BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 Software Update issues

06-29-2018, 11:20 PM   #1
f50nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 M Coupe, 89 M3, 18 M2

M2 Software Update issues

So I had the car in for service the other day and the dealer let me know there was a software update available. I’m not sure what build, but assuming it’s the latest one.

I was hoping this update would replace the non-M 2 series animation.

Instead, it removed the animations altogether. When switching between Comfort, Sport and Sport+, there’s no longer an animation and explanation of the mode. So there’s also no easy link to the sport gauges like there used to be.

The animations still play when I enter both traction control modes, but sport button animations are gone.

Anyone else encounter this? Dealer has no info. They asked me to bring the car back in for another flash, but I don’t want to waste my time if this is normal.

They messed up my M Performance coil over install so I’m wondering if this was botched too.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #2
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by f50nut View Post
So I had the car in for service the other day and the dealer let me know there was a software update available. I’m not sure what build, but assuming it’s the latest one.

I was hoping this update would replace the non-M 2 series animation.

Instead, it removed the animations altogether. When switching between Comfort, Sport and Sport+, there’s no longer an animation and explanation of the mode. So there’s also no easy link to the sport gauges like there used to be.

The animations still play when I enter both traction control modes, but sport button animations are gone.

Anyone else encounter this? Dealer has no info. They asked me to bring the car back in for another flash, but I don’t want to waste my time if this is normal.

They messed up my M Performance coil over install so I’m wondering if this was botched too.
The dealer can't botch the update. The update is from BMW and dealer has no control of what the update does. The update is what it is. I try to never do the updates.
      06-30-2018, 09:33 PM   #3
f50nut
United_States
Rep

Makes sense.

Anyone experienced the same thing with the latest update?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 09:36 PM   #4
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
You can turn the driving mode animations on and off in idrive settings. If I were a betting man I'd say that they're not gone and they were just turned off by default after the update.

The traction animation can't be shut off which is why it was unaffected.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2018, 09:36 PM   #5
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by f50nut View Post
Makes sense.

Anyone experienced the same thing with the latest update?
Just hot key one of the number keys to the sport gauges. The sport gauges just seem to estimate what HP and Torque you're getting from the car based on throttle input anyway. Of all the problems you could have with a car, these seem extremely minor.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 09:44 PM   #6
f50nut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
You can turn the driving mode animations on and off in idrive settings. If I were a betting man I'd say that they're not gone and they were just turned off by default after the update.

The traction animation can't be shut off which is why it was unaffected.
Ah, didn't realize that, I'll check there first. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Just hot key one of the number keys to the sport gauges. The sport gauges just seem to estimate what HP and Torque you're getting from the car based on throttle input anyway. Of all the problems you could have with a car, these seem extremely minor.
Lol yeah yeah I know it's silly, but I'm OCD and it's a brand new car.
Appreciate 0