BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > The Risk of Buying a Used M2

08-28-2019, 10:02 AM   #23
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
I "settled" for a used 2017 M2 CPO from a local dealer (6MT, 9K miles). Same dealer the car was originally bought and serviced at. Although I would prefer bone stock, I immediately noticed it had the painted IND gills and front reflectors, a black M2 badge, as well as the M Performance black grill. (Only thing I don't like is the black M2 badge, I've thought about going back to stock Chrome).

I decided against a 2018 non-CPO at a non-BMW dealer 500 miles away. Although I preferred the LCI it just felt safer to buy a CPO from a local dealer.

My big fear was a nightmare like this: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1491357
its another reason not to buy from the mom and pop dealerships. All the mom and pops are more expensive then going to a bmw dealership and negotiating a price, unless there salvage title or rebuilt cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 06:40 PM   #24
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I bought my M2 used on August 31st. The car is in great condition, but the dealer I bought it from wasn't a BMW dealer, and they have several things they do that are pretty stupid. One is that they change the oil, which didn't need to be changed, and they put the wrong kind of oil in it. The second thing is they put new tires on it, which it didn't need, and the new ones aren't as good as the old ones. Other than that I think I did pretty well, and got exactly what I wanted. If I like the new Comp model it'd be different, I would have bought new, but I just don't like the changes made.
Appreciate 2
rich8566608.50
ried791.50
      09-10-2019, 12:45 AM   #25
Rxkenny
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87- MG M2 DCT

People are naturally deceptive? That's a broad brush ..

Of course there's always someone trying to hustle.. or hide something in a sale but I personally would disclose everything with the sale of my m2. Wouldn't be cool having somebody call you months after a sale with complaints or issues.

That being said ... I leased a new m3 that was damaged off the truck.. repainted.. then never disclosed at the dealership.. wasn't until a few years later when re-selling .. another dealer caught the paint/ repair job. So we should trust the "new" car guys more? Deception lies at all levels.. but I still like to feel not everyone is hiding something.. there are some good guys out there that take care of their cars.. and are honest
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 05:26 AM   #26
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxkenny View Post
there are some good guys out there that take care of their cars.. and are honest
I would love to live in your world, it must be nice..

Not saying they're not "good guys" in the world I might have even met a few but it only takes one bad guy to ruin your day. Better safe than sorry.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #27
Rxkenny
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87- MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxkenny View Post
there are some good guys out there that take care of their cars.. and are honest
I would love to live in your world, it must be nice..

Not saying they're not "good guys" in the world I might have even met a few but it only takes one bad guy to ruin your day. Better safe than sorry.

Same world, different perspective.. if it takes only 1 a -hole (and there are many) to ruin your day that's a lot of life you let someone else determine your happiness

Either way— the M makes life a little better
Good luck out there
Appreciate 3
Poochie9103.00
Moflow2484.50
Vivek.1365.00
      09-10-2019, 09:08 PM   #28
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
I bought my M2 used on August 31st. The car is in great condition, but the dealer I bought it from wasn't a BMW dealer, and they have several things they do that are pretty stupid. One is that they change the oil, which didn't need to be changed, and they put the wrong kind of oil in it. The second thing is they put new tires on it, which it didn't need, and the new ones aren't as good as the old ones. Other than that I think I did pretty well, and got exactly what I wanted. If I like the new Comp model it'd be different, I would have bought new, but I just don't like the changes made.
Whenever I buy a pre owned vehicle I never worry about brakes and tires. Both are easy to replace and I always change out the tires no matter what. I never want to trust my life with used tires.
      09-13-2019, 11:48 AM   #29
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I think people who assumes the worst of others as a general rule of thumb are that way because they themselves on the inside know they might do something shady if the opportunity presents itself.
Appreciate 3
10"4964.50
Vivek.1365.00
      09-13-2019, 12:12 PM   #30
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I think people who assumes the worst of others as a general rule of thumb are that way because they themselves on the inside know they might do something shady if the opportunity presents itself.
Or maybe they just live in the real world and realize how shitty some people can truly be, if you let your guard down.

It's about perspective; I am sure a cop that works the gritty streets and interact with the riffraffs everyday is going have a different outlook on people, than a rich, socialite who is pampered and have not in tune or have an prior experience with society.

If I sell something, I am very honest with any flaws or changes. I would hate to deceive anyone who's putting their trust in me and money in my pocket. However, it's not always a two-way street because you could never know what truly in someone's heart.

From my early school days of reading Aesop's fables, I learn that it's better to not trust anyone because you never know who's the fox or who's is the crow.
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      09-13-2019, 06:32 PM   #31
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

доверяй, но проверяй
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 07:52 PM   #32
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
The car business is rough man, I worked in it for 4 years, and lots of shady things happen to make that extra buck.

