BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bootmod3 Flash & State Emissions Trst

07-20-2022, 02:09 AM   #23
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

I was following that thread also and I'm considering MHD as well based off of the information there. I may reach out to the vendor directly for confirmation on the DME copying bit. Sadly, I also have an extra wall to overcome which is a locked DME for my '21.

We have similar goals; burble control first, then power gains second. More like quality of life mods than performance ones haha.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 07:45 AM   #24
Night Owl
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post

I just read in the F80 forum that apparently MHD retains an exact copy of your DME, so if one is concerned about passing smog/emission test because BM3 doesn't, then this might be a viable and safer option.
This is news to me. Can anyone how has MHD confirm this?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 07:48 AM   #25
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
I was following that thread also and I'm considering MHD as well based off of the information there. I may reach out to the vendor directly for confirmation on the DME copying bit. Sadly, I also have an extra wall to overcome which is a locked DME for my '21.

We have similar goals; burble control first, then power gains second. More like quality of life mods than performance ones haha.
Sharks!!!! Man, seems like owners of newer S55 are getting punished for their purchase….

Anywho, some interesting finds from the MHD User's Manual

Flash Counter Reset / Freeze
This flash option will reset your DME flash counter to 1, and also freeze it so that future flashes do not increment it any further.

Return to Stock
If you click the "Stock" tab, you will see three possible options.
Flash Back to Stock
To flash back to stock, select the tabStock>Flashback to stock. This option will uninstall MHD and completely revert your DME back to its original factory state. This can be useful if you wish to return your vehicle to stock before selling it, etc. An original backup file is not necessary for this process as [COLOR="DarkRed"]MHD can intelligently generate one exxactly for you based on unique identifiers in your DME.[/COLOR]
      07-20-2022, 08:10 AM   #26
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
YOLO…just purchased the MHD Flasher and Wi-Fi Adapter.

FYI - The standard flasher license has the GTS and CS maps included, thus no need for the additional map pack if you aren't after in multiple OTS maps that boast 20-30% bhp/tq gains.

If y'all are interested, I'll post my impressions once I get the Wi-Fi adapter.

Note: in my case, this ended up cheaper than BM3
      07-20-2022, 09:38 AM   #27
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Ok more info relevant to this thread. I reached out to MHD re: increasing concerns here stateside with smog testing due to the DME not having stock CalID and CVN values when other tunes reflash it to 'stock'…

Quote from MHD below:

"Yes you will get a full stock BMW flash and DME will be also locked again"

Kind of makes sense since MHD is in Europe and they have always been more stringent Re: emissions and all that…
      07-20-2022, 01:51 PM   #28
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

Though not ideal, it's a much better option than swapping DMEs every year. Now to source a pre '20 DME...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 04:22 PM   #29
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
Though not ideal, it's a much better option than swapping DMEs every year. Now to source a pre '20 DME...
Right, bottom line, (and greatly oversimplified):

- MHD reflashes your DME akin to what/how BMW would do it

- By comparison, a BM3 reflash to stock means it reduces the power/tq to stock levels by using a 'stock power map'

Both options obviously would lock your DME.
      07-20-2022, 05:11 PM   #30
ShortSides
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
F87 owner

I live in the DFW area and I passed on stage 1, albeit I only have an armytrix exhaust along with other mods (intake and intercooler n shit)

What I will say is this...if you get the urge to mess with your downpipe, just don't do it
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 08:43 PM   #31
10SecGG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G82 X-Drive,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortSides View Post
F87 owner

I live in the DFW area and I passed on stage 1, albeit I only have an armytrix exhaust along with other mods (intake and intercooler n shit)

What I will say is this...if you get the urge to mess with your downpipe, just don't do it
Care to elaborate? Why not mess with downpipes? If you use a set of catted downpipes, what’s the issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 12:33 PM   #32
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
PSA

So…I am STRONGLY considering the MHD tune. While not as popular as the BM3, MHD is a solid tuner aus Deutschland, with tons of experience harking back to the N54/E9X days.

I just read in the F80 forum that apparently MHD retains an exact copy of your DME, so if one is concerned about passing smog/emission test because BM3 doesn't, then this might be a viable and safer option.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29120606

My ideal tune setup will be to fully control the burbles (ie minimize them to like 5% aggressive and duration) and a mild CS power gains…all without risking passing the omissions tests.
I would think if this becomes a big enough problem bm3 will update their software to store your stock tune and keep a truly OEM tune in their servers. Why let business slip away to the other tuners over this? It's only going too get worse for bm3 as places get more strict, not less.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2022, 04:35 AM   #33
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I would think if this becomes a big enough problem bm3 will update their software to store your stock tune and keep a truly OEM tune in their servers. Why let business slip away to the other tuners over this? It's only going too get worse for bm3 as places get more strict, not less.
Totally…to BM3's defense, I'm not sure how many requests they received regarding this, so likely they'd would eventually release this 'feature'…but I would would venture that it ain't a simple thing, so it might take a while.

