BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Map version

06-22-2020, 11:55 AM   #1
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Map version

Hey Guys,

Just moved from Ct to Florida, and my maps are whack. I just changed my region to the southeast in my connected drive portal but I cant tell what my current map version is and if its ever been updated even though Im subscribed to Connected drive and have the auto-update map feature.. Here is my current version.. Does this mean I havent had an update since 2017, ie never, or do i use the bottom figure showing 2020-21? Thanks:
Attached Images

Last edited by boostm3; 06-22-2020 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 12:20 PM   #2
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Hey Guys,

Just moved from Ct to Florida, and my maps are whack. I just changed my region to the southeast in my connected drive portal but I cant tell what my current map version is and if its ever been updated even though Im subscribed to Connected drive and have the auto-update map feature.. Here is my current version.. Does this mean I havent had an update since 2017, ie never, or do i use the bottom figure showing 2020-21? Thanks:
Hey, Connected Drive only auto updates the region you select through the portal. Some dealers, like mine will update the complete map if you ask. Some will make you pay for it. Or, the maps can be found online for DYI and it is much cheaper. I did my wife's 2016 X3 with no problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 04:01 PM   #3
YakyYaky
Private
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C HS, 20 X3MC PB

Garage List
Whoa? There's an auto map update feature? Didn't know that...

I've always used the BMW Download Manager on Windows, sign into it using my ConnectedDrive account and download the map onto a USB Stick and update manually on my M2C.
Perhaps you can try that and it might download a bigger region? I'd assume auto update is just saving SIM card data or something.

Where I'm at - New Zealand, we're so small that our map data that we get lumped together with the Aussie Map updates...

Anyway, You can get the download manager from the connected drive website once you've logged in. In the "Home" page for your car. On my pages, there was "USB Map Update" and "Map update". "Map update" is the link where you will be able to find the download manager. Below is what BMW Download manager looks like.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 04:07 PM   #4
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakyYaky View Post
Whoa? There's an auto map update feature? Didn't know that...

I've always used the BMW Download Manager on Windows, sign into it using my ConnectedDrive account and download the map onto a USB Stick and update manually on my M2C.
Perhaps you can try that and it might download a bigger region? I'd assume auto update is just saving SIM card data or something.

Where I'm at - New Zealand, we're so small that our map data that we get lumped together with the Aussie Map updates...
anyway, You can get the download manager from the connected drive website once you've logged in. In the "Home" page for your car. On my pages, there was "USB Map Update" and "Map update". "Map update" is the link where you will be able to find the download manager. Below is what BMW Download manager looks like.
We're kind of fooked here in the USA wrt to that method; we dont have access to that Download Manager via our Connecteddrive Portal.
      06-23-2020, 12:08 PM   #5
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3, '18 M2, '22 X3M

Where do you change your region in the ConnectedDrive portal? I can't seem to find it. My maps are still set for the region from which I bought the car. I'd like to change it. I'm still subscribed to map updates thru 2021.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 12:16 PM   #6
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfisher99 View Post
Where do you change your region in the ConnectedDrive portal? I can't seem to find it. My maps are still set for the region from which I bought the car. I'd like to change it. I'm still subscribed to map updates thru 2021.
When you login to the portal web site, you should see a graphic display of your covered subscriptions/services. Select the one that says 'Map Update' and then 'Automatic Map Update'. That's where you select your region. I did that last week and it still hasn't updated there car nav yet. The system plain sucks, and hardly anyone knows how to force the update quickly. Maybe a trip to the dealer is required for them to force the map update and hope they don't charge.

Last edited by boostm3; 06-23-2020 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 01:04 PM   #7
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
When you login to the portal web site, you should see a graphic display of your covered subscriptions/services. Select the one that says 'Map Update' and then 'Automatic Map Update'. That's where you select your region. I did that last week and it still hasn't updated there car nav yet. The system plain sucks, and hardly anyone knows how to force the update quickly. Maybe a trip to the dealer is required for them to force the map update and hope they don't charge.
Oddly this is all I see. No where to change it:

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 01:06 PM   #8
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Nevermind - I found it... There's two spots that are kind of similar. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 01:11 PM   #9
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Select 'Map Update' and then automatic Map update. That should give you a list of regional selections to pick from
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 01:12 PM   #10
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The problem is getting it to download the appropriate map region to you. I haven't gotten anywhere with that.

Last edited by boostm3; 06-26-2020 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 08:08 PM   #11
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The problem is getting it to download the appropriate map region to you. I haven't gotten anywhere with that.
Mine actually updated the next day during my first drive. A couple minutes after I set off, I got a prompt on the screen that asked me if I wanted to update and that doing so would require a restart of the navigation system. It took a few mins, but seemed to be fine after that.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 08:35 PM   #12
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Mine actually updated the next day during my first drive. A couple minutes after I set off, I got a prompt on the screen that asked me if I wanted to update and that doing so would require a restart of the navigation system. It took a few mins, but seemed to be fine after that.
you're lucky, I read that with connected drive subscription, you'll get 3-4 automatic updates per year. Coincidentally, yours came right after you made your change. Mines still not changing, but I think I got one before I changed regions so it will probably be awhile although i might take it into the dealer and see if they can force it. The maps for my new region ( Florida) are unusable with the old region l(northeast) loaded. Tell me if you're new region's maps are more accurate than your old for your new location.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 07:55 PM   #13
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
you're lucky, I read that with connected drive subscription, you'll get 3-4 automatic updates per year. Coincidentally, yours came right after you made your change. Mines still not changing, but I think I got one before I changed regions so it will probably be awhile although i might take it into the dealer and see if they can force it. The maps for my new region ( Florida) are unusable with the old region l(northeast) loaded. Tell me if you're new region's maps are more accurate than your old for your new location.
So I looked at mine today and it still shows the wrong region at the bottom of the version list, but has the correct one above it. The wrong region shows 2019-7, the correct region one shows 2017-2. It has given me two prompts to restart for the update now but seems the same. Not sure what to think about that.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 01:47 AM   #14
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

All you need to do to update your car with the correct regional data is make sure BMW has the correct address for you (and your registered vehicle) in the ConnectedDrive Portal:

http://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com

The ConnectedDrive Portal will tell your registered car which map update to download over-the-air.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 07:23 AM   #15
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
All you need to do to update your car with the correct regional data is make sure BMW has the correct address for you (and your registered vehicle) in the ConnectedDrive Portal:

http://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com

The ConnectedDrive Portal will tell your registered car which map update to download over-the-air.
All of my address information was correct in my profile there and I didn't get the Texas map until I switched the region in the ConnectedDrive portal as was discussed earlier in this thread.
Appreciate 0