BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > S55 break-in requirements?

05-01-2019, 12:45 PM   #45
GoHerd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 x5 40i 18 540xi 23 F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM2 View Post
What's all that's done during the break in service for the M2C? The OG M2 service was only engine oil and differential. Is transmission fluid change included on the M2C as it is on M3/4?
Had mind done on Monday.
Oil and diff fuid.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 12:47 PM   #46
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Medium load is vital. Accelerating firmly, pulling in gear, and decelerating, up and down the gears..

Get those rings bedded in properly to ensure good compression and minimal blow by in the long term. Cruising is no good for that. Rings need firm combustion pressure to force them into the bore to bed in before they glaze up.

I drive my m2c, on average, more gently now AFTER running in.

During run in I only took it out on "run in" drives. At least 45 minutes for full heat cycle, open roads, wide use of revs (5k is plenty), up to 2/3 throttle, drive it enthusiastically. Load the engine, brisk runs to 100mph.

Then get the oil changed (995 miles for me) and relax.

Now i use it normally, odd school run, traffic jams, town etc.
This is exactly what I've been doing with new engines. I also stopped letting them idle to warm up. My dad used to let everything warm up for 10 minutes, and really the load is so low that they don't even get things hot for almost 30 minutes or so.

If you watch a car with a legit oil temp gauge it takes forever to heat up sitting at idle.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 01:06 PM   #47
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
In Spartanburg, every car is dynoed on a set of rollers, I forget what they are checking for but it only takes a minute or two. After that the car is taken outside, run on a test track, brought back inside and parked with other finish cars awaiting shipping. This was ~20 years ago but doubt they changed the process much.
I would be interested to learn if they still do that.
      05-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #48
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHerd View Post
Quote:
What's all that's done during the break in service for the M2C? The OG M2 service was only engine oil and differential. Is transmission fluid change included on the M2C as it is on M3/4?
Had mind done on Monday.
Oil and diff fuid.

[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/219xtfb.gif[/IMG]
Hmmm I wonder why they wouldn't change the tranny fluid if they do it in M3/4 when the M2C is essentially the same car :
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 02:32 PM   #49
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
When I was there they had padded arms to stop the car from coming off the rollers. Looks like they've improved the process. Go to 28:20

https://www.bmwblog.com/2015/10/30/b...w-spartanburg/

https://www.trucks.com/2019/03/13/in...ina-suv-plant/
There are both indoor and outdoor test tracks on which to run new vehicles through different road conditions before they are shipped out.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393421

Onto my factory tour! The factory is really quite big in Leipzig. I’d say it’s about twice the size of the Spartanburg, SC plant. IF any of you have been there. ? Just like the US plant, BMW has a small test track in Leipzig (out back hidden from prying eyes) and a small factory dealership. How cool is that!!

When trying to find confirmation for you, I found this, which make me wonder why they are not fitting the M2 carbon fiber roof at the Leipzig as an option?

https://www.bmwgroup-plants.com/leipzig/en.html

Traditional and innovative production of vehicles with electric drive and CFRP (carbon fibre reinforced plastics/carbon) lightweight bodies are both part of the corporate strategy. During the production process, a BMW i3 Series passes through the following sections: CFRP production, exterior components (production of automotive body shell plastic components), BMW i body shop and assembly.

Last edited by omasou; 05-01-2019 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 2
pz6193275.50
devo755.00
      05-01-2019, 07:19 PM   #50
Arrow29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 comp, X5 M50i ordered

Quote:
Medium load is vital. Accelerating firmly, pulling in gear, and decelerating, up and down the gears..

Get those rings bedded in properly to ensure good compression and minimal blow by in the long term. Cruising is no good for that. Rings need firm combustion pressure to force them into the bore to bed in before they glaze up.

During run in I only took it out on "run in" drives. At least 45 minutes for full heat cycle, open roads, wide use of revs (5k is plenty), up to 2/3 throttle, drive it enthusiastically. Load the engine, brisk runs to 100mph.

So out of interest, did you drive like this from day 1 until your run in service? I just got mine and this way makes a lot of sense. Just curious if you increased the max revs / went to full throttle as you got closer to the 1k mike mark or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:20 PM   #51
Greyzor
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c (Ordered)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2c  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow29 View Post
Quote:

So out of interest, did you drive like this from day 1 until your run in service? I just got mine and this way makes a lot of sense. Just curious if you increased the max revs / went to full throttle as you got closer to the 1k mike mark or not.
Just a sanity check here... I'm estimating that this would take between 30 and 40 45 minutes "sessions" to accomplish the full 1,200 miles. I assume most people would only have the time to do this a couple days a week. This could possibly take months.

