12-11-2023, 12:11 PM   #89
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
That doesn't sound right, doesn't M2c (like most cars) have auto brake drying?
Unless it was coded off.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 01:05 PM   #90
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Unless it was coded off.
I'm assuming the OG M2 doesn't have auto brake drying because if it does it's doing a terrible job. lol
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 02:10 PM   #91
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Unless it was coded off.
I have a glass coating on my windshield so I rarely use the wipers. So that could be why, but I never had this issue with the OEM Pagid pads.

Still, what I experienced was just like what MPhatic mentioned about his CCBs. I had to basically pump the brakes a few times to get anything. I also got some pulling to the right.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 02:19 PM   #92
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Interesting. That wasn't my experience at all. They were just like all the other ceramic pads I've had, which was the same or grippier when wet. Admittedly though, I didn't drive the car a lot in rain. I do wish I had them back every time I wash my car with CCB's, as they have NO GRIP at all for a moment, then bad grip until pumped 5 times, then the grip never gets great. Driving in the rain is positively harrowing. The 1521 was much preferred.
My experience was basically what you described exactly. Instead of pumping I tried to lean on the pedal hard once as a test to see if it would stop and it actually made a horrible groan and stick/slip vibration type feeling so gnarly that I let up. I also got some pull to one side, presumably more water on one disc than the other.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 05:30 PM   #93
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm assuming the OG M2 doesn't have auto brake drying because if it does it's doing a terrible job. lol
It does have that function by default. It's one of the things I see get coded off when people have "improved track braking" coding done.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      12-11-2023, 05:57 PM   #94
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
I get the same issue with the OEM setup (2NH) when driving in the rain at highway speeds. I can go hours without touching the brakes in some cases and the first application of the brakes after that can be very sketchy; i.e. applying moderate pressure does nothing for about 2-3 seconds before the brakes actually function. Should probably make it a habit to lightly apply the brakes after about 15 mins or so in case an emergency situation arises
chris7197334.00
      12-11-2023, 06:27 PM   #95
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Conoway View Post
I get the same issue with the OEM setup (2NH) when driving in the rain at highway speeds. I can go hours without touching the brakes in some cases and the first application of the brakes after that can be very sketchy; i.e. applying moderate pressure does nothing for about 2-3 seconds before the brakes actually function. Should probably make it a habit to lightly apply the brakes after about 15 mins or so in case an emergency situation arises
Interesting, I never noticed this with the stock pads.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 07:11 PM   #96
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
It does have that function by default. It's one of the things I see get coded off when people have "improved track braking" coding done.
I haven't had it coded out, and I can say for certain that on my car it doesn't work worth a damn, and less of a damn with CCB's lol.

Meh, I never drive the car in the rain so it doesn't really matter much, but it's good info.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      12-11-2023, 07:27 PM   #97
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I haven't had it coded out, and I can say for certain that on my car it doesn't work worth a damn, and less of a damn with CCB's lol.

Meh, I never drive the car in the rain so it doesn't really matter much, but it's good info.
Yeah, I don't have any of that stuff coded at the moment. I had my wipers set to off, so maybe it wouldn't work for me, but I can't say I noticed it even when I was using them all the time.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 02:30 AM   #98
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
I think pretty much every BMW for at least 15+ years has had it (my 06 E90 did).

I also personally wouldn't code it out for "track" braking as I don't drive hard on the brakes when its raining...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 02:19 PM   #99
chris719
Major General
Rep

So, it rained hard again and same thing. The car pulls to the right until the brakes are dry, and it takes more than just a tap. They are fine once dry but the rotors quickly get wet again in heavy rain. I don't think the brake drying really is enough to make a difference. Should I remove the caliper and re-seat or inspect them? Not sure if there is a possible problem or not.

I may go back to OEM pads or try Endless MX72 / MX72 Plus because it's bad when it's pouring. It's a shame because I love the feel, quietness, and lower dust in general.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 06:51 PM   #100
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM Manual M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
So, it rained hard again and same thing. The car pulls to the right until the brakes are dry, and it takes more than just a tap. They are fine once dry but the rotors quickly get wet again in heavy rain. I don't think the brake drying really is enough to make a difference. Should I remove the caliper and re-seat or inspect them? Not sure if there is a possible problem or not.