Lucky for me all the brakes were replaced by a BMW dealer, and the tires were actually replaced with (I didn't know at the time) OEM Conti 3's (I thought all the M2's came with MPSS). So I'm good now, but there were very few miles on the car, and it was owned by a girl, so I got lucky there.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 10:49 AM   #33
LVI
BMW Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Ever so often, I look up the going prices of LCI M2s to see if it's worth a trade up, maybe even snag one with a sunroof but after a few stories l've read here about user modifications and just the general demographic of the folks that purchase the M2, it makes me rethink the idea of buying a model like this used.

A good example is I found a "2018" M2 for sale with 'no modifications,' which should be the LCI with the LED taillights and headlights but check out the photo below and you'll notice it's apparently retrofitted with pre-LCI taillights, incandescent bulbs.

It's not a big deal that it has old taillights, as they are cheap to replace but it makes you wonder what other secrets this vehicle might be holding..

Due to these discoveries, I've decided that I'm either buying new or nothing at all.
You seem easily triggered. Perhaps it would be easier to find a BMW dealer with a "safe space" and buy new.

That aside, those pictures are not of a US market car. Look at the cars parked next to it in the 2nd picture (also not US market), and the shape of the license plate. Probably pulled some generic pictures of the internet.

Have you actually had a conversation with whomever is advertising it? It's either a scammer or a private seller who was too lazy to go and take a few quality pictures of the car. Oh and most of these cars should be fine to buy used. Look for no mods, condition, no accidents, mileage, etc and you should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 07:43 AM   #34
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mm2 View Post
доверяй, но проверяй
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence1 View Post
That aside, those pictures are not of a US market car.
My thought as well.

Two other things:

1) Not everyone who tracks the car beats the crap out of it. I'm an old fart and I drive like an old fart. I drive smoothly, never hit the rev limiter and the car is always thoroughly warmed up before I go past 3000 RPM. But there is a VIR sticker on my car, because it's been there. Once.

2) I've done multiple BMW Performance Center events, beating the ever-lovin' crap out of their cars. These M cars can take it.

I tried to find a nice used one when I was shopping, but at the time the market was a bit tight and the private sellers that I contacted either did not respond or took several days to respond, by which point I had given up on them and bought new.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 09:11 AM   #35
rtr76
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT, AST, Wagner, HJS 300

Maybe, just maybe, he changed lights for older ones, because he was out of warranty and found cheaper and more robust solution. Why? My almost 1,5 years old M2 LCI has TWICE changed same LED taillight. Common issue of LCI btw.

Bye, Roman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Uhh, yeah, i'm not sure why some are giving you a hard time. I'd 100 percent run the fuck away from that car.

Retrofitting older taillights seems like a pretty big red flag to me. You don't just do that. Nobody does that. Its a pain in the butt for something 99.9 percent of people won't notice. Its a "My shit was broken and this was the cheapest way i could fix it" modification. Now, that car might be totally fine other than that, but it also kinda makes me question the attitude of the previous owner.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 09:44 AM   #36
sapbasis5150
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (On life support)

When I purchased my CPO '18 M2, I passed on several excellent deals due to modifications. I want a bone stock car with a documented history and some factory warranty first. Then, I'll make the decision to modify it and drive it hard. New or used, cars can and do come with issues - My brand new '17 TTS was damaged at the selling dealership and fixed. Only found out about it when the transmission went and the repaired paint began to fail. Needless to say, that is why I have the M2 now after a factory buy-back.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #37
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Even if you buy a used car that is bone stock there is no guarantee that someome didn't remove all mods before the sale. Personally I'd never buy a used late model enthusiast type track friendly car unless I knew the owner. I've seen too many part out threads on this forum for lease returns on cars that were tracked to death.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 01:43 PM   #38
MiamiM235iEstorilBlue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Even if you buy a used car that is bone stock there is no guarantee that someome didn't remove all mods before the sale. Personally I'd never buy a used late model enthusiast type track friendly car unless I knew the owner. I've seen too many part out threads on this forum for lease returns on cars that were tracked to death.
Always a fear of mine. You just cant really know if the car was modded to near death and then all the parts swapped back.
I do try to look for hints of mods under the hood like screws clearly having been tampered with, etc. Its not that easy though.
The best method I can come up with is to get to know the seller, have some good conversations, learn the full history of the car and try to gauge if they seem honest. Usually, older seller means less likely to mod, in my experience.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      10-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #39
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Bought a used E46 M3 before and it was a pain not fully knowing how it was taken care of before. Decided to buy my M2 new instead of CPO. Gives some peace of mind...
Appreciate 2
      02-23-2021, 10:57 AM   #40
Draker
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Before buying a used car, it is imperative to check the Vin Code. This decoder will help you avoid buying a stolen car or a broken one. You just need to know where is the best vin check? You know?

