BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track Camera Mounting Solutions?

07-06-2020, 02:49 PM   #1
FollowMyLine
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Track Camera Mounting Solutions?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking at picking up an M2 Competition and am an avid track day junkie. What are you all doing to get footage of the interior cabin space? I'm coming from an SS 1LE where the Recaro seat has a headrest that was adjustable, so I used a headrest mount. That doesn't appear to be an option on an M2C.

Here is video in my Camaro for reference of what I'm trying to do:

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 03:03 PM   #2
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Can I ask what made you switch? In my opinion for a track day car SS 1LE is hard to beat. I'm also a track junkie, came from a '14 Mustang GT Track Pack, have an OG M2 right now, but considering Mach 1, SS 1LE and C7 Grand Sport when I get back to the States.

Edit: By the way, you Camaro sounds AMAZING. Part of the experience I've been missing. Did you use an external mic?
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 07-06-2020 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2020, 04:42 PM   #3
FollowMyLine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Can I ask what made you switch? In my opinion for a track day car SS 1LE is hard to beat. I'm also a track junkie, came from a '14 Mustang GT Track Pack, have an OG M2 right now, but considering Mach 1, SS 1LE and C7 Grand Sport when I get back to the States.

Edit: By the way, you Camaro sounds AMAZING. Part of the experience I've been missing. Did you use an external mic?
Hitting the wall at the kink and totaling the Camaro forced my hand to look for a new car. Things happen. Yes, I used an external mic. The car had the stock exhaust on it. Here is some more video of the recording equipment I use and how it was setup:

I'm not monetized, so I swear I'm not just trying to post my vids lol. I did make a video on my channel describing what it was like to deal with track day insurance and video of the wreck at RA.
Appreciate 1
omasou2086.50
      07-06-2020, 05:05 PM   #4
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Oh man, glad you're safe! Thanks for sharing the AV setup video. I like it! I normally just suction cup a Go Pro to my windshield and run harry's on my phone. Your set up is more pro for sure.

I checked out your channel and the video you mentioned. You fought and tried saving it till the end, and like you said, shit happens. That's why we use track insurance. The rest is plastic and bent metal.

Glad to hear your experience with Hagerty was pretty good. I've used them in the past.

M2C will be a very capable car, yet a very different car. Enjoy and get back on that horse!

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 10:28 PM   #5
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I would use a suction mount on the driver's or passenger window. It's not the same camera angle, but I think it's the next best option. Or even a helmet mount.

You can also do a suction mount on the rear window, but I'm not sure the focal length is long enough on the gopro. You'd also have to use a remote or voice control to start/stop recording since you can't reach the camera anymore.

This issue was brought up before, but I don't have the threads on hand to see what solutions others came up with. You'd have to search for them.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 10:29 PM   #6
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

I suppose another idea I just had... would require building something. But you can suction mount a pole between the two rear quarter windows, and mount the camera to that.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 12:07 AM   #7
FollowMyLine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I would use a suction mount on the driver's or passenger window. It's not the same camera angle, but I think it's the next best option. Or even a helmet mount.

You can also do a suction mount on the rear window, but I'm not sure the focal length is long enough on the gopro. You'd also have to use a remote or voice control to start/stop recording since you can't reach the camera anymore.

This issue was brought up before, but I don't have the threads on hand to see what solutions others came up with. You'd have to search for them.
Most tracks require the driver and passenger windows to be down all the way for safety reasons. I was thinking the rear passenger glass could work but I'd have to stabilize the camera somehow, without risking it becoming undone during a track session. The dual-suction between the rear side windows may work if I can find something long enough. Thanks for the idea!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 08:04 PM   #8
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

The clubs here only require the window down if there’s someone in the seat, so passenger window could be up if driver is only person in the car.

Went out like that by mistake last weekend; holy crap was the buffeting strong. I don’t recommend 1 window open at track speeds.

The suction cup pole idea is a good one. I wonder if such a thing exists?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 02:19 AM   #9
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

It is crazy to me that you guys in the states run with the windows down.

Like there is rubber and gravel flying around (I cracked a windshield on track) that could fly into the passenger compartment.

I use my dashcam and rotate the rear cam so that it films inwards.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1weS...ew?usp=sharing
      07-08-2020, 04:36 AM   #10
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post

Like there is rubber and gravel flying around (I cracked a windshield on track) that could fly into the passenger compartment.

And I find it difficult to adjust to running with windows closed to be honest. We do track days in the summer, it's hot, and I need to keep my windows up and what ... turn on the AC?
I drop mine a little now just to get airflow, but close them on the really high speed sections.

Appreciate 1
Megator517.50
      07-08-2020, 04:48 AM   #11
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
And I find it difficult to adjust to running with windows closed to be honest. We do track days in the summer, it's hot, and I need to keep my windows up and what ... turn on the AC?
I drop mine a little now just to get airflow, but close them on the really high speed sections.
Yup im part of the AC gang haha (and even heated seats/wheel in the winter ). Wonder how much that costs me per lap.
      07-08-2020, 11:41 AM   #12
FollowMyLine
Rep

I'm wondering if I can use this mount with a short extension arm on it to extend just past the headrest, using the back window location:

Delkin DDMNT-TRIPLE Fat Gecko Three-Arm Suction Mount

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00A86MM..._yBFbFbZ03VVCX
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 11:43 AM   #13
FollowMyLine
Rep

Quote:

That's a good idea, I might need to use something better than a GoPro to get the right lens and zoom level.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 12:26 PM   #14
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowMyLine View Post
That's a good idea, I might need to use something better than a GoPro to get the right lens and zoom level.
The problem with the dashcam is that it makes small 1min films (some let you change this) and then you need to stich em all together.

