BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > 2020 M2 delivery in Italy, no Apple Car Play

10-02-2019, 07:47 AM   #1
MaDoose
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
2020 M2 delivery in Italy, no Apple Car Play

So why don't US Spec BMWs, specifically my M2 I just picked up in Italy, have the capability to use Apple Car Play? I guess I don't really understand why it works in the states and not here. My wife's X2 M35i that was bought in the states and shipped here works fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

US spec cars do have CarPlay but you have to pay for it. Does your car have the wireless charger in the armrest compartment? If it does then your car is equipped for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 01:20 PM   #3
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDoose View Post
So why don't US Spec BMWs, specifically my M2 I just picked up in Italy, have the capability to use Apple Car Play? I guess I don't really understand why it works in the states and not here. My wife's X2 M35i that was bought in the states and shipped here works fine.
First check whether your M2 features the Apple CarPlay option:
  • visit this BMW VIN Decoder here;
  • indicate the last 7 characters of the VIN of your M2 (+ eventually complete the CAPTCHA);
  • check whether the list of production specifications that is subsequently displayed features "6CP Preparation Apple CarPlay":
    • if it doesn't: your M2 does not feature the option;
    • if it does: your M2 features the option + check why it doesn't function (activation?).
      10-07-2019, 08:35 AM   #4
MaDoose
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
US spec cars do have CarPlay but you have to pay for it. Does your car have the wireless charger in the armrest compartment? If it does then your car is equipped for it.
Yes, I have the wireless charger but my iphone 8 plus won't fit into it. Wife's X2 is US Spec and does not have wireless charger and Apple Car Play works in it. The salesman tried to explain to me why it doesnt work here but I don't completely understand what difference it makes being here. Something about the VIN not being in the US database until i ship it back to the states????
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #5
MaDoose
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
First check whether your M2 features the Apple CarPlay option:
  • visit this BMW VIN Decoder here;
  • indicate the last 7 characters of the VIN of your M2 (+ eventually complete the CAPTCHA);
  • check whether the list of production specifications that is subsequently displayed features "6CP Preparation Apple CarPlay":
    • if it doesn't: your M2 does not feature the option;
    • if it does: your M2 features the option + check why it doesn't function (activation?).
Yes, it states that has 6CP-Apple Carplay Preparation
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 06:25 PM   #6
///Cardia
///M Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: N55 F87

Quote:
Yes, I have the wireless charger but my iphone 8 plus won't fit into it. Wife's X2 is US Spec and does not have wireless charger and Apple Car Play works in it. The salesman tried to explain to me why it doesnt work here but I don't completely understand what difference it makes being here. Something about the VIN not being in the US database until i ship it back to the states????
I had the same issue when I lived in Italy (stationed in Vicenza) and mine is obviously US spec as well. I had to get Carplay once I made it back. Unfortunately our vehicles VIN aren't in the US database until we ship it back (PCS). My advice is for you to keep your invoice showing that you purchased the option (if you're going to) so you can get it installed once you're back CONUS or get it coded for $50.

Ensure to get the warranty form from your dealership before you move back to the states so your warranty is transferred to the US.
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2019, 11:51 PM   #7
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Apple carplay is useless to be honest
Appreciate 1
chris7197331.50
      10-08-2019, 01:53 AM   #8
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvette View Post
Apple carplay is useless to be honest
That's a matter of opinion... I actually like iDrive 6, and the navigation software is pretty good, but Waze in cities is unparalleled.

Android Auto isn't available, and CarPlay does a really good job, especially after you've got full screen CarPlay enabled.

CarPlay was just one of many reasons I switched back to iPhone, and I'm very happy with the iPhone and with CarPlay now that I've made the switch. I wouldn't say it's useless at all.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
///Cardia299.50
      10-08-2019, 03:16 AM   #9
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
That's a matter of opinion... I actually like iDrive 6, and the navigation software is pretty good, but Waze in cities is unparalleled.

