BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Paint protect film before spoiler install?

01-05-2018, 09:30 PM   #1
skiparock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 lbb manual

Paint protect film before spoiler install?

Getting ppf and spoiler. Those that have both, what did you install first? The spoiler and ppf had to go around it?
02 330xi (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 12:25 PM   #2
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Long Beach Blue M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I also have this question, as I was planning on getting the PPF done right after delivery, but was going to wait a while for the M Performance Carbon Fiber parts to install later down the line.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 11:30 PM   #3
bjstoner
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiparock View Post
Getting ppf and spoiler. Those that have both, what did you install first? The spoiler and ppf had to go around it?
The shop that did my PPF and spoiler did the entire car in the PPF first. If you do the spoiler first you will have to cut around it to do the trunk. Mine turned out great.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 10:24 AM   #4
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiparock View Post
Spoiler install does not matter with PPF as you CANNOT get the spoiler to be glued on the top of trunk lid covered with PPF.
My dealer installed the spoiler first and then I took it to the shop for PPF.

However, it might be better for you to do PPF for body and parts of front splitter and side winglets separately before you installed them as PPF installer would have to remove those parts in order to apply complete PPF on rocker/ front bumper.

I just want to have ppl to avoid ONE THING that I experienced.

TELL YOUR DEALER to be CAREFULL when they are installing the spoiler. Stock spoiler will need to be removed to install CF back on, and my dealer made strongly visible paint clear coat damage whiling they were removing it. I do not know what exact tools that they used to remove the stock one but it took my mommy to do some paint correction before PPF application + ceramic coating.

Make sure your dealer do not wash/ detail the car (dealers usually use hard-brushed automatic carwash which will be devistating to your beautiful paint finish leaving clear coat scratches and swirls).

I recommend you to be there when they are getting your vehicle delivery to the dealer and try to inspect any paint imperfection or damage including wheel/rim damage. MAKE SURE that you know that they are all fine before your dealer mechanics start their task. Tell them to be careful on the paint finish and other interior trims when installing so that you will have your voice to fight back if they do make any damage after.

Hope this helps

Last edited by alscks0414; 01-09-2018 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0