BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Relocating M2 from NY to CA

10-10-2019, 05:19 PM   #1
MJCRO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 LBB/6MT

Relocating M2 from NY to CA

Currently living in NY and received a job offer for a role in San Jose. Would like to relocate with my M2 if I like it out there. Has anyone had any experiences importing cars into the state and what it would require/cost to make the car pass smog? I’m assuming it’s more cats on the exhaust?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 05:51 PM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJCRO View Post
Currently living in NY and received a job offer for a role in San Jose. Would like to relocate with my M2 if I like it out there. Has anyone had any experiences importing cars into the state and what it would require/cost to make the car pass smog? I’m assuming it’s more cats on the exhaust?

Thanks!
Can't speak much regarding this situation since I'm not from the states, but as long as your car is stock it should be able to go from NY to CA without hassle, since all Bmw's imported into the states and Canada are all the same spec and in order for that to be the case all cars must pass the most stringent smog test even if sold in a place that isn't as strict.

This allows for cost savings as they only have to build a single spec and have it be one size fits all.
      10-10-2019, 07:14 PM   #3
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Thanks!
What engine mods are on your vehicle? It's not hard to import vehicles into the state, but you will need to be able to pass smog.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 07:18 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
What engine mods are on your vehicle? It's not hard to import vehicles into the state, but you will need to be able to pass smog.
+1
If it's stock then you shouldn't have any issues, if you have carb certified parts then you probably will have to show certificates so slightly more hassle but possible.
      10-10-2019, 08:05 PM   #5
MJCRO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 LBB/6MT

Just running JB4, rest of the car is stock. Can easily remove it.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 09:27 PM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Just running JB4, rest of the car is stock. Can easily remove it.
I heard the jb4 was going to a carb certified route, talk to Terry about it since I haven't been really looking into the jb4 since flash tuning was out. If this is the case he could probably send you a carb certified certificate.
      10-11-2019, 03:14 PM   #7
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

You will need to take your car to a smog station as well. If you are stock, no problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
_morandi_
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Smog testing in CA also isn't required until a car is over 4 years old... so depending on what year your M2 is, you'll have some time to sort it out.

That said, nothing except a modified downpipe/cat should should trigger a smog test problem.
      10-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #9
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:

Thanks!
No. No. Drive it! Buy some trakktape to cover the front and take 8 days to drive across. I have driven from Rhode Island to San Diego in my ZHP and Toronto Ontario Canada to San Diego. Both longer than NY to San Jose. You should at least take one road trip in your m car. Go through Utah, monument valley etc. Best memories I have with my M car. So glad o did it. I even had my wife and two kids in the 1M. Seriously. That is what these cars are for. Shipping companies will probably damage something anyway. That would be painful. A bad death. If something got dinged driving across the country that is a righteous good death. Just quoting legends of the fall. Seriously why would you ship? Drive it!
Appreciate 3
cptobvious2531.50
BMWM5NYC496.00
rich8566608.50
      10-11-2019, 05:39 PM   #10
matty_f
on restriction from buying more cars
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 24 M2, 18 GT3T, 16 LR4, 67 912

I did this with a 6 year old car several years back. The process may have changed, but it was straight forward. Get a smog certificate, make appt with DMV for inspection. They check smog stickers on car. M2 should have a 50 state emissions sticker under the hood. They look at your smog cert and give you plates on the spot.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 06:40 PM   #11
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks!
NY smog laws are identical to CA.
      10-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #12
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by _morandi_ View Post
Smog testing in CA also isn't required until a car is over 4 years old... so depending on what year your M2 is, you'll have some time to sort it out.

That said, nothing except a modified downpipe/cat should should trigger a smog test problem.
Every out of state vehicle being registered in California needs a smog check. My M2c was brand new and I had to smog it because I purchased it out of state.
Appreciate 1
pz6193278.50
      10-11-2019, 07:52 PM   #13
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Every out of state vehicle being registered in California needs a smog check. My M2c was brand new and I had to smog it because I purchased it out of state.
Yep this. Any car brought in outside of California will need an initial smog certificate to register it.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 08:44 PM   #14
_morandi_
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Quote:
Yep this. Any car brought in outside of California will need an initial smog certificate to register it.
Ah, had no idea. Good to know!
      10-11-2019, 09:44 PM   #15
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
I did this with a 6 year old car several years back. The process may have changed, but it was straight forward. Get a smog certificate, make appt with DMV for inspection. They check smog stickers on car. M2 should have a 50 state emissions sticker under the hood. They look at your smog cert and give you plates on the spot.
Yes pretty much that process. The inspection does have to be at dmv though can't be done by third party . You water half day but straightforward. M2 is 50 state car.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 09:45 PM   #16
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Quote:
Ah, had no idea. Good to know!
It's just. $50 test they plug machine to OBD reader. That's all.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 10:34 PM   #17
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Yes pretty much that process. The inspection does have to be at dmv though can't be done by third party . You water half day but straightforward. M2 is 50 state car.
Can do it at AAA too and avoid the DMV altogether .
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 01:53 AM   #18
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No you can't. That's why I posted. Out of state inspection ONLY at DMV. Cannot be done by AAA. I'm on my third out of state into California import. Only DMV for inspection.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #19
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No you can't. That's why I posted. Out of state inspection ONLY at DMV. Cannot be done by AAA. I'm on my third out of state into California import. Only DMV for inspection.
That's strange, I've done it at AAA before when I bought my vehicle in Oregon. Maybe it's changed since then.

Either way OP, you'll be fine with smog once you flash back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #20
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
AAA can do the inspection. I just did it on my new to me e90 m3
Appreciate 1
nachob2314.00
      10-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #21
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I literally had AAA do the inspection 2 weeks ago from a car I brought in form Florida.
Appreciate 1
nachob2314.00
      10-12-2019, 03:29 PM   #22
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I literally had AAA do the inspection 2 weeks ago from a car I brought in form Florida.
Ok you win my last out of state was longer than that so the probably allow it now. Was not allowed for all three out of state cars I've tried. That's good news. I stand corrected then. My apologies.
Appreciate 0