BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 2016 M2 Snow Wheels/Tires

09-27-2019, 11:59 PM   #1
mscdman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

2016 M2 Snow Wheels/Tires

I have an opportunity to get a set of Sparco 18x8 - all 4 - with Blizzak 225/45/18 for a good price. Offset is 29

Will this setup work on the M2?

I’m okay with a non-staggered setup

What are the pros and cons of this setup?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 08:16 AM   #2
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscdman View Post
I have an opportunity to get a set of Sparco 18x8 - all 4 - with Blizzak 225/45/18 for a good price. Offset is 29

Doubtful they will fit.

Those are also super narrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #3
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

I have Sparco trofeo 18x8 et 29 for winters and they fit fine - it's one of the "tire rack recommended winter wheels".

225 is technically a little narrow but they are only 20mm thinner than stock fronts and 10mm thinner than BMW recommended winter size for the M2. The overall diameter of 26" is fine - right between stock front and rear diameters. I'm not really sure what about them would not work or why they would not fit.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 09:32 PM   #4
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

They would fit if your wheels can clear your front brakes. The con is you won't get traction until 3rd, maybe even 4th.

Last edited by MetalMK; 10-03-2019 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 09:54 PM   #5
mscdman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
They would fit if your wheels can clear your front grips. The con is you won't get traction until 3rd, maybe even 4th.
Thanks. I’ve been thinking about this and since. A) I don’t drive the card hard at all and b) have an AWD beater and c) just want to be able to take the car out in the cold winter with little to know snow only on occasion

That it makes more sense to swap out existing PSS with Continental DW06 all seasons. That way I get some cold weather protection and can still drive in the summer
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 05:27 AM   #6
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

235 or 245 40 profile will fit fine on an 18"x 8" wheel.

Quite a few M2's owner running oem e92 18" 270m (8" x et20mm) with either of the above tyre sizes wo issue.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 11:58 PM   #7
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:

Which Blizzaks?

This will work on an OG M2 just fine. (probably wouldn't clear the brakes on the M2C)

I'm using this exact same wheel size and offset (18x8 ET29 all around) and the same tire size for winter. (I have different, heavier wheels, but same size)

Nice comfy ride in winter with the extra sidewall. It won't corner anywhere near as quickly as your stock summer setup, but it should keep you from getting stuck in snow/ice. I've been using Michelin XIce3 because I really wanted to make sure I had snow/ice performance, above all else.

And I guess @MetalMk must drive like Jeremy Clarkson, with zero control over his right foot... I mean, you aren't going to win a red light drag from a stop with them in the dry. But the narrower setup with proper tires will get you away from the light in snow and ice much better than you'd think. And unlike AWD cars, your front tires aren't being asked to put any power down, so you keep your steering effectiveness the whole time.

Bonus is that you can properly rotate the tires too.

My car is my only car and daily driver and has to handle everything in the winter, so my priorities are on "get me through it / don't get stuck," rather than "can I take it out and drive it like I stole it on a cold but clear sunny day." If this isn't your priority, then this setup may not be what you want.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 06:12 PM   #8
mscdman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Which Blizzaks?

This will work on an OG M2 just fine. (probably wouldn't clear the brakes on the M2C)

I'm using this exact same wheel size and offset (18x8 ET29 all around) and the same tire size for winter. (I have different, heavier wheels, but same size)

Nice comfy ride in winter with the extra sidewall. It won't corner anywhere near as quickly as your stock summer setup, but it should keep you from getting stuck in snow/ice. I've been using Michelin XIce3 because I really wanted to make sure I had snow/ice performance, above all else.

And I guess @MetalMk must drive like Jeremy Clarkson, with zero control over his right foot... I mean, you aren't going to win a red light drag from a stop with them in the dry. But the narrower setup with proper tires will get you away from the light in snow and ice much better than you'd think. And unlike AWD cars, your front tires aren't being asked to put any power down, so you keep your steering effectiveness the whole time.

Bonus is that you can properly rotate the tires too.

My car is my only car and daily driver and has to handle everything in the winter, so my priorities are on "get me through it / don't get stuck," rather than "can I take it out and drive it like I stole it on a cold but clear sunny day." If this isn't your priority, then this setup may not be what you want.
They are blizzack WS80 225/45/18

You are saying this will work on my non competition model 2016 and clear the brakes without looking ridiculous?

Last edited by mscdman; 10-02-2019 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 06:16 PM   #9
mscdman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSean View Post
I have Sparco trofeo 18x8 et 29 for winters and they fit fine - it's one of the "tire rack recommended winter wheels".

225 is technically a little narrow but they are only 20mm thinner than stock fronts and 10mm thinner than BMW recommended winter size for the M2. The overall diameter of 26" is fine - right between stock front and rear diameters. I'm not really sure what about them would not work or why they would not fit.
For some reason even though these sparcos are 18x8 ET29 tire rack says they won’t work/fit How is that possible since they recommend other 18x8 et29 Wheels?

Could it be an issue with wheel backspacing? The angle of the whee spokes?

They are Sparco pro Corsa

Last edited by mscdman; 10-02-2019 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 10:32 PM   #10
mscdman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
235 or 245 40 profile will fit fine on an 18"x 8" wheel.