How do people accomplish a reasonable break-in when they plan to use the car daily?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:41 PM   #52
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Hmmm I wonder why they wouldn't change the tranny fluid if they do it in M3/4 when the M2C is essentially the same car :
The dealers are scared to death to change the tranny fluid. Not even considering the expense. My X5 had 128K and I never changed the tranny fluid.

So when I took the M2 in for service, I asked about changing the tranny fluid around 50K. Service advised against it. I said come on you don't believe this lifetime fluid stuff do you? Don't quote me on this going from memory but she said that the tranny part wear and fluid are in balance (my words). When you replace with new fluid it doesn't match up with the wear on the parts. Either way she said I would run a 50/50 chance of having problems after changing the fluid. Believe it or not but don't shoot the messenger.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 10:15 PM   #53
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
The dealers are scared to death to change the tranny fluid. Not even considering the expense. My X5 had 128K and I never changed the tranny fluid.

So when I took the M2 in for service, I asked about changing the tranny fluid around 50K. Service advised against it. I said come on you don't believe this lifetime fluid stuff do you? Don't quote me on this going from memory but she said that the tranny part wear and fluid are in balance (my words). When you replace with new fluid it doesn't match up with the wear on the parts. Either way she said I would run a 50/50 chance of having problems after changing the fluid. Believe it or not but don't shoot the messenger.
That's nonsense! I've changed my tranny fluid on my 128 and still do every 30k kms without any problems. Plus their own manual states changing the M3/4 tranny fluid at break in service
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 03:00 AM   #54
ecan
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceramic Rabbit View Post
Dang that might be a bit frustrating since my girlfriend will have to be following me in my old car for the whole 4 hour trip, meanwhile I'm gonna be constantly speeding up and slowing down haha
With the DCT you can change gears while in cruise to vary revs while maintaining the same speed.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 03:04 AM   #55
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecan View Post
With the DCT you can change gears while in cruise to vary revs while maintaining the same speed.
In the manuals too, when you dip the clutch the rpm stays fixed when in cruise.

Change gear, revs auto match, release clutch.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 12:37 AM   #56
ecan
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
I didn’t know that. Most old manuals would increase revs to max when clutch was dipped.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 12:51 AM   #57
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecan View Post
I didn’t know that. Most old manuals would increase revs to max when clutch was dipped.
It's only when cruise is on. As throttle is controlled by ECU not the gas pedal! Most modern manual cars do this cruise shift thing.

Vw, audi, ford etc.
Appreciate 1
ecan0.00
      05-14-2019, 08:25 AM   #58
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Software config so full performance can be unleashed...before this DME is still in run in mode setting
Quote:
Trans fluid is not changed on the M3/M4. Just Oil and Diff. It might have been in the past, but not today.

Quote:

Part of this is true - they ARE scared. I tried to get them to change the manual trans fluid in my M3 and they went crazy. Told me it would be $1,000 and not required. Turns out that's how much it costs to change the DCT which uses different fluid and a lot more.

I did end up having my fluid changed by an independent shop and had the fluid analyzed. Turns out, you can go about 50,000 miles on the initial fluid per the report.

"DOUG: Silicon tested a bit high in this sample, but that's just from sealers used in the factory, and that's not a problem at all. Wear metals are, perhaps, a shade high when taken on a per-mile basis, compared to
the universal averages (which are based on 28,000 miles on the oil), but nothing stands out as a problem.
Some of the metal is probably just wear-in material, anyway. The oil itself was clean, with no insolubles present. All in all, this is a really nice sample from your transmission at 5400 miles"

Anyway, as you found out, the dealers just don't do this any more and therefore shy away from even offering it - because I don't think they even know how

Do note, if you don't change the trans fluid - the trans will fail - especially on the 8 speed autos - normally right around 100K. It is not a cheap service, but if you use aftermarket fluid and don't have the dealer do it, you can get it for around $500 I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Software config so full performance can be unleashed...before this DME is still in run in mode setting
No software changes made during 1,200 mile service. Well check that, they do turn on the launch control and remove the warning on the i-Drive. But nothing that makes the engine go faster. Probably one of the biggest myths on the internet today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
I will defer to the manual always as well, but every tour we have been on calls this a "preliminary break in", and then you have the extended break in procedure you are supposed to follow. We can argue about semantics all day, but I'm telling you what they say at the factory and their videos. Also, a P car is not a BMW, so maybe, for a second, open your mind to think that other manufacturers break in their engines differently?
Remember, deferring to the manual also means you will go by their recommended service intervals - which I can assure you are done from an accounting standpoint more than an engineering standpoint. Short story, don't believe everything you read
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #59
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
I've done 2 tours the past year...
Every car goes on the rollers for a minute or 2 up to highway speeds. Not sure every car does the test track but it's probably just a 30-60 second out and back.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 10:07 PM   #60
golf4501
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Trans fluid is not changed on the M3/M4. Just Oil and Diff. It might have been in the past, but not today.

