went home. On my way, I give it full throttle then POP, no boost at all. Get home and charge pipe blew off. So I take the opportunity to mess with all the connections and retighten the couplers. Once it's done I data log and boost looks good, PSI is matching target. Didn't bother going to the dyno again, next time I go will be with my catless downpipe and maybe E85.

Speaking of which, I'll be adding the XDI-60 HPFP soon from TuningTech FS to run full E85 on Stage 2 and be able to do the same when the Pure Turbo goes on later this year. My Stage 2 tunes will be custom from Shiv since he made good numbers on my friend's stock F10 M5.

I'll post up dyno charts of my next runs since I think the first two times had boost issues with the car to be accurate.
Attached Images

Interlagos Blue/Speed Cloth | BayOptiks DTM Headlights | Alpine Stage 2 | KW Clubsport | Resonated X-Pipe | Eisenmann Race | StopTech BBK | TE37SL | YFCM CF Driveshaft | Hotchkis F/R Sways | F/R Endlinks | Turner Control Arms and Front Tension Bushings | Powerflex Diff Bushings | Turner Solid Subframe Bushings | MS Underdrive Pulley and Intake | Alpine DCT Tune | Karbonius Intake | Carbon Roof (TBD)

Last edited by pooyab; 03-30-2019 at 12:07 AM..
Appreciate 8
trey1001125.00
FIDDIE12.00
JTO245271.50
skiparock182.50
AngryBaby344.50
      01-14-2019, 07:52 PM   #2
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Congrats ! It’s a winner for sure
Appreciate 1
pooyab330.00
      01-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #3
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

Do you miss the S65 V8 M3 engine sound?
M2, in my opinion sounds good but not special like the e92 M3!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:40 PM   #4
pooyab
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan33 View Post
Do you miss the S65 V8 M3 engine sound?
M2, in my opinion sounds good but not special like the e92 M3!
Yea I'll definitely miss the S65 for sound and red line. I think I'll pick up an E90 w/ DCT in the far future if I have money to burn.
My M3 had Meisterschaft GT2 and catless bimmerworld Xpipe so it sounded pretty epic.
Interlagos Blue/Speed Cloth | BayOptiks DTM Headlights | Alpine Stage 2 | KW Clubsport | Resonated X-Pipe | Eisenmann Race | StopTech BBK | TE37SL | YFCM CF Driveshaft | Hotchkis F/R Sways | F/R Endlinks | Turner Control Arms and Front Tension Bushings | Powerflex Diff Bushings | Turner Solid Subframe Bushings | MS Underdrive Pulley and Intake | Alpine DCT Tune | Karbonius Intake | Carbon Roof (TBD)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 10:30 PM   #5
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Congrats! What parking lot is that?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:08 AM   #6
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Looks good, congrats.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 04:03 AM   #7
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Congrats, car looks great. Interesting note about handling compared to your moded E92 M3. I was considering those as well before deciding on the M2 and I’m also all smiles about handling and the feel. I miss having a V8 though.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 08:02 AM   #8
CryptoM2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
Looks like somewhere on treasure island
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #9
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

Welcome to the M2 fam///
Also had E90M supercharged still two different cars...(got to love the V8)
But the m2 is a Perfect Balance car
Remind me of the my E46 M3 back in the day...

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #10
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #11
pooyab
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
Thanks, its near the naval base in Alameda. Not sure what the name is exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
Looks good, congrats.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Congrats, car looks great. Interesting note about handling compared to your moded E92 M3. I was considering those as well before deciding on the M2 and I’m also all smiles about handling and the feel. I miss having a V8 though.
V8 was nice, they're really different. But actually having torque is nice too lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange fever View Post
Welcome to the M2 fam///
Also had E90M supercharged still two different cars...(got to love the V8)
But the m2 is a Perfect Balance car
Remind me of the my E46 M3 back in the day...
Yep, very different. A lot of people seem to say it reminds them of the E46 but I've never driven or owned one so I can't say for myself. Still a great car regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphiveo View Post
Congratulations!
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 06:37 PM   #12
pooyab
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2/8/19 Update

I took the car to dyno at Wicked1 in Fremont while on the proTUNING Freaks Stage 1 file.
Left disappointed but relieved I guess. The car put down 306whp and about 350tq. Clearly something was wrong with the car but at least I wasn't just driving it in the broken state.
I did some data logging and turns out the car was missing target boost by 1.5-2psi so there was a leak. I took it to BMW hoping they would fix the leak since its a pretty new car with 1600 miles and there was clearly evidence of the issue. The SAs at the dealer are great, but the head tech is apparently an idiot. he goes on a test drive and says he thinks nothing is wrong with the car. I reiterated the evidence backing my issue and he maintained his position. I speak to the SA and he says they'll probably hook it up to the computer and since there are no codes, they will say nothing is wrong and give it back to me.

So I took the car home, figured it would just be a waste of my time to leave it there. I already had my new ER charge pipes and CSF FMIC at home, so it seemed as good a time as any to install it and hope to fix the leak. I put everything in, and for some reason without doing any logging, went back to the dyno. This time the car put down about 345whp/365tq. Much better than before but still not what I wanted since there was a 2016 M2 at the same dyno a couple weeks before me which put down 365whp stock and 385whp after a Stage 1 flash from Shiv at OFT.

I took the numbers as is and went home. On my way, I give it full throttle then POP, no boost at all. Get home and charge pipe blew off. So I take the opportunity to mess with all the connections and retighten the couplers. Once it's done I data log and boost looks good, PSI is matching target. Didn't bother going to the dyno again, next time I go will be with my catless downpipe and maybe E85.

Speaking of which, I'll be adding the XDI-60 HPFP soon from TuningTech FS to run full E85 on Stage 2 and be able to do the same when the Pure Turbo goes on later this year. My Stage 2 tunes will be custom from Shiv since he made good numbers on my friend's stock F10 M5.

I'll post up dyno charts of my next runs since I think the first two times had boost issues with the car to be accurate.
Appreciate 1
akkando5863.00
      02-08-2019, 06:45 PM   #13
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooyab View Post
2/8/19 Update

damn, missed opportunity to find out what stage 1 does, if anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 06:51 PM   #14
pooyab
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooyab View Post
2/8/19 Update

damn, missed opportunity to find out what stage 1 does, if anything.
Based on the other M2 it definitely does something. I just got tired of spending $100 to go and be disappointed.

Guess I have bad luck though, because we actually took our C63S too when we first got it, and it put down like 260whp (clearly an issue again), the chart was backwards, peak at 2k then straight down from there. This time the dealer did fix it and we went back to the dyno and it put down 460whp/460tq
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 12:06 AM   #15
pooyab
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
3/29/19 Update

The car is now running proTUNING Freaks Stage 2 91oct map. Also after a 3 month wait, I finally have my Meisterschaft exhaust installed. I purchased the full system including downpipe, and it's very loud. It drones a decent amount around 2.8k-3.2k RPM but 80mph on the highway fall right below the threshold, which is great. Did a quick before and after video. Will get a better one later with a drive by and warmed up revs.
First track day on 3/2 was a success. Had lots of fun with friends, the car was great, but I started to noticed some improvement areas, mainly brake fluid and tires since it was all stock. Can't wait for the next one!

I've also lowered the car on KW springs. Up next will most likely be TuningTech FS XDI-60 HPFP to run E85 for a while, and also have enough headroom to run E85 when I have Pure Turbos installed.
Loving the car as is for the time being

Attached Images

Last edited by pooyab; 03-30-2019 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
KO768.00