BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Question on Millway Street Plate Installation

09-07-2023, 07:53 PM   #1
Boba1214
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Question on Millway Street Plate Installation

Hi everyone,

I have a question on the hardware to use for Millway Street Plate installation for M2C.

Millway supplied 3 different sets of hardware (as pictured):
  1. Studs (I have the updated Street plates)
  2. Hex bolts & washers
  3. Nuts & washers

It looks like I will only need the threaded stud and nuts to secure the camber plate to the car, according to Millway's installation manual.

For the aluminum strut brace, it looks like I re-use OEM torx (according to FaRKle's video on Vorshlag install.

That leaves the bolt that Millway labeled "M2C Strut Brace" unused...

Can someone with the Street version please clarify for me?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 11:25 PM   #2
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

You use the Millway hex bolts to secure the aluminium brace to the camber plate top.

just fyi the zinc plated studs are susceptible to corrosion, how much I guess depends on use/environment. I had the earlier hex bolts but Millway said the studs are no different. I discovered the corrosion at 60K km of use when I was getting my Ohlins serviced (I also changed the Millway poly bushing even though it was still in very good condition.

When I contacted Millway and they responded they used to use stainless steel but had complaints from motor sport guys, apparently harder to retrieve magnetically when dropped in engine bay! They offered to send me studs but I instead bought 316 stainless steel hex bolts replacing both the plate fixing screws & the brace/plate fixing screws.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2023, 12:55 PM   #3
Boba1214
Private
Rep

Wow thanks for this knowledge David.

Millway does not recommend removing the studs once it's on the helicoils ... Is there anything that can be done once the helicoil threads are not "snug" anymore due to replacing the studs?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 02:21 PM   #4
Boba1214
Private
Rep

Btw, does anyone know what the torque spec is for the stud and nut?

For the strut brace 8.8 grade M8 hex bolt, Millway website has it at 24nm, but their manual didn't specify torque spec for the studs.
Appreciate 0