Quite a few M2's owner running oem e92 18" 270m (8" x et20mm) with either of the above tyre sizes wo issue.
Yes but these are 225 not 235
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 10:59 PM   #11
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
For some reason even though these sparcos are 18x8 ET29 tire rack says they won’t work/fit How is that possible since they recommend other 18x8 et29 Wheels?

There could be a spoke design issue or possibly something with how the barrel is designed that might cause them to hit brakes... TireRack only lists wheels that they are absolutely sure will clear.
If you already have the wheels, jack up a front corner and try test fitting them! If they spin OK and you don't see anything hitting or coming scary close, you should be fine. The tire size won't be a problem, I've proven that through two winters.

You do want to make sure your tires are "XL" load rated though (if they were on another BMW previously they probably are). When you start going down to a tire this narrow / with more sidewall, you lose some load rating and the car isn't exactly light for its size... you want XL tires in this size.

I'm using MSW Type 77s, 18x8 ET29
And Michelin Xice 3 in 225/45 R18

Exact same wheel size (but different wheels) and same tire size (but different tires)

This is my car in winter mode (this link just goes to the attached image in case the image doesn't show on mobile or whatever), I have not had any issues with rubbing or anything.
Attached Images

I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.

Last edited by ZPrime; 10-02-2019 at 11:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 11:22 AM   #12
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Agree with the above comment - best thing to do is try one on the front. The backspacing wouldn't be a problem - ET29 on an 8" wheel should be universally the same across all wheels (all decent wheels anyway). It would be a spoke or wheel barrel issue if they don't fit.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 09:30 AM   #13
mscdman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
There could be a spoke design issue or possibly something with how the barrel is designed that might cause them to hit brakes... TireRack only lists wheels that they are absolutely sure will clear.
If you already have the wheels, jack up a front corner and try test fitting them! If they spin OK and you don't see anything hitting or coming scary close, you should be fine. The tire size won't be a problem, I've proven that through two winters.

You do want to make sure your tires are "XL" load rated though (if they were on another BMW previously they probably are). When you start going down to a tire this narrow / with more sidewall, you lose some load rating and the car isn't exactly light for its size... you want XL tires in this size.

Exact same wheel size (but different wheels) and same tire size (but different tires)

This is my car in winter mode (this link just goes to the attached image in case the image doesn't show on mobile or whatever), I have not had any issues with rubbing or anything.
I haven’t bought them but I could ask if I can test fit. Is the front where to test? Rear? Both?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #14
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I haven’t bought them but I could ask if I can test fit. Is the front where to test? Rear? Both?
I believe the front brakes are larger. If it clears that, you should be good.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 11:37 AM   #15
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Front - Both the front caliper and rotor are bigger than rear. If it fits in front it's sort of impossible to not fit in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #16
mscdman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Front - Both the front caliper and rotor are bigger than rear. If it fits in front it's sort of impossible to not fit in the rear.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 12:11 AM   #17
mscdman
Private First Class
Rep

Ok. Racking my brain on this. I’ve decided against this setup. 225s are just too narrow for my liking. I’ve found another set that accoring to the fitment calculator may work.

Would 18x8.5 ET 20s work and clear caliper on 2016 OG M2? Tires are 245/40/18

Last edited by mscdman; 10-08-2019 at 12:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 10:02 AM   #18
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok. Racking my brain on this. I’ve decided against this setup. 225s are just too narrow for my liking. I’ve found another set that accoring to the fitment calculator may work.

Would 18x8.5 ET 20s work and clear caliper on 2016 OG M2?
Backspacing should be fine - the fronts will stick out like 2mm farther than stock front wheels, rears are basically the same. However- It continues to be impossible to answer whether they'll clear the calipers based on wheel stats alone. Some 18s fit, others do not.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 10:39 AM   #19
mscdman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Backspacing should be fine - the fronts will stick out like 2mm farther than stock front wheels, rears are basically the same. However- It continues to be impossible to answer whether they'll clear the calipers based on wheel stats alone. Some 18s fit, others do not.
I guess I will have to test fit
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 10:09 PM   #20
mscdman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I bit the bullet and bought a tire rack recommended set after buying a set of 18x8.5 ET35 Miro Wheels. The wheels would not clear the calipers

So I ordered 18x8 ET29 MSW type 73 and Michelin PA4 245/40/18s

Just hope I don’t have the same issue with that wheel clearing my front brake. I don’t know if I have a competition Model - newbie.

I REALLY hope this tire rack setup will work now. I have a 2016 M2. Don’t know if it was a competition model. When did those get made?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 06:23 AM   #21
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have a 2016 M2. Don’t know if it was a competition model. When did those get made?
2019 models. They say Competition on the back and have a different engine and different front grill.

There is always the slight chance that someone put a big brake kit on your 2016 before you got it. Does it have the blue 4 piston ///M calipers that you can see on 95% of 2016-2018 M2 pictures?

like this:

Last edited by CTSean; 10-11-2019 at 06:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #22
mscdman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
2019 models. They say Competition on the back and have a different engine and different front grill.

There is always the slight chance that someone put a big brake kit on your 2016 before you got it. Does it have the blue 4 piston ///M calipers that you can see on 95% of 2016-2018 M2 pictures?

like this:

yes. Blue
Appreciate 0