10-08-2019, 06:10 AM   #1
MAMBA_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 SPY G80 M3C Xdrive

Brake pad swap questions

For those of you who track a lot...

I recently got pagid's as i get more into tracking my car. I switched out the pads myself prior to the track day. When i take off from a slow start, i hear a loud popping sound from the brakes. From research, it seems this is the brake pad slapping against the caliper, root cause potentially from not greasing the guide pins and/or brake pads?

So i have a couple of questions in regards to this
1) has anyone else experienced this before? How did you fix it?
2) what brand/type of grease do you use for the pads and for the guide pins?
3) on the pads, i assume you are greasing the back of the pad, not where the pad contacts the rotor (yes i know stupid question of the day but want to do this right)

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 08:27 AM   #2
Ggeezer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

1) Completely normal with the Pagids since they do not have the same brackets as the OEM pads to prevent the back-and-forth motion when changing direction. You'll usually only get the noise when going from forward to reverse, and vice-versa.
2) & 3) I haven't used any grease when doing my swaps. Granted I have less than 5,000 miles on mine.
Appreciate 2
rich8566608.50
MAMBA_M3191.50
      10-08-2019, 09:19 PM   #3
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2USIAST View Post

I recently got pagid's as i get more into tracking my car. I switched out the pads myself prior to the track day. When i take off from a slow start, i hear a loud popping sound from the brakes. From research, it seems this is the brake pad slapping against the caliper, root cause potentially from not greasing the guide pins and/or brake pads?

3) on the pads, i assume you are greasing the back of the pad, not where the pad contacts the rotor (yes i know stupid question of the day but want to do this right)

Thanks in advance!
Totally normal Pagid pad noise. You ain't heard nothin' yet until they start to squeal. And as for grease, we don't need no stinkin' grease.
      10-08-2019, 10:15 PM   #4
MAMBA_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 SPY G80 M3C Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Totally normal Pagid pad noise. You ain't heard nothin' yet until they start to squeal. And as for grease, we don't need no stinkin' grease.
Ok great ive been hearing the squeaking nonstop given the different compound, but snapping i was not expecting.

So safe to say this isnt an indication of improper installation?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 12:49 AM   #5
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Ok great ive been hearing the squeaking nonstop given the different compound, but snapping i was not expecting.

So safe to say this isnt an indication of improper installation?
Yup, the clunk is normal. So is the squealing.

I've tried greasing the back of the pads before, not really sure if it help since it still squealed.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 06:31 AM   #6
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Yup. 100% normal with most track pads. I run ferodo's and experience the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 08:22 AM   #7
TBURKE555
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

I agree. I have the same issues with my PFC 08's
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 05:02 AM   #8
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

I use a small amount of Bendix brake grease (pads only, not pins) and don't get any clunking or like with the RSL29 pads. By the time I do the 25km heavy traffic drive home from track the squeal is another matter, it could wake the dead.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #9
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
I use a small amount of Bendix brake grease (pads only, not pins) and don't get any clunking or like with the RSL29 pads. By the time I do the 25km heavy traffic drive home from track the squeal is another matter, it could wake the dead.
i literally lold at "could wake the dead"

another reference point here. my pfc08s clunk and squeal like crazy. i dont use any grease on the track pads nor on my stock pads when i reinstall. nor do i bother using brake clean to get all the dust off before reinstall. no squealing on the stock pads either. im at 27k miles.

trackdecals has a sticker that says "brakes squeal because racecar" ive been debating getting that lol
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 02:02 PM   #10
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Yep, like others have said, all normal.

My track pads (PFC08's) clunk once when I go from forward to reverse and vice versa.

And BOY do they squeal! In my work car garage today it was comical how loud it was, I couldn't help but laugh to myself embarrassingly as I tried to avoid bursting the eardrums of anyone nearby.

Might have to get off my arse and do that pad swap tonight
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 02:02 PM   #11
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasypeanut View Post

another reference point here. my pfc08s clunk and squeal like crazy. i dont use any grease on the track pads nor on my stock pads when i reinstall. nor do i bother using brake clean to get all the dust off before reinstall. no squealing on the stock pads either. im at 27k miles.

trackdecals has a sticker that says "brakes squeal because racecar" ive been debating getting that lol
I had that sticker on the bottom of my rear window. That and Heal and Toe sticker. I used Carbotech pads on that car, and PFC08 on the M2. The PFCs are louder. It's insane how they squeel.
Attached Images

2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 2
mcvaughan704.00
VegasM285.50
      10-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #12
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasypeanut View Post

haha I missed this post.. .totally agree... the squeal is real!!!

I've seen that sticker a lot but I don't think I can pull it off with the M2. As modified as mine is, it's still a road car
Appreciate 0