BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2 Competition M Performance Exhaust (MPE) is coming for US and Canada in March 2019

09-22-2019, 02:32 PM   #199
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M4x

Lol i think id rather have mine. $6,000 versus £690

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 12:50 AM   #200
bimmer4life24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Marcodf13 View Post
So I finally took delivery of my M2C! Some initial obligatory pics attached.

First off, visually the MPE looks better in person than it does in pictures. You have to be really low to the ground to the see it hanging (or standing pretty far back) and even when you do see it I think it looks way better than the original exhaust. It looks like it's meant to be there whereas the original exhaust looks out of place, maybe it's the shape and the 'ridges/indents' in the original which contribute to the 'udder' look. I'm keen to see how it looks after some time and when the titanium starts to get some colour.

Now on to the sound. Personally I'm really, really happy with the sound. It has a depth and bass to it that I love. Unfortunately it doesn't come through on videos but I have attached a short clip from inside the car (this was recorded in an underground parking). I'll try get some more recordings in the coming days. I'm also not revving it all the way since I'm still in the break-in period.

When driving at low speeds and letting off the throttle the exhaust has an amazing "rumble". I think that's the best way to describe it, it doesn't burble but rather it rumbles instead and it sounds glorious. You can also hear the exhaust from inside the car when the windows are up so that's great. As you climb up the rev range the 'metallic' S55 sound does come through (and it's starting to grow on me) and you get some awesome sounds on upshifts. I can't wait to hear it at 6-7k RPM and when the exhaust has run in a bit more.

I wish I could provide a comparative review, but unfortunately I haven't heard any other systems in-person. I hope this was helpful to some!
Does the MPE for the competition come with a bluetooth remote to control the valves opening? If not, any idea how to open the valves?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 01:59 AM   #201
///M_ZA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4life24 View Post
Does the MPE for the competition come with a bluetooth remote to control the valves opening? If not, any idea how to open the valves?
The valves are controlled via the efficient/sport/+ button so there's no external control. You can hear the difference between the modes in this clip:

I also have a short driving clip. At 16 seconds there is a recording from inside the car, and at 33 seconds a recording from outside.

Appreciate 3
      10-22-2019, 02:42 AM   #202
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Marcodf13 View Post
So I finally took delivery of my M2C! Some initial obligatory pics attached.

First off, visually the MPE looks better in person than it does in pictures. You have to be really low to the ground to the see it hanging (or standing pretty far back) and even when you do see it I think it looks way better than the original exhaust. It looks like it's meant to be there whereas the original exhaust looks out of place, maybe it's the shape and the 'ridges/indents' in the original which contribute to the 'udder' look. I'm keen to see how it looks after some time and when the titanium starts to get some colour.

Now on to the sound. Personally I'm really, really happy with the sound. It has a depth and bass to it that I love. Unfortunately it doesn't come through on videos but I have attached a short clip from inside the car (this was recorded in an underground parking). I'll try get some more recordings in the coming days. I'm also not revving it all the way since I'm still in the break-in period.

When driving at low speeds and letting off the throttle the exhaust has an amazing "rumble". I think that's the best way to describe it, it doesn't burble but rather it rumbles instead and it sounds glorious. You can also hear the exhaust from inside the car when the windows are up so that's great. As you climb up the rev range the 'metallic' S55 sound does come through (and it's starting to grow on me) and you get some awesome sounds on upshifts. I can't wait to hear it at 6-7k RPM and when the exhaust has run in a bit more.

I wish I could provide a comparative review, but unfortunately I haven't heard any other systems in-person. I hope this was helpful to some!

Which lip spoiler is this ?
      01-02-2020, 06:34 PM   #203
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quick MPE video

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 2
cb8042351.00
      01-03-2020, 07:48 AM   #204
Big Fabri
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini Huracan

i still believe it is the best sounding one.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 08:16 AM   #205
M-Azing
Antonito
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Quick MPE video

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Quick MPE video

Do you think this sounds as amazing as the N55 M2 with MPE? And do you think the M2CS with standard "dual branch" exhaust will sound similar to M2C MPE?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 09:06 AM   #206
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

Lol you can get an Akra rear box for the same cost. Idk why this is even an option at that price. The Akra sounds miles better
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 08:39 PM   #207
Fenerbahce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbossman View Post
Lol you can get an Akra rear box for the same cost. Idk why this is even an option at that price. The Akra sounds miles better
This is titanium like the Akrapovic, and with a price not that different, it’s really personal preference. Maybe Akrapovic quality is better, but there is something to be said for sticking to BMW parts in terms of the car’s resale/warranty/etc.

