BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > whistling sound WOT on track.

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-21-2019, 04:10 PM   #1
detroitm2
Major
detroitm2's Avatar
United_States
968
Rep
1,134
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
whistling sound WOT on track.

Did my first track day last weekend and noticed a high pitch whistling sound when turning onto the straight at grattan (WOT). at first, I though it was my track tires. But I heard it on the street the other day when I floored it for a second with the windows down.

Anyone have any thoughts? My fiance caught a video of it, you can hear it for a split second towards the end of the video.

https://drive.google.com/a/frankswor...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/a/frankswor...w?usp=drivesdk
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 04:38 AM   #2
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant
5.M0NSTER's Avatar
United_States
455
Rep
527
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT Drivers Pack
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Little north of Stuttgart, Germany

iTrader: (0)

That is a strange sound. No idea what is causing it :

How did you do at Grattan? Curious about M2 lap times there. That's my "home track" back in the States. I've been there 6 times now. Best lap in my '14 Mustang GT was 1:31.1
__________________
2017 BMW M2 German Spec
6MT, Driver's Package

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
detroitm2
Major
detroitm2's Avatar
United_States
968
Rep
1,134
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
That is a strange sound. No idea what is causing it :

How did you do at Grattan? Curious about M2 lap times there. That's my "home track" back in the States. I've been there 6 times now. Best lap in my '14 Mustang GT was 1:31.1
Well, it was my first track event, so take that into account.

I was doing consistent runs around 1:37 towards the end of Sunday. Top speed on the main straight was around 129mph. My instructor was driving an E36 M3, and was typically doing around 1:34. I'm sure if he was driving my car, he could push it close to 1:30.

Was the 1:31 in your stang before or after they put in the "bus stop" turn before the straight?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 10:27 AM   #4
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant
5.M0NSTER's Avatar
United_States
455
Rep
527
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT Drivers Pack
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Little north of Stuttgart, Germany

iTrader: (0)

First time I did Grattan was in 2014, already with the bus stop. And over the years I added adjustable dampers, lowering springs, sway bars, camber plates and I was running semi slics last 2 years. My best time there was in 2018.

This is why I'm curious about M2 lap times at Grattan. I'm sure the 'Stang is faster down the back straigh. I was hitting 137 down the back straight. But I expect the M2 to be faster in the twistiest on the other side of the track.

Such a great track. If you haven't been to Mid Ohio I also highly recommend it. Grattan is the best track in Michigan, but I must say Mid O is better.

Every time you go you will get a bit faster. I think I started around 1:39 in a stock Stang in 2014. Shaved almost 9s over the years. Practice and driver mod makes perfect.

Here is a quick vid from 2018. Put the volume up, I miss the way the Mustang sounded the most:

__________________
2017 BMW M2 German Spec
6MT, Driver's Package

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 09-22-2019 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
detroitm2967.50

      09-22-2019, 01:39 PM   #5
detroitm2
Major
detroitm2's Avatar
United_States
968
Rep
1,134
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
First time I did Grattan was in 2014, already with the bus stop. And over the years I added adjustable dampers, lowering springs, sway bars, camber plates and I was running semi slics last 2 years. My best time there was in 2018.

This is why I'm curious about M2 lap times at Grattan. I'm sure the 'Stang is faster down the back straigh. I was hitting 137 down the back straight. But I expect the M2 to be faster in the twistiest on the other side of the track.

Such a great track. If you haven't been to Mid Ohio I also highly recommend it. Grattan is the best track in Michigan, but I must say Mid O is better.

Every time you go you will get a bit faster. I think I started around 1:39 in a stock Stang in 2014. Shaved almost 9s over the years. Practice and driver mod makes perfect.

Here is a quick vid from 2018. Put the volume up, I miss the way the Mustang sounded the most:

Yeah, I expect I'll get faster. I'm still braking earlier than I need to and not carrying enough speed into the straight. That little dip in the right side makes me pucker a bit if I hit it too fast.

It took me all day Saturday and half the day Sunday to get the bus stop turn in down. I found a nice dead tree I am for full throttle and brake hard right where the track curves a bit to the right right before the bus stop. Go almost off the track towards the left and turn in hard into the corner. I think I swung it a bit wide on the videos I posted, later Sunday it got much better.

Mid Ohio is on my list for next year. I have a son in competitive baseball so weekends are pretty shot may through July. Gotta get my track time in the spring and fall. Gingerman is also on my list. I'm really close to Waterford oaks and M1, but don't really have any urge to hit those.

Probably headed back to grattan in a couple weeks for a lotus club event, I think I'll have a legit laptimer this time. Before I just timed it from my gopro videos.

Here's a gopro video from my last session on Sunday.

Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER454.50

      09-22-2019, 01:57 PM   #6
lax01
Major
523
Rep
1,153
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Back to the original topic at hand, I heard whistling too on track at WOT

Car felt fine and still pulled just like normal...wonder if its something resonating when hot?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 02:18 PM   #7
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant
5.M0NSTER's Avatar
United_States
455
Rep
527
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT Drivers Pack
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Little north of Stuttgart, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Hey, good work! Your line looks pretty good in my opinion, just need to use a bit more track and trust the car more. Street tire scream is ubiquitous and I swear I hear the whistling/howling in the video, but it sounds different than from the outside.
__________________
2017 BMW M2 German Spec
6MT, Driver's Package

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 03:30 PM   #8
detroitm2
Major
detroitm2's Avatar
United_States
968
Rep
1,134
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Hey, good work! Your line looks pretty good in my opinion, just need to use a bit more track and trust the car more. Street tire scream is ubiquitous and I swear I hear the whistling/howling in the video, but it sounds different than from the outside.
Thanks.

For what it's worth, the tires I'm running are barely street tires. They're federal rs-rr. 200tw. "Streetable track tires"
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 03:44 PM   #9
detroitm2
Major
detroitm2's Avatar
United_States
968
Rep
1,134
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Back to the original topic at hand, I heard whistling too on track at WOT

Car felt fine and still pulled just like normal...wonder if its something resonating when hot?
Yeah, I didn't notice anything "wrong" with the car. It seemed to pull fine and just assumed it was the tires.

Someone said something at the track about the waste gate being stuck open, but I do not have enough knowledge about turbo engines to kno2 much about that.

Also read about a possible leak in the charge pipe.

Either way, a new charge pipe is on the docket for this winter, along with probably an upgraded IC, and a downpipe. Then I can load up the stage 2 BM3 map and melt faces
Appreciate 1
lax01522.50

      09-23-2019, 04:19 AM   #10
Pic18
Second Lieutenant
United_States
169
Rep
257
Posts

Drives: 15' F80 (sold),18' F80 arrived
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Upstate, NY

iTrader: (0)

In comparison to Grattan, Waterford actually is not that bad of a little track and is much closer to the D. I wouldn't discount it. Motorcity goes there on a Friday at some point in the year. Mid Ohio is another level, hence why Indy Car, IMSA, and Nascar go there.

Not to critique, but since you are new, your arms seem a bit extended to the wheel. If you don't have the wheel all the way out then do. If you do, then scoot your seat up a bit. You should be able to break (bend) your wrist over the top of the wheel while sitting up right with your shoulders still touching the seat, this way in turns you are not reaching/stretching for the wheel. (will be more important when you go to 4 or 6 point harnesses and can no longer stretch)
Appreciate 1
detroitm2967.50

      09-23-2019, 11:19 AM   #11
bentom2
Private
United_States
53
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Redmond, WA

iTrader: (0)

I don’t have anything constructive to say on the noise.

Looks like a fun little track. Those Federals sure do talk a lot.

To build on what Pic18 observed, I’m surprised your instructor didn’t spend some time getting you situated in a better driving position at the start of the day.

There are lots of resources on the internet about this, so probably worth doing some reading before you go out next time, and maybe do some road miles in that position so it doesn’t feel strange when you get to the track. Hand position at 9 and 3 (rather than 10 and 2), plus getting either the wheel closer to you, or you closer to the wheel, should get you all the steering lock you will need in an M2. You should be able to turn the wheel a full 180 degrees when you’re positioned properly relative to the wheel. Pic18 described the most common quick check for this.

You’ll learn a ton with some more seat time. Have fun out there!
Appreciate 1
Pic18169.00

      09-24-2019, 05:56 AM   #12
Pic18
Second Lieutenant
United_States
169
Rep
257
Posts

Drives: 15' F80 (sold),18' F80 arrived
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Upstate, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post

Looks like a fun little track. Those Federals sure do talk a lot.
Grattan has a bunch of seam/driveway sealer on the turns, the tires squeal even on the cool down laps on that stuff, lol.

Last edited by Pic18; 09-24-2019 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: Meant to write Grattan the first time
Appreciate 2
detroitm2967.50
bentom252.50

      09-24-2019, 08:55 AM   #13
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant
5.M0NSTER's Avatar
United_States
455
Rep
527
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT Drivers Pack
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Little north of Stuttgart, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pic18 View Post
Waterford has a bunch of seam/driveway sealer on the turns, the tires squeal even on the cool down laps on that stuff, lol.
Waterford is a lot closer than the other tracks, but i never cared for it much to be honest with you. It's super tight and narrow and for larger high HP cars there isn't enough room to stretch out the legs. In my Mustang I could barely get into 4th gear. I think it would be a lot of fun in a Miata though.