Part of this is true - they ARE scared. I tried to get them to change the manual trans fluid in my M3 and they went crazy. Told me it would be $1,000 and not required. Turns out that's how much it costs to change the DCT which uses different fluid and a lot more.

I did end up having my fluid changed by an independent shop and had the fluid analyzed. Turns out, you can go about 50,000 miles on the initial fluid per the report.

"DOUG: Silicon tested a bit high in this sample, but that's just from sealers used in the factory, and that's not a problem at all. Wear metals are, perhaps, a shade high when taken on a per-mile basis, compared to
the universal averages (which are based on 28,000 miles on the oil), but nothing stands out as a problem.
Some of the metal is probably just wear-in material, anyway. The oil itself was clean, with no insolubles present. All in all, this is a really nice sample from your transmission at 5400 miles"

Anyway, as you found out, the dealers just don't do this any more and therefore shy away from even offering it - because I don't think they even know how

Do note, if you don't change the trans fluid - the trans will fail - especially on the 8 speed autos - normally right around 100K. It is not a cheap service, but if you use aftermarket fluid and don't have the dealer do it, you can get it for around $500 I think.

No software changes made during 1,200 mile service. Well check that, they do turn on the launch control and remove the warning on the i-Drive. But nothing that makes the engine go faster. Probably one of the biggest myths on the internet today

The service manager told me they were taking it out of transportation mode (what ever that is), but I see no note of any software change. My ticket just has a generic performed 1200 mile service on it. I actually made sure the diff oil got changed since there was specific note, and they pointed out the part (some screw) for that on the bill as proof it was done.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 01:51 AM   #61
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:

They are afraid because they regularly mess it up and fill DCT's with MT fluid and all kinds of other stuff because their techs don't read and aren't used to doing it anymore.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 05:16 PM   #62
Freddysix
Registered
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2C

Rold it out of the dealership. Drove it for ca 45 minuts...tank almost empty. Filed the tank with the highest oktan gas we can get in Scandinavia. Floored it in third gear (MT). Went trough 4.th and in 5.th it hit 263 km/h on the speedo. No drivers pakage. Did the first service and asked for samples for testing. Engine oil was fine. My car is fully paid and its a keeper. Have fun with your cars and stop worrying.

Best regards

Fred
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      05-22-2019, 07:23 AM   #63
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddysix View Post
Rold it out of the dealership. Drove it for ca 45 minuts...tank almost empty. Filed the tank with the highest oktan gas we can get in Scandinavia. Floored it in third gear (MT). Went trough 4.th and in 5.th it hit 263 km/h on the speedo. No drivers pakage. Did the first service and asked for samples for testing. Engine oil was fine. My car is fully paid and its a keeper. Have fun with your cars and stop worrying.

Best regards

Fred
Because it didn't break doesn't mean it's correct...
ChrisK4449.00
      06-30-2019, 09:48 PM   #64
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Probably being way overly paranoid, and this is my third BMW (second M car); but I've been following the break in procedures, and am at about 600 miles. I've been a bit more liberal and loose with this car and somewhat pushing the revs a bit, driving in sport throttle, and downshifting regularly, varying RPMs and speed. No WOT or passing 5500rpm, but getting more squirrelly under the recommended limits.

Yesterday, while the engine was not fully warm, I was having fun and pressed the rpm up to 4700-4800rpm at about 3/4th throttle.

Wondering if this totally fine and I'm just being crazy....
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 10:03 PM   #65
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanism View Post
Probably being way overly paranoid, and this is my third BMW (second M car); but I've been following the break in procedures, and am at about 600 miles. I've been a bit more liberal and loose with this car and somewhat pushing the revs a bit, driving in sport throttle, and downshifting regularly, varying RPMs and speed. No WOT or passing 5500rpm, but getting more squirrelly under the recommended limits.

Yesterday, while the engine was not fully warm, I was having fun and pressed the rpm up to 4700-4800rpm at about 3/4th throttle.

Don't worry about it. If you are even trying to follow BMW's break-in procedure, you will be fine for the long haul.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 10:30 PM   #66
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanism View Post

Don't worry about it. If you are even trying to follow BMW's break-in procedure, you will be fine for the long haul.
Cool, thanks. I figured it was fine, and I was gradual with the accelerator, not like I stomped on it. But appreciate the confirmation!
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0