BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Passenger Seat Rattle

12-18-2017, 07:22 PM   #1
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Don't know if I'm alone in having rattle from passenger side. I'm pretty sure it's the passenger seat because it never rattles when I have a passenger. It's something there that resonates to exhaust frequency at certain RPM, which in my case is somewhere below 2k, on mild throttle and on 2nd gear (more throttle leads to downshift to higher rpm).

I checked UNDERNEATH the passenger seat. Turns out as the picture below the source of rattling is this little black piece of plastic in the middle of a yellow stuff that looks to me like a plug or something. I'm 99% sure of that because the black piece is so not securely attached that you can actually move it a little bit with your finger. Light is dark so I can't take a video but you get the idea.

I have not made a solution to this "insecure" black piece". Any good idea would be appreciated.
Attached Images

12-18-2017, 08:03 PM   #2
///Mē
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
I am not sure if I'm alone in having rattle from passenger side. I'm pretty sure it's the passenger seat because it's completely gone when there is a passenger. It's something there that resonates to exhaust notes at certain RPM, which in my case is somewhere below 2k on mild throttle (more throttle leads to downshift to higher rpm).

I checked UNDER the passenger seat. Turns out as the picture below the source of rattling is this little black piece of plastic in the middle of a yellow stuff that looks to me like a plug or something. I'm 99% sure of that because the black piece is so not securely attached that you can actually move it a little bit with your finger. Light is dark so I can't take a video but you get the idea.

I have not made a solution to this "insecure" black piece". Any good idea would be appreciated.
Not related to the plastic piece you diagnosed, but in my previous car, F30 with the exact same seats, the rattle came from the backrest. Try putting some pressure on it when you hear the rattle I bet you that's the problem. Thus, when you have a passenger it goes away.
      10-12-2019, 09:16 AM   #3
seth_f87
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I know this post is old, but I had to respond for you or anyone else who may come across this.

I literally had the EXACT same issue. When I investigated however, the entire yellow module was out and sitting on top of its bracket. Very strange. I put it back into place, which quelled the rattling somewhat, but the black switch you are referring to still rattles lightly over certain road surfaces and bumps.

The simplest fix is a small piece of electrical tape. Cut about a half inch piece and place it on the back side of the switch, between it and the module. It may take several adjustments to stop the rattling completely, but it should be very straightforward. If the rattling persists without any change, the switch is not the source (or at least not the only source).
Appreciate 0