For some reason my cam also eats a couple miliseconds every minute, so you see these jump cuts.

It also means that the rear goes out of sync with the front cam.

All in all I would look into the dashcam 1st to make sure it does not have these issues.
      07-08-2020, 12:30 PM   #15
FollowMyLine
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The problem with the dashcam is that it makes small 1min films (some let you change this) and then you need to stich em all together.

For some reason my cam also eats a couple miliseconds every minute, so you see these jump cuts.

It also means that the rear goes out of sync with the front cam.

All in all I would look into the dashcam 1st to make sure it does not have these issues.
Good info! I was thinking more like an SLR camera that can record at 1080p60 that I could attach a better lens to.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 02:23 PM   #16
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm wondering if I can use this mount with a short extension arm on it to extend just past the headrest, using the back window location:

I have the dual suction cup version of that. It doesn't really hold the weight of my camera setup that's 5-6lbs. But the three cup version seems a ton more stable.

The problem I see with a mount just on one window, with an extension coming out is that there is too much leverage at the end. Even with the gopro not weighing that much. Won't make for stable footage. Which is why I recommended spanning an extension across both windows.

Something like this may work better, and you won't need the suction cups. Just gotta find one of the proper length. Maybe there is an extendable shower curtain rod that's friction mount like that.

I suggest against using a full blown interchangable lens camera because they are just too heavy. Too much to worry about when you're at speed on a track and too much of a hassle finding proper mounting for one. Gopro is the best camera for it.

https://www.amazon.com/SIQUK-Cupboar...4236018&sr=8-4

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 02:27 PM   #17
FollowMyLine
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I have the dual suction cup version of that. It doesn't really hold the weight of my camera setup that's 5-6lbs. But the three cup version seems a ton more stable.

The problem I see with a mount just on one window, with an extension coming out is that there is too much leverage at the end. Even with the gopro not weighing that much. Won't make for stable footage. Which is why I recommended spanning an extension across both windows.

Something like this may work better, and you won't need the suction cups. Just gotta find one of the proper length. Maybe there is an extendable shower curtain rod that's friction mount like that.

https://www.amazon.com/SIQUK-Cupboar...018&sr=8-4

That's a great idea too! Could use a rollbar mount for the camera with that, or this:

AmazonBasics Rust Resistant Easy to Install Tension Shower Doorway Curtain Rod, 36-54", Black

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B073Q7Q9..._23HbFbDAM9PVG

I suppose I could just get a Brey-Krause harness bar too lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 03:42 PM   #18
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
That's a great idea too! Could use a rollbar mount for the camera with that, or this:

AmazonBasics Rust Resistant Easy to Install Tension Shower Doorway Curtain Rod, 36-54", Black

You can skip the brey-krause and donate to me some of that money I saved you
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 09:14 PM   #19
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:

They’re worried about extracting the driver from the aftermath of a wreck, or at least that’s the rationale I’ve heard. I’m not sure I buy in to that though. To your point, I’ve taken some tire slag to the shoulder once or twice and it stings a bit. I could see a larger chunk of rubber or a rock potentially being dangerous.

Anthony1s - to get back on topic, good idea on the shower rod or something similar. Might work. Who’s going to give this a shot?
Appreciate 1
Megator517.50
      07-09-2020, 12:54 AM   #20
FollowMyLine
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You can skip the brey-krause and donate to me some of that money I saved you
Is there a known issue with the BK harness bar? I'm not just going to use it for a camera mount lol. I'd use it with a harness as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 12:56 AM   #21
FollowMyLine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
Quote:

They’re worried about extracting the driver from the aftermath of a wreck, or at least that’s the rationale I’ve heard. I’m not sure I buy in to that though. To your point, I’ve taken some tire slag to the shoulder once or twice and it stings a bit. I could see a larger chunk of rubber or a rock potentially being dangerous.

Anthony1s - to get back on topic, good idea on the shower rod or something similar. Might work. Who’s going to give this a shot?
I'm going to give a few options a shot, including the curtain rod. Could someone measure the distance glass to glass for me in the M2? I have another car I use as a daily driver. It's also a 2-door coupe with similar rear window dimensions as the M2.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 03:07 AM   #22
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm going to give a few options a shot, including the curtain rod. Could someone measure the distance glass to glass for me in the M2? I have another car I use as a daily driver. It's also a 2-door coupe with similar rear window dimensions as the M2.
I would hesitate with that shower curtain bar. One good braking or drifting moment and itll come loose as its only held by friction/tension.

Also may becomes a bit of a javelin in a crash...

Maybe we need to take a step back, what are you trying to achieve video quality wise?

My dashcam does 1080p and 60fps when only using the front cam (or 1080p at 30fps when using both cams).

The video may not show it due to YT compression and the SW I use exporting in 720p (BTW if anyone has a free alternative to Lightworks I would gladly hear it.)

A gopro also does 1080p 60FPS and is much lighter an easier to mount. I have the official mount and it held on fine for all the drifting sessions. (Admitedly I changed the position every 20-30min).

BK makes some good stuff so I am sure the harness bar is more than capable of being a seatbelt mount. Having said that 4+ point harness + fixed back bucket - rollbar is not really recomended.

BTW other pros of a dashcam as a track cam

1) Dont have to set it up each time. Its literaly rotate the rear cam (and rotate the image in settings) and ur up and running.
2) No need to worry about batteries and power cords, its all wired up already
3) Its a dashcam and give all the dashcam benefits.