BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > filling/shaving the bumper reflectors

10-09-2019, 04:19 PM   #1
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

filling/shaving the bumper reflectors

I know IND sells the body coloured replacement for the ugly reflectors on the side of the front bumper. But I'm going to get my bumper repainted anyway so I was thinking I could just shave them.

Can that be done? Pros, cons? Has anyone tried?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 07:08 PM   #2
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
I know IND sells the body coloured replacement for the ugly reflectors on the side of the front bumper. But I'm going to get my bumper repainted anyway so I was thinking I could just shave them.

I think they would fill them with bondo. As the plastic bumper flexes, the bondo will crack and the paint will be ruined.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #3
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Quote:

I think they would fill them with bondo. As the plastic bumper flexes, the bondo will crack and the paint will be ruined.
There's plastic epoxy filler that could be used. It's paintable and flexible like plastic.

That being said, I wouldn't bother. Just get the color matched pieces or a euro spec bumper.
Appreciate 2
Anthony1s755.50
AndrewC198910903.50
      10-13-2019, 08:36 PM   #4
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Wouldn't the process consist of plastic welding a plastic piece on the back and fill it in. Not sure about longevity but if done right I'm sure it should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 08:03 AM   #5
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM2 View Post
Wouldn't the process consist of plastic welding a plastic piece on the back and fill it in. Not sure about longevity but if done right I'm sure it should be fine.
Yes plastic welding is the best option for this. If done correctly it should be very strong and last. The downside is that to do it properly can get expensive. I am not sure the cost of a euro spec bumper but that might be a better option.

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 09:14 AM   #6
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
Yes plastic welding is the best option for this. If done correctly it should be very strong and last. The downside is that to do it properly can get expensive. I am not sure the cost of a euro spec bumper but that might be a better option.
Thanks for the input. I'm in Canada so shipping, taxes, and duties for an euro bumper would be astronomical. I'll probably just pop the reflectors out and have the shop paint them when they do the bumper. That's pretty much zero cost and it should look similar to IND painted pieces with perfect colour match.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 09:52 AM   #7
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I'm in Canada so shipping, taxes, and duties for an euro bumper would be astronomical. I'll probably just pop the reflectors out and have the shop paint them when they do the bumper. That's pretty much zero cost and it should look similar to IND painted pieces with perfect colour match.

Not sure about that specifically, but painting them is the next best option. Personally I like the reflectors and opted to keep them.

Appreciate 0