Wanting instant validation however…I went MHD route. Should be installing it this weekend.
      07-28-2022, 02:25 PM   #34
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

BM3 does have a feature to read your DME and copy it. It's just not part of the standard process. The standard process just identifies your car and matches it to a copy of the OEM data they have on their servers.

Not sure if there are variances of the DME for different refrains or if they account for the variances either. Just letting you know that the DME copy isn't unique to MHD
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2022, 11:48 AM   #35
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
BM3 does have a feature to read your DME and copy it. It's just not part of the standard process. The standard process just identifies your car and matches it to a copy of the OEM data they have on their servers.

Not sure if there are variances of the DME for different refrains or if they account for the variances either. Just letting you know that the DME copy isn't unique to MHD
Cheers mate - very useful tid-bit…I didn't know about this 'feature'…how would it work? Does it require a different BM3 license or something?
      11-01-2022, 07:53 PM   #36
kapn
Registered
Rep
Drives: Looking

What about buying a 2020 with a bench unlock and tune and then going through Maryland Emissions? What are my options since I didn’t put the tune on myself?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 01:21 PM   #37
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapn View Post
What about buying a 2020 with a bench unlock and tune and then going through Maryland Emissions? What are my options since I didn't put the tune on myself?
I have installed MHD and had zero problems passing TX inspection (of course, just to be safe, I uninstalled it).

So, all signs are pointing that you should be good to go with MHD. I have not seen extensive empirical data on Bootmod3 that can point to zero emission test problems…
      11-04-2022, 12:20 AM   #38
n8dgr84
572whp Stock Turbos/DP E60 Tune by Tier1Tuning
Rep
Drives: M2C - 6MT - Flex Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post

I did this when I set mine up last year.

Haven't had to prove it works, though.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 07:30 AM   #39
kapn
Registered
Rep
Drives: Looking

Thanks for the input. I just bought a 2021 without a tune and much closer than the car I was contemplating. Will probably wish I had the tuned car once the warranty period is up and I’m spending the money to tune, haha!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 05:27 AM   #40
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
So perhaps I'm wrong but I keep seeing folks with BM3 continue having DME lock issues /not completely being able to go back to stock - and have CVN mismatch

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29474006

My experience with MHD is that I was able to completely uninstall the tune, return it to stock AND relock DME - my TX dealership then scanned it and passed state inspection w/o any issues.

The performance delta between BM3 and MHD is negligible, thus if you're worried about state inspections, I would recommend MHD in a heartbeat based on my experience.
      11-11-2022, 11:34 AM   #41
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

BM3 flashes back to stock as well this was recently confirmed in the M3 forums. Originally the user couldn’t relock the DME but he contacted tech support and pro tuning freaks told him to use Chrome Browser. It was giving errors with Firefox. He relocked the DME successfully and passed smog. He verified that the cal id numbers matched as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 03:13 AM   #42
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Quote:
Ok more info relevant to this thread. I reached out to MHD re: increasing concerns here stateside with smog testing due to the DME not having stock CalID and CVN values when other tunes reflash it to 'stock'…

Quote from MHD below:

"Yes you will get a full stock BMW flash and DME will be also locked again"

Kind of makes sense since MHD is in Europe and they have always been more stringent Re: emissions and all that…
I think MHD are intentionally vague about this. BM3 and MHD work the same from what I understand (mostly) - neither save the exact backup from 'your' DME.

BM3 downloads a 'stock image' from their server when you want to 'flash stock'.

MHD retains the 'stock image' locally on their app. Even when you generate a backup file, it's a stock image from them, based on your DME parameters.

Neither BM3 or MHD make an exact copy of 'your' DME bin file (the image is not unique to your car). At least, this is how I understand it from what I've witnessed having used them both.

I wouldn't want to believe otherwise unless provided with proof/official statement from MHD.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 11:02 AM   #43
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

Quote:
So, with the onslaught of electric cars, I am seeing that states are beefing up their emissions tests, and becoming more thorough.

I almost pulled the trigger on BM3, but I keep running into posts where tuned S55 owners failed their yearly state emissions test since the DME version doesn't match the OEM version. I'm not just referring to the tune being active/on the car during OBDII scan, I have seen posts where this happened even after owners flashed the car back to stock and unpaired BM3.

It seems inspections are now looking for the CVN and CAL ID parameters that are part of the DME, and once you upload an OTS map, they will permanently be erased. Flashing back to OEM, the versions won't match…

Owners in states like CA, MA, some counties in CO are increasingly reporting inspections woes. I live in TX (specifically DFW Metroplex) and unfortunately we DO have yearly state inspections.

Can anyone share their TX inspections experiences w/ BM3?

Cheers y'all!
Sorry if its already been answered, but it depends on the county. My county is a no emissions county, you can have a hood dump and single turbo and it does not affect yearly inspections. I have no cats and cleared my code going in and I passed. They didnt even check anyway. I just went to jiffy lube for my inspection. In my county basically aslong as your tires and brakes are good you pass haha. Unsure on your countys rules. But some texas counties do not check for emissions