Last edited by Draker; 02-27-2021 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 01:54 AM   #41
JDPHOTOS
JDPHOTOS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Used M2

Picking up a 2017 M2 sapphire black with 10500 miles in 2 weeks can't wait, first step will be to get it detailed and decontaminated and ceramic coated
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 12:31 PM   #42
hson10
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 A90 Supra 3.0, '11 E92 M3C

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
As many others in this thread, I also purchased my M2 used from a non-BMW dealer here in the United States.
I think I must have looked at 50+ cars in my search, as I specifically wanted a 2017 or 2018 MY, no sunroof, 6MT, and Long Beach Blue with exec pack.
This car came up for sale literally 2,200 mi away from me (I'm in California and the car was in Minnesota, but initially the car seemed to check all the boxes. I had the dealer send me a video walk around of the car, and then once I ran the VIN and reviewed the video, I paid for and arranged for the local BMW dealer to come get the car and do an in-depth PPI. They sent me everything from condition of the undercarriage, brake pad and rotor condition, and even the NBT version (wanted to make sure it had CarPlay), along with detailed photos of each item I requested. Another big thing for me was the previous owner tuning the car, so I had the dealership check for that as well (they said they can see what the max boost level was? not quite sure how accurate that is, but they assured me it wasn't tuned previously). Knowing all this info, I felt more confident in my used car purchase and decided to pull the trigger. At just a hair over $40K before tax/title/reg, I felt like it was a good deal for a clean title car with 20,900 mi in a spec that I wanted.

All this to say - please get a PPI from a trusted place if possible before making a large used car purchase. Also, @OP, the car you posted is definitely strange - pre-LCI tails, but definitely has the LCI non exec pack headlights? I don't think anybody would be crazy enough to retrofit this on their pre-LCI, it's usually the other way around (LCI tails with pre-LCI headlights)
      03-02-2021, 04:24 PM   #43
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hson10 View Post
As many others in this thread, I also purchased my M2 used from a non-BMW dealer here in the United States.
I think I must have looked at 50+ cars in my search, as I specifically wanted a 2017 or 2018 MY, no sunroof, 6MT, and Long Beach Blue with exec pack.
This car came up for sale literally 2,200 mi away from me (I'm in California and the car was in Minnesota, but initially the car seemed to check all the boxes. I had the dealer send me a video walk around of the car, and then once I ran the VIN and reviewed the video, I paid for and arranged for the local BMW dealer to come get the car and do an in-depth PPI. They sent me everything from condition of the undercarriage, brake pad and rotor condition, and even the NBT version (wanted to make sure it had CarPlay), along with detailed photos of each item I requested. Another big thing for me was the previous owner tuning the car, so I had the dealership check for that as well (they said they can see what the max boost level was? not quite sure how accurate that is, but they assured me it wasn't tuned previously). Knowing all this info, I felt more confident in my used car purchase and decided to pull the trigger. At just a hair over $40K before tax/title/reg, I felt like it was a good deal for a clean title car with 20,900 mi in a spec that I wanted.

All this to say - please get a PPI from a trusted place if possible before making a large used car purchase. Also, @OP, the car you posted is definitely strange - pre-LCI tails, but definitely has the LCI non exec pack headlights? I don't think anybody would be crazy enough to retrofit this on their pre-LCI, it's usually the other way around (LCI tails with pre-LCI headlights)
As someone else suggested, the pics were likely taken from a European car based on the lights, plate, and vehicles around it. Lazy and maybe sketchy on the part of the seller, but what an extrapolation to take ONE bad ad and conclude "one should never buy a used m2". It wasn't even a bad car that he saw or a bad seller that he talked to, just one slight discrepancy that most wouldn't notice.

Additionally, tracked doesn't necessarily mean driven hard (it took me 4 track days to push my car hard, and even then I'm pushing a it fraction of what a pro driver would), and driven hard isn't the end of the world for an M2.

I genuinely feel sorry for the OP and his dismal outlook on the world. But please, keep buying cars new since they're worth 2/3 of MSRP after 5k miles. Gives me a steady flow of cars to enjoy without tying up as much cash.
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 09:41 PM   #44
dolechiw
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 2018

PPI for the win, well said. I was able to negotiate down 10% from asking and I believe the items noted played a huge part but also gave me confidence in what I was or was not receiving in terms of value. A year later and couldn't be happier with my purchase.
Appreciate 0