BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Installed: Remus Sport + AA midpipe (stock DPs)

10-02-2019, 11:03 PM   #1
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Installed: Remus Sport + AA midpipe (stock DPs)

Thanks to the forum members and the many different people who answered my endless questions. Also thanks to Mike at Remus for his emails and Mike at Extreme Power House for fast and superb service.

After considering all of the various options I picked the Remus Sport with AA midpipe hoping for a small increase in sound volume, a deeper tone, maybe a small power gain, and certainly a better look than the OEM rear section. Many people have commented that the car gets noticeably louder with the AA midpipe, and after having my hearing damaged by my de-catted and essentially unsilenced 4" Ti GTR exhaust I was fearful of too much sound... so instead of the Remus Race, I opted for the Remus sport. This version has a larger main silencer, and also 2 small side silencers (used when the valves are open).

Shout out to Rob at Driver's Source for always doing a great job, and to my friend Steve Ott for not only running a bad a$$ shop but being a true car and motorsport enthusiast.

Too many words, not enough pics thus far...

Review: The fit and finish of the AA midpipe was excellent as were the instructions and fit. The same goes for the Remus piece which had gorgeous welds and overall felt like a premium piece. The tips were especially nicely done. Rob pictured above had no real issues with fit and said install was very straightforward.

Volume: the issue here for me is the ASD. Turning it off is so dramatic that you are really starting from scratch in terms of sound volume. To that end, with my ASD coded OFF... I would say from inside the cockpit, valves closed, the car is whisper silent. You can hear a faint exhaust sound, but its true stealth mode. Even with the AA midpipe... its quiet. I would say its equivocal to OEM comfort mode ASD on. Windows open, you hear the beautiful tone but it is very low volume. Great for going low profile.

Valves open, it is only 10-20% or so louder than OEM with ASD ON. This confused the hell out of me reading other posts - so to clarify... my new setup ASD OFF, is louder than OEM ASD on. The burbles are WAY more pronounced (no tuning here, MY2020, ugh) - it's so menacing. As the revs climb the exhausts quiets down a little, which I wasn't used to (thanks to being accustomed to ASD due to the fake noise being continuously piped in.) I drive mostly in Sport +, ASD off, and the volume is never unwelcomed. Honestly, I had expected MUCH louder. This is very civilized.

Outside the car, the exhaust sounds 50% louder than oem valves closed, and 75% louder valves open. It's dramatic. I haven't had anyone drive the car past me so I could listen, but I expect its pretty awesome.

Drone: None. Absolutely none.

Tone: What you can't appreciate from most videos out there is how deep of a tone this combination creates. It's a completely different sound that the OEM + ASD... it is much lower frequency and much smoother. Ive only had it 2 days, but so far, I really enjoy the tonal qualities. Very "european" if that is a sound profile... there is no harshness and very little rasp.

Aesthetics: Incredible. The tips fill the valence perfectly and the whole setup looks on point.

All in all, I could not be happier. I think the sounds is exactly what I'd hoped and honestly I would have even liked it a bit louder, but at some point when the OBD tuning is resolved, adding downpipes won't be over the top, volume wise. I will try to use a nicer mic and get some sound / video.

Cheers
2012 - 5.2L R8 v10, 6MT
2011 - 4.0L E92 M3, 6MT
Appreciate 6
2PUTT512.50
VIERsr2621.50
m20e30871150.00
mcvaughan704.00
Dav3948.50
RemusUSA227.50
      10-02-2019, 11:40 PM   #2
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

great post. videos soon please.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 02:31 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats OP!! You got the best sounding exhaust combo in my opinion

Cant wait for the sound clip

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 09:41 AM   #4
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Very nice! I too take my cars to Steve and second the recommendation. Now that I moved to an M2C (same color), I may have to check out the Remus!
      10-05-2019, 10:05 AM   #5
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
Very nice! I too take my cars to Steve and second the recommendation. Now that I moved to an M2C (same color), I may have to check out the Remus!
Did you just do camber plates? Steve was telling me about it. He's always worked on my cars - awesome dude. The setup on my GTR was meticulous. Had to get rid of the low hanging exhaust can on the M2c as first mod... suspension next.

If youre thinking about an exhaust, its always better to hear live - you're welcome to check it out any time.
2012 - 5.2L R8 v10, 6MT
2011 - 4.0L E92 M3, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #6
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas View Post
Quote:
Did you just do camber plates? Steve was telling me about it. He's always worked on my cars - awesome dude. The setup on my GTR was meticulous. Had to get rid of the low hanging exhaust can on the M2c as first mod... suspension next.