Also the swamp at Waterfod has eaten many cars, and in general there isn't nearly as much runoff room as Grattan, Gingerman or Mid O.
__________________
2017 BMW M2 German Spec
6MT, Driver's Package

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 1
detroitm2967.50

      09-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #14
OG Shark
Captain
536
Rep
718
Posts

Drives: Sideways ~~~
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas

iTrader: (4)

Think I figured it out OP - don't forget to check your backseat next time on the track



Congrats of your first track day!
__________________
Appreciate 3
detroitm2967.50
bentom252.50
5.M0NSTER454.50

      09-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #15
Pic18
Second Lieutenant
United_States
169
Rep
257
Posts

Drives: 15' F80 (sold),18' F80 arrived
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Upstate, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Waterford is a lot closer than the other tracks, but i never cared for it much to be honest with you. It's super tight and narrow and for larger high HP cars there isn't enough room to stretch out the legs. In my Mustang I could barely get into 4th gear. I think it would be a lot of fun in a Miata though.

Also the swamp at Waterfod has eaten many cars, and in general there isn't nearly as much runoff room as Grattan, Gingerman or Mid O.
Made a mistake in my quote, actually meant to talk about Grattan and the tire squeal (you cant avoid it with the seam sealer). You make good points about Waterford, but not needing a hotel room (when I lived in Birmingham) and the fact it was better than M1 made it worth my time. That said last year I only went to Waterford maybe once and none this year.
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER454.50

      09-24-2019, 09:53 AM   #16
detroitm2
Major
detroitm2's Avatar
United_States
968
Rep
1,134
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pic18 View Post
Waterford has a bunch of seam/driveway sealer on the turns, the tires squeal even on the cool down laps on that stuff, lol.
Waterford is a lot closer than the other tracks, but i never cared for it much to be honest with you. It's super tight and narrow and for larger high HP cars there isn't enough room to stretch out the legs. In my Mustang I could barely get into 4th gear. I think it would be a lot of fun in a Miata though.

Also the swamp at Waterfod has eaten many cars, and in general there isn't nearly as much runoff room as Grattan, Gingerman or Mid O.
This is largely my concerns as well. I've been to Waterford before (never drove it), and had the same thoughts.
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER454.50

      09-24-2019, 05:07 PM   #17
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant
5.M0NSTER's Avatar
United_States
455
Rep
527
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT Drivers Pack
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Little north of Stuttgart, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pic18 View Post
Made a mistake in my quote, actually meant to talk about Grattan and the tire squeal (you cant avoid it with the seam sealer). You make good points about Waterford, but not needing a hotel room (when I lived in Birmingham) and the fact it was better than M1 made it worth my time. That said last year I only went to Waterford maybe once and none this year.
I understand. I used to do full weekends before our daughter was born, but after, the deal I have with my wife is day trips only for track days. So now I'm a sucker for punishment and I wake up at 4am, drive 3-4h, track all day, then drive back. Good thing I like driving. I do typically take the next day off work to recover and go through my GoPro footage. Also I avoid weekend days to ease it on the fam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
This is largely my concerns as well. I've been to Waterford before (never drove it), and had the same thoughts.
I'm curious about how a more nimble M2 would do on Waterford. I think it could be fun but you have to be ready to never get out of 3rd gear. Also some prior experience would help as chances of hitting something are high. This is why I love Grattan so much. It's just missing some usable curbing like Mid Ohio.

I've gotten to drive some cool tracks while on work assignment in Germany. F1 tracks are at a whole another level. Spa quickly became number 1 in my book but then I drove Nordschleife. Nurbergring is the most incredible and scariest track I've done. So much elevation change and so many blind corners. Hockenheimring is ok, but nothing compared to Spa or the Green Hell.

I'm glad I had Grattan, Gingerman, Waterford and Mid Ohio to practice on back home. Without the experience I gained on those tracks I would probably be youtube famous already. Nordschleife is tricky at speed.

And I will for sure hit all the home tracks again when I'm back Stateside. So long live our local tracks and our desire for driver mod!
__________________
2017 BMW M2 German Spec
6MT, Driver's Package

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 1
detroitm2967.50

      10-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #18
Got f1?
Private First Class
Got f1?'s Avatar
United_States
40
Rep
140
Posts

Drives: '19 M2C,'99 323i, '12 Audi TTS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

detroitm2 Where are you mounting your GoPro? Looks like the perfect angle. Wait... You have headrests on your M2. M2C does not. Dang it!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 08:25 PM   #19
detroitm2
Major
detroitm2's Avatar
United_States
968
Rep
1,134
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
detroitm2 Where are you mounting your GoPro? Looks like the perfect angle. Wait... You have headrests on your M2. M2C does not. Dang it!
Hah. Yeah, it's a tackform mount mounted to my headrest.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST