BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > Hawaii car insurance recommendations?

07-31-2018, 05:27 PM   #1
Atomicchicken
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hawaii car insurance recommendations?

Hello,

I will be moving to the island in the near future and I found out that my current insurance company doesn't cover in Hawaii. I was wondering which insurance company some of you are using. I would like coverage on the mainland as well as I do go to the mainland on occasion and it would be nice to have coverage in rentals and family cars. I would like full coverage just to be safe but save as well. I checked online and it seems Geico, Allianz, Farmers and Allstate offer auto insurance in Hawaii.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 04:07 PM   #2
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Allstate here. Generally they're known to be expensive. However in my situation, I have homeowners with them, both cars for wife and I, excellent driving history and less than 5,000 miles per year per car. So my discounts are substantial.

Please also keep in mind, I don't have the minimum full coverage but higher amounts, underinsure/unisured etc. $539 for 6 months for the M2. 2 things I really appreciate about them, claim service is excellent as they'll replace with OEM parts, not require aftermarket parts like some other known companies. Second, they don't give you 1st year teaser rates and for no reason, raise them 10% every year thereafter. Been suckered by 2 companies prior to changing to Allstate appox 8 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 08:09 PM   #3
Atomicchicken
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for the info AlohaJoe. Actually it seems there aren't many choices as far as major insurance companies that are available on the island. State farm, Allstate, Geico and Progressive only?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 03:53 PM   #4
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicchicken View Post
Thanks for the info AlohaJoe. Actually it seems there aren't many choices as far as major insurance companies that are available on the island. State farm, Allstate, Geico and Progressive only?
There is also Liberty Mutual (not familiar with them), AIG, DTRIC but I was with the latter 2, and those were the guys who raised my rates every single year for no reason. Been with Allstate ever since.

Regarding Progressive, my mom's car was rear ended. I took it to two different shops for estimates. The first thing out of both of their mouths were, you're not with Progressive are you? Then proceeded to tell me, they hate working with them as they contest the shops cost, want all aftermarket parts and pay them very slowly. My mother had State Farm and it was very easy to work with them, however not sure of their rates.

My son has Geico, was hit by a reversing car but the other driver took responsibility and paid the shop cash, as he didn't want to use his insurance. Not sure how true it is, but that repair guy told us, when he does repairs for Geico, they do ask for aftermarket parts, not OEM.

Good luck on your decision.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 08:14 PM   #5
808elise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CB E46 and SG E92 M3s

Garage List
Not sure if u modding but if so State Farm covers everything permanently attached. Otherwise Gieco is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 05:20 PM   #6
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep

A lady reversed into the side of my wife's GTI. Damage to the front fender & drivers door. She accepted resposibilty and wanted to get her insurance involved as the damage was sizeable. She had State Farm insurance and everything went very smoothly for us.

We did use one of their recommended shops, who happened to be a shop I used once before on my 370Z. They did an excellent job on my Z and once again on my wife's GTI. While I'm not a customer of State Farm, my experience with them was excellent.
Appreciate 0