Android Auto isn't available, and CarPlay does a really good job, especially after you've got full screen CarPlay enabled.

CarPlay was just one of many reasons I switched back to iPhone, and I'm very happy with the iPhone and with CarPlay now that I've made the switch. I wouldn't say it's useless at all.
I have an iPhone XS Max now but I also have had many Nexus and Google Pixel phones. I think CarPlay is not quite as good as Android Auto, but they are both pretty bad and prefer using the phones in a mount to either one.

CarPlay is limited, and F8x is not really meant for touchscreens as it's mounted farther away from the driver. The most annoying thing is that Siri is garbage compared to Google Assistant for even the most basic tasks like changing music. It's too bad Apple doesn't just pay Google to license Assistant. Siri is like the Bing of voice assistants... actually that's not fair to Bing. Cortana on my last Windows Phone 4 years ago was better than Siri is today on an iPhone 11 Pro.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 04:40 AM   #10
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I think CarPlay is not quite as good as Android Auto, but they are both pretty bad and prefer using the phones in a mount to either one.
Android Auto vs Apple Carplay:

#5 (Oct 2019):

#4 (July 2019):

#3 (Sep 2018):

#2 (Jan 2018):

#1 (March 2017):
      10-10-2019, 12:57 PM   #11
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
OP, is your only issue Apple carplay not working? I picked my US Spec car up at the Welt to enjoy while stationed in Europe. I got carplay from the factory ($300 option) and neither carplay nor connected drive work. The Nav mostly works but it runs from a USB drive under the armrest and while it will guide, it will not store addresses or recent destinations and there is no way to update it.

I called BMW NA (Genius!) and all they could tell me was that they don't recognize my VIN so they can't help me. I assume that the car has a SIM card built into it somewhere and it needs to connect to a US cell network such a Verizon to initiate some kind of set up. Your wife's X2 was already working before you shipped it over so the initiation was already complete.

As you know, Carplay works on European cars but I don't know if swapping the component with the SIM card (?) would make any difference as your VIN will not be in any European Database but this is all conjecture on my part.

Last edited by dtmurf; 10-10-2019 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 09:11 AM   #12
MaDoose
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Cardia View Post
I had the same issue when I lived in Italy (stationed in Vicenza) and mine is obviously US spec as well. I had to get Carplay once I made it back. Unfortunately our vehicles VIN aren't in the US database until we ship it back (PCS). My advice is for you to keep your invoice showing that you purchased the option (if you're going to) so you can get it installed once you're back CONUS or get it coded for $50.

Ensure to get the warranty form from your dealership before you move back to the states so your warranty is transferred to the US.
What's this coding for $50 you speak of? Is that some sort of workaround?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 09:12 AM   #13
///Cardia
///M Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: N55 F87

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Cardia View Post

What's this coding for $50 you speak of? Is that some sort of workaround?
My MFlight buddy will send the code via email then you download to USB. Once on USB insert into slot under armrest for install. If interested, he's available to help for $50, send me a PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 02:51 AM   #14
csg
always learning
Rep
Drives: fast, takes chances

Howdy! Looks like we will be driving the same car around Aviano! I pre ordered a HS M2C with orange highlights back in August. Michele tells me it will be a '21 model but I'm not so sure. We're hoping for a March production and April delivery. Right now I'm driving a Mineral Grey M235i. Wave if you see me! We'll have to get the M2s together after I take delivery!
1997 Land Rover Defender 300TDi (ours)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 02:19 AM   #15
rotomoto712
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Convertible

Hello M2 owner from Germany here. I just went through this with BMW of Germany a couple of months ago, and the consensus is that the EU spec models use a different type of receiver, so your BMW connect, Carplay etc., will not work in the EU market unless you switch to the EU Receiver. The only exception is navigation, which you can have flashed to the EU maps and POIs for ~250 euro.
Appreciate 0