BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > She's getting there... (cosmetic detailing)

01-07-2018, 11:22 PM   #23
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
I had a full front clear bra done (full hood, bumper, fenders, back of mirrors) with Suntek Ultra. They also did the door edges & handle cups.

The rest of the car & wheels done with CQuartz FR.
Keep a close eye on those rockers, depending on your road conditions it might be worth covering them if your seeing any damage. I had visible damage at 3-4k so it did't take much. Our roads get a lot of small rocks on them from monsoon rains etc so it might be a problem mostly for AZ.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 11:27 PM   #24
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Keep a close eye on those rockers, depending on your road conditions it might be worth covering them if your seeing any damage. I had visible damage at 3-4k so it did't take much. Our roads get a lot of small rocks on them from monsoon rains etc so it might be a problem mostly for AZ.
Yeah, I'm SE of Phx...

So, did you add PPF to the rockers? Remove the factory film patch?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 12:17 AM   #25
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
That's exactly what I did and I'm really glad I went that route. The PPF is taking a beating. 1 year and only 6,000 miles and it's getting some serious abuse. I'll probably have to replace it along the rockers and where the factory strip was in front of the rear fender in another year or so. If you skipped this part, I'd highly recommend having it done!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 02:58 AM   #26
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I'm SE of Phx...

I had my guy remove the piece in front of the rear wheels and put a much larger piece that runs from the door to the wheel well and up to the line that runs down the side of the car. Much better protection and really hard to see the seams. The area I didn't have done initially was the rockers that run between the front and rear wheel openings under the door. Their shape just in front of the rear wheel makes them very susceptible to the rocks and crap coming off our roads. They are pitted now unfortunately so even with the Xpel on their after some buffing someone really OCD like me can see the damage. Really wish I would have thought of having them done before I began driving around.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 03:11 AM   #27
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I had my guy remove the piece in front of the rear wheels and put a much larger piece that runs from the door to the wheel well and up to the line that runs down the side of the car. Much better protection and really hard to see the seams. The area I didn't have done initially was the rockers that run between the front and rear wheel openings under the door. Their shape just in front of the rear wheel makes them very susceptible to the rocks and crap coming off our roads. They are pitted now unfortunately so even with the Xpel on their after some buffing someone really OCD like me can see the damage. Really wish I would have thought of having them done before I began driving around.
I may have to investigate having the rockers done.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #28
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I may have to investigate having the rockers done.
If you ever go to Scottsdale Cars and Coffee I can show you they area I am talking about and what damage was done to my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 11:09 PM   #29
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you ever go to Scottsdale Cars and Coffee I can show you they area I am talking about and what damage was done to my car.
I'm sure I'll make one, one of these days.

I can see the area you're talking about. The body work allows for film placement without visible seams too.
I'll see my detailer later this week & will ask about the cost for doing the rockers.
Appreciate 0