BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 sound factors

05-22-2018, 03:25 AM   #1
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

M2 sound factors

As some of you may notice the M2 can sound different occasionally due to various things like temperature of internal parts and ambient temps. Some may notice after long hard drives the car doesn't burble as loud and doesn't back fire. Sometimes it will be less loud for a few days to a week.

Has anyone figured out a quick way to get the car back to normal? I haven't drove the car for about 5 days and I noticed the sound has subsided.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 03:51 AM   #2
KristianS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Mineral Grey

I think this is normal, especially with high performance cars with decent exhausts. You should get more pops and bangs if everything is really hot as the unburnt fuel ignites more violently in the hot exhaust.

I don't know much about ASD and how this is affected or if the pops and bangs are real i.e. fuel igniting in the exhaust. I am not sure why it pops and bangs like it does when you put in in comfort and traction mode. Can that really be due to fuel mapping and more unburnt fuel being ignited? Or is it artificial?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 04:08 AM   #3
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

ASD has no effect on the pops and bangs/burbles. The sound I hear is all externally. Also traction mode is a stand alone mode itself whether you are in comfort or sport.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 07:14 AM   #4
KristianS
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D CHOI View Post
ASD has no effect on the pops and bangs/burbles. The sound I hear is all externally. Also traction mode is a stand alone mode itself whether you are in comfort or sport.
Try putting it in traction whilst in comfort and then listen to the bangs...... much different from std comfort and louder than in other modes I think, certainly at low speed, there's a thread on it
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 07:49 AM   #5
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Long Beach Blue M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristianS View Post
Try putting it in traction whilst in comfort and then listen to the bangs...... much different from std comfort and louder than in other modes I think, certainly at low speed, there's a thread on it
Yes, Traction Mode is very different. But what he's saying is that it is it's own mode. There's no Comfort-Traction or Sport-Traction mode, it's just Traction Mode. No matter what mode you're in, pressing that button has the same result.

To answer the original thread, just give the car some time to warm up a bit. If the engine is cold, give it at least five minutes before trying to get some noise out of it. I always give it a few minutes to warm up before I get going, and have had no issues with the sound.
Appreciate 1
D CHOI580.00
      05-22-2018, 08:01 AM   #6
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Yes I always warm up the engine before I drive it hard every time. I actually find using traction mode warms up the engine faster because of the burbles.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 09:12 AM   #7
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Yes I always warm up the engine before I drive it hard every time. I actually find using traction mode warms up the engine faster because of the burbles.
Comfort and Traction also have a different temperature target. If you turn on the temperature display and let the car fully warm up in those modes versus Sport/Sport+ you'll notice a big difference in the final temperature. I don't know if it translates to a quicker warm up, but something to keep in mind. For that reason I use Sport and Sport+ after driving to start getting the temperatures down a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 09:22 AM   #8
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh_kross View Post
Comfort and Traction also have a different temperature target. If you turn on the temperature display and let the car fully warm up in those modes versus Sport/Sport+ you'll notice a big difference in the final temperature. I don't know if it translates to a quicker warm up, but something to keep in mind. For that reason I use Sport and Sport+ after driving to start getting the temperatures down a bit.
Are you talking about the oil temperature display?
      05-22-2018, 09:35 AM   #9
KristianS
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes, Traction Mode is very different. But what he's saying is that it is it's own mode. There's no Comfort-Traction or Sport-Traction mode, it's just Traction Mode. No matter what mode you're in, pressing that button has the same result.

To answer the original thread, just give the car some time to warm up a bit. If the engine is cold, give it at least five minutes before trying to get some noise out of it. I always give it a few minutes to warm up before I get going, and have had no issues with the sound.
I know its its own mode, thanks though!

How on earth does that answer the original thread!?! He's saying his car sounds different now compared to 5 days ago - consistently different is my understanding of what he said. Personally I think that is down to atmospheric conditions, how the car has been driven etc. However, there are also others who believe updating the software has altered their cars sound permanently, so who knows. OP, have you changed or updated software?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 10:51 AM   #10
gtaM2
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
As some of you may notice the M2 can sound different occasionally due to various things like temperature of internal parts and ambient temps. Some may notice after long hard drives the car doesn't burble as loud and doesn't back fire. Sometimes it will be less loud for a few days to a week.