If youre thinking about an exhaust, its always better to hear live - you're welcome to check it out any time.
I did. Also did pads and fluid. Waiting for Apex wheels, and have R888's ready to go. Am going to do COTA next month and can't wait to get a comparison with my previous track prepped M4.

Yes, was talking to Steve yesterday about your car when picking up my daughter's Rover. Would love to hear your car sometime!
      10-05-2019, 10:41 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lets do it!

Appreciate 1
mcvaughan704.00
      10-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #8
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did. Also did pads and fluid. Waiting for Apex wheels, and have R888's ready to go. Am going to do COTA next month and can't wait to get a comparison with my previous track prepped M4.

Yes, was talking to Steve yesterday about your car when picking up my daughter's Rover. Would love to hear your car sometime!
Steve and Rob told me about your M4 - said you pulled out all the stops and it was a pretty wicked ride!

Im racing with WRL at COTA in December but doing that Shin track day in Feb next year in the M2. Will be interested in what you think of the stock suspension with camber plates. Ive been thinking the next move is M-sport coil overs + camber plates + apex + R888s and will probably mimic your brake setup. Thanks for being first on that one so I can copy
2012 - 5.2L R8 v10, 6MT
2011 - 4.0L E92 M3, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 11:01 AM   #9
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Steve and Rob told me about your M4 - said you pulled out all the stops and it was a pretty wicked ride!

Im racing with WRL at COTA in December but doing that Shin track day in Feb next year in the M2. Will be interested in what you think of the stock suspension with camber plates. Ive been thinking the next move is M-sport coil overs + camber plates + apex + R888s and will probably mimic your brake setup. Thanks for being first on that one so I can copy
Yes I was planning to do the HPDE.

Since mine is my DD now I may forego suspension. If I was to then it would be MCS. Will let you know. May try to get out to MSRH before going to COTA but that depends on when Apex will get here.
      10-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #10
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes I was planning to do the HPDE.

Since mine is my DD now I may forego suspension. If I was to then it would be MCS. Will let you know. May try to get out to MSRH before going to COTA but that depends on when Apex will get here.
Mine is a daily too... Ive hear the M-2 way (by KW) is actually decent on the road, even with the stiffer springs. We shall see
2012 - 5.2L R8 v10, 6MT
2011 - 4.0L E92 M3, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #11
idle918
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Wow that looks really good. Does anything need to be cut if you do the AA + Remus Exhaust? I know if you do just the AA midpipe the original exhaust had to be cut I believe.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 02:33 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idle918 View Post
Wow that looks really good. Does anything need to be cut if you do the AA + Remus Exhaust? I know if you do just the AA midpipe the original exhaust had to be cut I believe.
No cutting needed when you do both.

We did Active Autowerke midpipe on the shop's M4 first, then added the REMUS later. The install on the M2C is very similar

Active Autowerke midpipe

REMUS axle back

Appreciate 1
RemusUSA227.50
      10-08-2019, 05:24 PM   #13
RemusUSA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: One of each

REMUS M2 Competition Sport Exhaust

@Malakas Thank you so much for your thoughtful and insightful write up. Very much appreciated and glad you are happy with that set up. I apologize about the box it was shipped to you in. Kind of Frankensteinish but it came to us direct from Austria via air freight and we had to patch it up before shipping off to you.

Shout out to Mike from Extreme as well. We appreciate the support sir!!! Also to the guys at Active Autowerke for making such great products. Always a great combination when we pair with their mid pipes.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2019, 06:52 PM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusUSA View Post
@Malakas Thank you so much for your thoughtful and insightful write up. Very much appreciated and glad you are happy with that set up. I apologize about the box it was shipped to you in. Kind of Frankensteinish but it came to us direct from Austria via air freight and we had to patch it up before shipping off to you.

Shout out to Mike from Extreme as well. We appreciate the support sir!!! Also to the guys at Active Autowerke for making such great products. Always a great combination when we pair with their mid pipes.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 09:34 PM   #15
malakas2
M Stable
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C, E36 M3

Quote:

All in all, I could not be happier. I think the sounds is exactly what I'd hoped and honestly I would have even liked it a bit louder, but at some point when the OBD tuning is resolved, adding downpipes won't be over the top, volume wise. I will try to use a nicer mic and get some sound / video.

Cheers
From one Malakas to another, very well done indeed! Do post the video so we can discern sounds at different settings. Have someone record with your GoPro as you go down the street. Wish I had access/close proximity to Steve's shoppe...
Appreciate 0