BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Replacement iDrive Controller Programing?

09-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #1
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I accidentally spilled a can of Redbull on my ceramic iDrive controller and all the buttons became sticky.

When I attempted to open it up to clean it, I snapped one of the fragile harness.

Anyways, I purchased a replacement controller for the exact specs of my vehicle, which works fine but now it's throwing a "shadow code" within ISTA+ indicting that the new controller needs to be "programmed" to the iDrive.

I'm taking it to the dealer to have it programmed, however, I'm not sure if they need to program just the iDrive module or the entire iStep. Obviously, my service writer has no idea what I'm talking about.

I don't want them to update my entire vehicle's software for various reasons. I just want the fault to disappear, as it doesn't bode well for my OCD.

Anyone have any idea what sort of programming is needed upon replacement of an iDrive touch controller?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 06:05 PM   #2
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I accidentally spilled a can of Redbull on my ceramic iDrive controller and all the buttons became sticky.

When I attempted to open it up to clean it, I snapped one of the fragile harness.

Anyways, I purchased a replacement controller for the exact specs of my vehicle, which works fine but now it's throwing a "shadow code" within ISTA+ indicting that the new controller needs to be "programmed" to the iDrive.

I'm taking it to the dealer to have it programmed, however, I'm not sure if they need to program just the iDrive module or the entire iStep. Obviously, my service writer has no idea what I'm talking about.

I don't want them to update my entire vehicle's software for various reasons. I just want the fault to disappear, as it doesn't bode well for my OCD.

Anyone have any idea what sort of programming is needed upon replacement of an iDrive touch controller?
Yes, you need to use E-Sys and program/code only controller(ZBE module).
No need to use ISTA and program the whole car.

Thanks
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      10-01-2019, 11:47 AM   #3
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post

Thanks
All correct, but just so you know, there is no issue with upgrading the entire I-Step. I did mine late last week to get Fullscreen CarPlay (working great by the way), and though I could have updated only the NBT2 unit, I was concerned about pre-requisites and so did the whole car. The process took 49 mins, and after all errors were cleared, and the Airbag re-enabled, the car was good to go on the newer I-Step. Obviously I lost all of my coding, but had backups of the settings, and with E-Sys this is pretty easy to do.

One concern I had before flashing was that my DME might get updated during the process. I'm running Bootmod3, and flashed back to stock and locked the DME before I started, but even that may not have been necessary...

Fortunately, calculating the list of updates in E-Sys shows you exactly what is going to be updated, showing each module and columns for Bootloader, Software, and Coding. From I-Step F020 17-11-530 to I-Step F020 19-07-539 the DME receives coding only, so presumably something minor and nothing that would affect my Bootmod3 flash. You're probably in the same boat!

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      10-01-2019, 12:45 PM   #4
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
Quote:

Thanks
All correct, but just so you know, there is no issue with upgrading the entire I-Step.
Thanks you for your response, your contributions are always helpful

I don't mind getting a full software update but my concern is if the dealer updates all the modules, it would revert the "bulbs checks" I removed for my LCI LED taillights and produce an error message, since they would be programmed back to factory set parameters.

Not to mention I have a European headlight switch installed, which would also produce a fault code, since that was also re-coded it to adapted to my US-spec vehicle.

I just want the iDrive controller fault removed, as I'm not trying to rock the boat, as far as updates are concern.

My appointment is this Friday, I will update this thread when they're done with my vehicle. Might be helpful to someone in the future, as there is nothing related to this subject anywhere on Bimmerpost.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 09:48 AM   #5
Poochie
United_States
Rep

To close out this thread and answer my own question, the dealer replaced iDrive controller but did not have to update any of the vehicle's core data.

My first question to the service advisor was "did you guys have to update the vehicle's firmware" and he looked at me confused, like I had three ass cheeks or something..

I'm happy, everything is working now and I didn't lose any of my coding, so whatever.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 10:20 AM   #6
Chris_ks
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 lci

Quote:
To close out this thread and answer my own question, the dealer replaced iDrive controller but did not have to update any of the vehicle's core data.

My first question to the service advisor was "did you guys have to update the vehicle's firmware" and he looked at me confused, like I had three ass cheeks or something..

I'm happy, everything is working now and I didn't lose any of my coding, so whatever.
Old post but would be great if you see the message. I didn’t understand finally what did he coded to remove this “fault” ?
I did exactly the same change and the fault says control unit is not coded..
So which is the solution ?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 10:51 AM   #7
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_ks View Post
Quote:

Old post but would be great if you see the message. I didn't understand finally what did he coded to remove this "fault" ?
I did exactly the same change and the fault says control unit is not coded..
So which is the solution ?
What happen was, the error was lingering in my vehicle's mapping. I took my vehicle to dealer to have the iDrive controller replaced due to unrelated issue and assumed that when they replaced the controller and programmed it, the error would be eliminated.

However, the incompetent dealer just physically replaced the controller but did not program the software to the vehicle, as prescribed by BMW, so the fault below continued to persist.

The only way the fault permanently erases is after a new controller is replaced, the entire vehicle's firmware has to be programmed and updated to match latest i-Level integration, thus, electronically syncing the new hardware (controller) with the vehicle's mapping.

As far as I see, there is absolutely no other way to eliminate this fault other than the dealer programming because trust me, I've tried it all and even spoke to a few professional coders here and no one was able to help with this issue.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 01:14 PM   #8
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

I changed the iDrive knob by myself because there is no official dealer near me. After change i read about fault codes and I have the same one as you. (Says: 801410 —> Coding:control unit is not coded )
Everything is working fine but i was just wondering if i could easily erase this fault.. 🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️ But as you say me i can’t..

P.S Thank you very much for your answer!! 🙂

Last edited by Chris_ks; 03-03-2021 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 06:39 AM   #9
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_ks View Post
I changed the iDrive knob by myself because there is no official dealer near me. After change i read about fault codes and I have the same one as you. (Says: 801410 —> Coding:control unit is not coded )
Everything is working fine but i was just wondering if i could easily erase this fault.. 🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️ But as you say me i can’t..

P.S Thank you very much for your answer!! 🙂
Fault doesn't affect on anything but to get rid of it you would need to get iDrive Controller (ZBE) coded with E-Sys.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 01:37 PM   #10
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

Quote:
Fault doesn't affect on anything but to get rid of it you would need to get iDrive Controller (ZBE) coded with E-Sys.
Hallo, yes indeed it doesn’t effect anything but i am asking if i could totally remove it, i have esys(light) do you know what should I code to remove it as you said ?
Appreciate 0