Has anyone figured out a quick way to get the car back to normal? I haven't drove the car for about 5 days and I noticed the sound has subsided.
i know exactly what you mean, this stuff really drives me nuts, you probably dont get much rain where you are but i find when it rains the car is so quiet for a few days, its almost as if moist is getting in and messing with a sensor no clue but i am starting to live with it, this car is the most moody car i have ever had
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #11
KristianS
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaM2 View Post
i know exactly what you mean, this stuff really drives me nuts, you probably dont get much rain where you are but i find when it rains the car is so quiet for a few days, its almost as if moist is getting in and messing with a sensor no clue but i am starting to live with it, this car is the most moody car i have ever had
Those pops and bangs in traction sound a bit false to me, how are they generated?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #12
gtaM2
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Those pops and bangs in traction sound a bit false to me, how are they generated?
lol how the heck would i know?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 12:03 PM   #13
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:

Does it sometimes sound different? Yes
Do I worry about it? No

It always comes back.

Speaking of burbles, have a listen to this.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      05-22-2018, 04:06 PM   #14
KristianS
Enlisted Member
Rep

Is it anti-lag? More unburnt fuel released into the manifold before the turbo?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 05:03 PM   #15
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Is it anti-lag? More unburnt fuel released into the manifold before the turbo?

Most know that the over runs are basically unburnt fuel hitting the hot exhaust but I find this interesting...could be the reason bmw scaled it back in the recent istep updates. I for one noticed a big difference with the update and while the subsequent update I received seemed to bring some of it back, I still feel it's nothing like the original istep I had.

Found this on pistonheads.com-

"WARNING

Anti-lag will result in very high exhaust gas temperatures. These may be reduced by adding extra fuel via the anti-lag fuel table although it should still be noted that anti-lag will significantly reduce the life of the turbocharger and manifolds."

The above refers to overrun being a method to address a problem vs bmw doing it deliberately.

*im no expert...just my interpretation.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      05-22-2018, 10:36 PM   #16
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Are you talking about the oil temperature display?
Yes.

I notice that my car when cold, doesn't pop at all. Maybe after a few revs you might get one or two, but I don't make a habit of revving the car cold. So I could see that if you ran the car cold for short distances, you wouldn't notice much pop noises. At least in my case. MY2018 with the MPE, but I noticed the same behavior without it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 02:20 AM   #17
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

How on earth does that answer the original thread!?! He's saying his car sounds different now compared to 5 days ago - consistently different is my understanding of what he said. Personally I think that is down to atmospheric conditions, how the car has been driven etc. However, there are also others who believe updating the software has altered their cars sound permanently, so who knows. OP, have you changed or updated software?
Quote:
Quote:

No I haven't updated the software. I can tell the sound when also lifting off the throttle it doesn't fart as loud. When it is normal It almost feels like the exhaust has no resistant thru out and it sounds so pure.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 03:03 AM   #18
KristianS
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
Most know that the over runs are basically unburnt fuel hitting the hot exhaust but I find this interesting...could be the reason bmw scaled it back in the recent istep updates. I for one noticed a big difference with the update and while the subsequent update I received seemed to bring some of it back, I still feel it's nothing like the original istep I had.

Found this on pistonheads.com-

"WARNING

Anti-lag will result in very high exhaust gas temperatures. These may be reduced by adding extra fuel via the anti-lag fuel table although it should still be noted that anti-lag will significantly reduce the life of the turbocharger and manifolds."

The above refers to overrun being a method to address a problem vs bmw doing it deliberately.

*im no expert...just my interpretation.
I think it must be anti-lag and it would make sense to me why it pops and bangs more in traction - if you reduce lag and create more response then you can control the car better at the limit so putting it in traction would initiate a stronger anti-lag component allowing better response at the limit. With all the aids on it's less critical as any sensed loss of traction etc will result in braking or engine power reduction.

And also why that 8 series pops and bangs so much!
Appreciate 1
Dabozo624.50
      07-02-2020, 08:39 AM   #19
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:

Quote:

Old thread revived - did your burble end up coming back? If so - was anything specific done?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 09:38 AM   #20
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Burbles and pops in this car are electronically controlled. There is no unburnt fuel anywhere.

Using tunes like BM3 allows you to customize this setting.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 03:32 PM   #21
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank.m2 View Post
Quote:

Does it sometimes sound different? Yes
Do I worry about it? No

It always comes back.

Speaking of burbles, have a listen to this.

Simply lovely

Sounds absolutely epic @ 6:55
      07-06-2020, 04:50 PM   #22
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Old thread revived - did your burble end up coming back? If so - was anything specific done?
yea the burble eventually came back. But now I have bm3 tune so I have all the customizations. However overtime my burbles aren't as crisp / separated as before after mixing 100 octane fuel. Not sure if that's due to bad 200 cell HJS cat. I have cat monitoring off so it doesn't throw CEL.
Appreciate 0