BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Finally took the rear adjuster out of my MPS. Results.

09-30-2023, 03:34 PM   #1
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Finally took the rear adjuster out of my MPS. Results.

So I first got wind of this mod from being in the Facebook UK F87 forum, as it's quite popular there to just leave the blue rear height adjustment ring off when doing the install and lower the front to compensate. The car supposedly ends up at 590 in the rear instead of 600, and there enough threads in the front to adjust to your liking.

The rear adjuster itself is 8.42mm tall, but it sits inboard of the rear shock, so most guys were saying the drop was about 10mm.

Supposedly BMW says that each full revolution of the front adjuster ring drops the car 3mm, but other members have noted the drop as 2.5mm. I found that the driver's side dropped 1.78mm per full revolution, and the passenger side dropped 2.11mm. I'd say it's 2mm per revolution on my car (at this point, it could settle/lower).

Ride height before the mod:
Front: 595.3 - 592.9
Rear: 598.5 - 600.9

Ride height after the mod and dropping the front:
Front: 587.58 - 585.79
Rear: 592.14 - 592.14

This represents the following drop amounts:
Front: 7.92 / 7.11
Rear: 6.36 / 8.76

The numbers look a bit off at the moment, but each time I drive the car it gets a bit lower, so I'll update the thread in a week or so.

At present the car looks better to my eye and drives just like it did before, no difference there at all. Hard turning did not cause me to hit the bump stops or rub. Wheels are 9.5 with 245/35 Cup2's and 10.5 with 265/35 Cup2's.

**First two pix are just for reference, and are not mine.
Attached Images

Last edited by ///MPhatic; 09-30-2023 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2023, 04:20 AM   #2
jayk12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw m2 comp

I am guessing your Andy T?! I was talking to you on that thread. Care looks great!

Did you cut the bump stop in the end?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 07:40 AM   #3
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayk12 View Post
I am guessing your Andy T?! I was talking to you on that thread. Care looks great!

Did you cut the bump stop in the end?
Yeah, that's me.

I didn't mess with the stops. I figure if I have a problem then I can deal with it then. If not, it's less work. haha
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 02:20 AM   #4
jayk12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw m2 comp

Agree. My Ohlins are back next week I just need to decide on what suspension I am keeping, the M Perf are really good for road compliance and where I live the roads are quite bumpy, out yesterday and it was fine, even my mum and daughter in the car and it didn't feel too rough. I could soften the rear a bit too if i wanted to but its finding that balance where I don't have to keep adjusting the dampers.

As much as a like a really planted, stiff feeling car, I actually prefer a plush ride. If it wasn't for the installation ballache of dropping the sub frame I would fit Eibach anti roll bars, I still might at some point.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      10-08-2023, 07:54 AM   #5
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

OK, so it has been a week and nearly 100 miles so I thought I'd give an update on this.

Stock ride height: 620/620
BMW MPS recommended ride height: 595/600
Ride height w/rear adjuster removed + front dropped 5mm to match: 588/593

I've measured the ride height 11 times and it's rarely the same, so I took the averages.

I did have one guy saying that I shouldn't have put the spring directly onto the adjuster without the blue adjuster ring, but I figured both surfaces were flat so what's the difference. The difference turns out to be the 8mm (4mm each side) adjustment collar, which would presumably keep the spring from moving from side to side on the collar. I don't see how this is going to be a problem, but I'll know for sure next week when I'm at The Dragon.

Until then.

Sunset with the low. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 04:59 PM   #6
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

OK, so last post about this.

With being as low as I am, I did get some rubbing on the driver's front this past weekend under extreme driving (huge dips and hills at max pace), but I was on stock PSS and running 12mm spacers as well, so the wide front tire and being pushed out to the very edge is likely the cause of most of it. On the 16-mile Skyway super curvy run at 90+ mph (in a 45) there was no subbing at all. In any case, I highly recommend this mod if you can handle a bit of rubbing in similar extreme situations.

Last edited by ///MPhatic; 10-17-2023 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 10:54 AM   #7
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Lucky for me I really only drive that hard once a year.
Lucky?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 07:33 AM   #8
alnooge
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
OK, so it has been a week and nearly 100 miles so I thought I'd give an update on this.

Stock ride height: 620/620
BMW MPS recommended ride height: 595/600
Ride height w/rear adjuster removed + front dropped 5mm to match: 588/593

I've measured the ride height 11 times and it's rarely the same, so I took the averages.

I did have one guy saying that I shouldn't have put the spring directly onto the adjuster without the blue adjuster ring, but I figured both surfaces were flat so what's the difference. The difference turns out to be the 8mm (4mm each side) adjustment collar, which would presumably keep the spring from moving from side to side on the collar. I don't see how this is going to be a problem, but I'll know for sure next week when I'm at The Dragon.

Until then.

Sunset with the low. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
Your car looks so good in that shot! I'm planning to get the MPS soon so thanks for sharing your findings.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50