Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
They're dying for you to lease an M3 CS which is dead in the water with lots of inventory all over the country. Lots of incentives available and more likely coming if these don't finally start to move. Here's an example M3 CS. Of course this is a 10k/yr example...
I have actually been slightly tempted by an M3CS at my local dealer. The F80/92/87 are the last M cars that will get true DCT transmissions, so I have been looking at an M2C to make sure I get the transmission I want. But the Lime Rock Gray and black 763Ms look incredible on the F80...it's definitely worth considering.
      01-29-2019, 11:36 AM   #24
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I have actually been slightly tempted by an M3CS at my local dealer. The F80/92/87 are the last M cars that will get true DCT transmissions, so I have been looking at an M2C to make sure I get the transmission I want. But the Lime Rock Gray and black 763Ms look incredible on the F80...it's definitely worth considering.
I have two beefs with the M3 CS. No Comfort Access is the first -- if it actually "saved weight" then they might have an argument, but the door handles are a wash, and then you've got one module and the wire antennas, so at best it might have saved 1lb. Hence imo crazy stupid to delete that for 1lb or less.

Second is the HVAC system and deleting the dual zone and rear zone. Those ducts are plastic to begin with, and the dual zone setup up front couldn't be at best more than 1-2 lbs extra compared to the base single zone unit.

I get the feeling that the two above examples were marketing decisions meant to entice those (w/o critical thinking skills) who can be bowled over with double-speak about "weight savings", "you're getting a race car", etc, BS...

Sigh.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 3
dmboone254972.00
Poochie9103.00
      01-29-2019, 12:03 PM   #25
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik5ta View Post
In my opinion, this all comes down to the applicable interest rates (money factor in connection with the lease). Assuming the applicable finance charge (interest/money factor) is equal, I think it may be a better decision to opt for a lease even if you intend on buying and holding the vehicle for the long-term. By doing so, you put yourself in the same position with respect to long-term ownership (through the lease buy-out option), but also arbitrage: (i) your risk of the car being a lemon, (ii) the risk of an accident that may severely diminish value, (iii) tax surcharges, as these only apply to individual payments in connection with a lease, and (iv) the risk of market volatility that may result in the car having a much lower value than we all expect. Lastly, you gain the value of the buy-out option itself. This option is valuable for the foregoing reasons, and also because it permits you to evaluate the M2 Competition against any other vehicle BMW may bring to market in the near future (like the M3/M4 Pure, which sounds interesting to say the least).

One final thought- don’t get caught up on the actual monthly payment unless the $100-200 variation is truly meaningful to you in the current period. The lease payments may be artificially high because of an unrealistically low residual value, but this also means that your lease buy-out opportunity may end up being below-market.
Nice to see someone else who recognizes the value of risk mitigation, and nice to see you getting lots of appreciation points. Talking like this around here is too often like talking about antioxidants on a jelly donut forum. Far too many people focus only on the monthly payment or look only at the monetary outlay with no consideration for the fact that a lot can go wrong after you drive off the dealer's lot.

As someone else pointed out re: the M2C vs. X3M, if you look at only the monthly payment then of course the math makes no sense. You have to look at the lease buyout as well - aside from one having a much higher MSRP the difference in residuals and resultant payment disparity result in disproportionate lease buyout requirements.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2019, 12:32 PM   #26
nik5ta
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, HS 6MT (soon!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik5ta View Post
In my opinion, this all comes down to the applicable interest rates (money factor in connection with the lease). Assuming the applicable finance charge (interest/money factor) is equal, I think it may be a better decision to opt for a lease even if you intend on buying and holding the vehicle for the long-term. By doing so, you put yourself in the same position with respect to long-term ownership (through the lease buy-out option), but also arbitrage: (i) your risk of the car being a lemon, (ii) the risk of an accident that may severely diminish value, (iii) tax surcharges, as these only apply to individual payments in connection with a lease, and (iv) the risk of market volatility that may result in the car having a much lower value than we all expect. Lastly, you gain the value of the buy-out option itself. This option is valuable for the foregoing reasons, and also because it permits you to evaluate the M2 Competition against any other vehicle BMW may bring to market in the near future (like the M3/M4 Pure, which sounds interesting to say the least).

One final thought- don't get caught up on the actual monthly payment unless the $100-200 variation is truly meaningful to you in the current period. The lease payments may be artificially high because of an unrealistically low residual value, but this also means that your lease buy-out opportunity may end up being below-market.
Nice to see someone else who recognizes the value of risk mitigation, and nice to see you getting lots of appreciation points. Talking like this around here is too often like talking about antioxidants on a jelly donut forum. Far too many people focus only on the monthly payment or look only at the monetary outlay with no consideration for the fact that a lot can go wrong after you drive off the dealer's lot.

As someone else pointed out re: the M2C vs. X3M, if you look at only the monthly payment then of course the math makes no sense. You have to look at the lease buyout as well - aside from one having a much higher MSRP the difference in residuals and resultant payment disparity result in disproportionate lease buyout requirements.
Thank you!
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2019, 12:33 PM   #27
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post

This. /thread
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2019, 01:12 PM   #28
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I agree about people only looking at the monthly but can you blame them? It's what they will be responsible for, for the duration of the term every month.

Many people would rather lease then move on to something else, not many have the lump sum to pay off what's left after the lease.

Could finance the remainder....but why on earth would you want to pay interest for another...what 2/3 years?

I'm fairly confident the majority focus on that monthly...and from examples given above, they'd probably go for more car and pay what they see....the monthly.

The majority are about the now(monthly) not later(residual). They could care less about residual when they know they'll be dumping the car. I've seen this mentality very often. Normally from younger buyers.
Appreciate 3
dmboone254972.00
Poochie9103.00
      01-31-2019, 08:42 AM   #29
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
I agree with you 100%; the M3 CS is only like a 70 - 100lbs lighter than the regular CP; how much weight does omitting the Comfort Access feature possible save to have any meaningful impact on the vehicle's performance.

The 'light-weight concept' of the CS is just a subliminal way for BMW to pass of the vehicle as a track or limited edition version and save a buck or two in the process by eliminating some standard options. In which bizarreo world doesn't less equal more :

I see little value in the CS vs the CP other than marketing fluff.

I assume the upcoming M2 CS will follow the same strategy; a M2C flooded with carbon fiber parts standard, a frozen color and minus some standard features. Voila, a M2 CS is born.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0