I may go back to OEM pads or try Endless MX72 / MX72 Plus because it's bad when it's pouring. It's a shame because I love the feel, quietness, and lower dust in general.
I have had the same experience with stock pads/rotors if they are cold and wet - where you really have to lay on the brake pedal pressure to dry them off/heat them up. I've been caught off guard on more than one occasion that required rapid deceleration - and needed much more pedal force than usual - force that would normally lock the wheels. This is usually after 20+ minutes on the cold rainy highway.

I've coded in euro MDM to the diff myself using e-sys, but I don't think I've coded any braking settings explicitly. (I do not track)

I've been interested in these carbotech 1521 pads for a while. Their factory/shop is right down the road from where I live, I'll probably pick up a set myself in a year once I wear down the stock pads/rotors.

Your pulling to the right issue - something's not balanced there. Perhaps an installation issue (misalignment, shim problem, etc.), or a brake bleed is needed, or some other inconsistency between the left axle and the right axle where the right axle is more effective under those conditions?
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      01-29-2024, 07:56 PM   #101
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcore View Post
I have had the same experience with stock pads/rotors if they are cold and wet - where you really have to lay on the brake pedal pressure to dry them off/heat them up. I've been caught off guard on more than one occasion that required rapid deceleration - and needed much more pedal force than usual - force that would normally lock the wheels. This is usually after 20+ minutes on the cold rainy highway.

I've coded in euro MDM to the diff myself using e-sys, but I don't think I've coded any braking settings explicitly. (I do not track)

I've been interested in these carbotech 1521 pads for a while. Their factory/shop is right down the road from where I live, I'll probably pick up a set myself in a year once I wear down the stock pads/rotors.

Your pulling to the right issue - something's not balanced there. Perhaps an installation issue (misalignment, shim problem, etc.), or a brake bleed is needed, or some other inconsistency between the left axle and the right axle where the right axle is more effective under those conditions?
So, after driving more with the 1521s, I can say this behavior is definitely worse than with the stock pads. I am not sure on the pulling, because it goes away when the brakes are dried off. I also can replicate this with a pressure washer. If I spray the calipers and rotors with a lot of water I can reproduce this, except there is no pull, since both sides are equally wet I assume. On the road it appears to not always be the case maybe.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 08:23 PM   #102
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Strange you guys are having such issues. I had a wet track weekend and total downpour long drive home and didn't have any issues like you guys are experiencing even with my track pads in the whole time.

Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      01-29-2024, 08:31 PM   #103
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Strange you guys are having such issues. I had a wet track weekend and total downpour long drive home and didn't have any issues like you guys are experiencing even with my track pads in the whole time.
It could be temperature related. This is the first winter I am daily driving the car. It's been below 45 F so far every time I have noticed this. Getting the brakes warm seems to keep it at bay for some amount of time, the problem is on the highway they cool off. It's definitely water related though because I actually drove the car during a snowstorm 2 weeks ago and I had zero issues.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2024, 11:59 PM   #104
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
It could be temperature related. This is the first winter I am daily driving the car. It's been below 45 F so far every time I have noticed this. Getting the brakes warm seems to keep it at bay for some amount of time, the problem is on the highway they cool off. It's definitely water related though because I actually drove the car during a snowstorm 2 weeks ago and I had zero issues.
What pads are you running that are causing these issues? (Sorry I didnt read through the whole thread)
      01-30-2024, 12:05 AM   #105
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
What pads are you running that are causing these issues? (Sorry I didnt read through the whole thread)
Carbotech 1521
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 12:24 AM   #106
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Carbotech 1521
Interesting, I didn't expect that from a carbotech pad.

I'm trying out the Paragon p2's in the summer, maybe that'll be a good low dust alternative for you (I don't think Paragon stocks it for the 6 pot calipers so you'll have to place an order and wait). It's also got a pretty good bite so it won't be on the less aggressive side like the akebonos on the blue brakes.
      01-30-2024, 04:28 PM   #107
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
I can confirm this is true as well with the OEM setup
chris7197334.00
      02-05-2024, 12:28 PM   #108
timchump
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 OG -> M2 Comp

I went back to the same BMW dealer today they did another “health check”
The same mechanic said
“I advise changing the rotors when you next change the pads”

Wish they’d said that the first time round
I’d guess I’d got at least another 20k miles