BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Test drove a few competitors today

10-05-2019, 09:02 PM   #1
Tiss'er
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LBB LCI

Test drove a few competitors today

I drove a 2018 718 Cayman S. This was pretty well loaded except for the seats which were the standard non-electric versions. It had PASM, sport chrono, carerra wheels, PDK and a few other goodies. I was allowed to test this alone (my dad was a passenger) and the car had 13k miles so it was broken in.

Let me start by saying that this is what I would consider my attainable dream car. I currently have a 2018 M2 which I absolutely love, but after all of the reviews I have read and the fact that it is a Porsche, I felt this was my next car. I like small cars that are nimble to work in our super tight canyons.

First thing I noticed was the crazy amount of buffeting with the windows down. I love driving with the windows down and 5 minutes into it my ears began to hurt. I actually enjoyed the sound of the motor at higher revs but even with the windows up I can tell it would wear on me over time. I didn't like climate controls, they are not intuitive or easy to reach. I know the PDK is supposed to be the tranny, but I prefer the DCT in the M2. When backing up, the rear camera is terrible. It is very difficult to get perspective. The M2 camera works very well. Once backed into the final parking space between 2 cars, getting out was very challenging.

So after all of that I felt a bit let down. Sure, the car handles better than the M2, but it didn't feel hugely different. I tend to do 11-12 hour extended canyon drives and not sure I can deal with the Cayman. I was crushed really.

To be fair, I did drive a 2017 Alfa Gulia QV before the Cayman. The QV has 7600 miles and was pretty much the standard spec which is really very good for the money. The infotainment is lacking but the seats are amazing, the steering wheel feels nice though I prefer the M wheel. This car really has a split personality. In comfort mode, the car rides exceptionally well over rough pavement. It is smooth an quiet. My dad was pleased. Smash the loud pedal however, and everything changes. The car makes some great noises, inside and out of the car. I like the sound better than the M2 honestly. The traction control is great where I find the M2 to be a bit too intrusive. The QV corners so well and the 12:1 steering ratio is something I really like. It also felt much smaller than the actual dimensions would suggest. The QV is just planted. Not to mention it is beautiful from all angles. It is missing the LED light tech of the M2 and the tech in general is dated. However I find the interior to be well put together and I think it will age well. The Cayman has a rattle on the driver side door where the QV was silent. I know the reliability issues that come with an Alfa, but much of it comes down to a poorly charged battery and low voltage. QVs are pretty rare here in Phoenix though the 2.0L version is more popular.

I don't know what it was, but I just felt a connection with the QV. It felt alive in a sense. I think I will be spending more time researching this beauty.
Appreciate 4
bi0hazard132.00
x233284.00
boostm3683.00
Got f1?679.50
      10-09-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Appreciate the write up. Hard to beat the M2, especially in Competition form.
Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
      10-09-2019, 04:52 PM   #3
BlacMacJac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW '20 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiss'er View Post
I don't know what it was, but I just felt a connection with the QV. It felt alive in a sense. I think I will be spending more time researching this beauty.
I was sure I was going to get a QV and had even convinced myself I could manage my expectations with bugs/reliability concerns - but ultimately the utter lack of a dealer network in Dallas proper and large concern over quality service available without having to drive 45 miles each way, killed it for me.

But, I agree, the QV is a stunningly fun car to drive, even without a 6sp (which is the other big reason I ended up with a M2C) and it certainly scratched the deep itch of wanting to be able to say I "own an Italian sports car".

My suggestion to you is: Do a LOT of research about your local dealer and their service dep't before you buy one. Especially if it is a Alfa/Fiat combo and not a Alfa/Masarati combo. Talk to people who have experience using them.

the QV isn't really that much more prone to issues than other brands/models - but it is up there and the lack of experienced, certified mechanics is a known issue for the brand.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      10-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #4
mpower1226
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT

It’s funny because i just traded in my m2 for QV. I alteady have a 4c as a summer car and fortunately there are alfa/Maserati dealers scattered around the city i live(toronto), so the service is not a concern.

I love the car but wish i had purchased a red competition color but instead got a white color which isnt bad but not matching to my 4c..

Now somehow if i can convince my wife to changer her mercedes to stelvio quadrifoglio that would be a holy trinity lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacMacJac View Post
I was sure I was going to get a QV and had even convinced myself I could manage my expectations with bugs/reliability concerns - but ultimately the utter lack of a dealer network in Dallas proper and large concern over quality service available without having to drive 45 miles each way, killed it for me.

But, I agree, the QV is a stunningly fun car to drive, even without a 6sp (which is the other big reason I ended up with a M2C) and it certainly scratched the deep itch of wanting to be able to say I "own an Italian sports car".

My suggestion to you is: Do a LOT of research about your local dealer and their service dep't before you buy one. Especially if it is a Alfa/Fiat combo and not a Alfa/Masarati combo. Talk to people who have experience using them.

the QV isn't really that much more prone to issues than other brands/models - but it is up there and the lack of experienced, certified mechanics is a known issue for the brand.
Appreciate 1
termigni1080.00
      11-16-2019, 06:19 AM   #5
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Hence why I also stuck with my F80 M3. The magazines run tests that either have a different focus or are too short term where you overlook a lot of things. BMWs are very good at being jack of all trades. Comfortable, intuitive controls, with good performance. Great combo.

Agree I'd take a QV over the cayman simply for utility. Don't trust the QV long term though. A lot of people making excuses for "early builds" but I'm not buying it.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 08:37 AM   #6
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I have wanted to like the Cayman since the beginning, but it's just not quite there yet, for me. I think it's probably my fault though, I have an Exige, which just destroys the baby-soft Cayman in every way.

I too think the M2's TC is too intrusive. I actually think the entire system needs a lot of work, the nannies in this car kinda' suck unless they're all the way off.

The Alfa, regardless of feel, is just too big for me. I agree with several things you said though, very connected, and a great sound, but the reliability would put me off of this car for sure.

Great assessments.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #7
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Audi TTS...Sucks...Digital dash and controls too complicated and non-intuitive....Hated it!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 09:31 AM   #8
adrianBMW99
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Audi TTS...Sucks...Digital dash and controls too complicated and non-intuitive....Hated it!!!!
Audi MMI is so frustrating, people will argue the VC is the best in the biz until you actually have to use it... It's apparent BMW spent a ton on Idrive.
Appreciate 1