Also, have you heard both in person to say this sounds miles better? If so, please elaborate on how they sound different as it’s difficult to tell from videos. There are a lot of comments about how one exhaust or another sounds the “best”, but it is all personal preference and most of these comments are made by folks who haven’t even heard the exhausts in person. If someone has heard multiple aftermarket exhausts in person, I would love to get their thought on the comparative volume, tone, fit/finish, droning, etc. Otherwise, stating one exhaust sounds better than another isn’t very useful to fellow enthusiasts - it just spreads misinformation.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 02:54 PM   #208
Big Fabri
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
i don't like akra..never liked it
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 08:37 PM   #209
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fabri View Post
i don't like akra..never liked it
Have you heard it on M2c? Definitely sounds better then M 3/4 IMO
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 08:43 PM   #210
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenerbahce View Post
This is titanium like the Akrapovic, and with a price not that different, it’s really personal preference. Maybe Akrapovic quality is better, but there is something to be said for sticking to BMW parts in terms of the car’s resale/warranty/etc.

Also, have you heard both in person to say this sounds miles better? If so, please elaborate on how they sound different as it’s difficult to tell from videos. There are a lot of comments about how one exhaust or another sounds the “best”, but it is all personal preference and most of these comments are made by folks who haven’t even heard the exhausts in person. If someone has heard multiple aftermarket exhausts in person, I would love to get their thought on the comparative volume, tone, fit/finish, droning, etc. Otherwise, stating one exhaust sounds better than another isn’t very useful to fellow enthusiasts - it just spreads misinformation.

I have heard both. I have the full system on my car and it sounds muted under 4K and total lunatic over 4K. It’s much throatier and deep in that over 4K range, and also drones less in the 2k-3k range. I was definitely hesitant about the price, but the construction is great, and the weight is just ridiculous. The sound though... intoxicating. Videos truly don’t do it any justice. Really happy I ended up going for it!
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2020, 07:25 AM   #211
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenerbahce View Post
Like any comparision, there are pros and cons to both

Some things worth noting

My understanding is that M2C MPP exhaust only uses a titanium muffler (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

The rest of the pipes are stainless steel

I think the MPP M3/M4 exhaust used a similar construction

Early versions of the M3/M4 MPP exhaust had problems with cracking around the areas where the pipes were welded to the mufflers, but supposedly the issue has been addressed with later versions

The Akrapovic uses titanium throughout (except for the carbon fiber tips)

Akrapovic also offers titanium link pipes that connect the rear section to the downpipes which removes the secondary cats to create a full system from downpipes back
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 10:14 AM   #212
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
I have heard both. I have the full system on my car and it sounds muted under 4K and total lunatic over 4K. It’s much throatier and deep in that over 4K range, and also drones less in the 2k-3k range. I was definitely hesitant about the price, but the construction is great, and the weight is just ridiculous. The sound though... intoxicating. Videos truly don’t do it any justice. Really happy I ended up going for it!
btbossman I take that to mean you have complete Akra set-up? (mid & slip-on rear) Does the Akra mid-pipe throw codes since secondary cats are gone?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 11:27 AM   #213
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
btbossman I take that to mean you have complete Akra set-up? (mid & slip-on rear) Does the Akra mid-pipe throw codes since secondary cats are gone?
I’m in USA but no issues at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 11:50 AM   #214
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
I’m in USA but no issues at all.
I'm USA also. Is your Akra full exhaust or did you use a different mid?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 02:00 PM   #215
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
I'm USA also. Is your Akra full exhaust or did you use a different mid?
Yes it’s the full evolution system.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 11:07 AM   #216
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Bullshit, it is not "suited" for OPF cars. It works 100%! Germans won't get TÜV certification papers for it and therefore it is illegal, but anyone else in Europe or the rest of the world can buy one and install it on his car.

MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Pilot View Post
BMW originally announced two versions of MPE, one for US spec cars and one for OPF equipped cars. However, shortly after that announcement (about couple months later), BMW made another announcement saying that there won't be any MPE for OPF equipped cars. From a technical point of view, you can fit US spec MPE to an OPF equipped M2C (as mentioned above) but it probably won't pass emissions in EU.

Does anybody know if fitting the MPE exhaust (designed for NO OPF cars) for the car with OPF (EU market) will result in CEL warning or not?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 11:53 AM   #217
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
Does anybody know if fitting the MPE exhaust (designed for NO OPF cars) for the car with OPF (EU market) will result in CEL warning or not?
Nope it doesn't... Not that what I heard so far.

MR
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 02:45 PM   #218
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Nope it doesn't... Not that what I heard so far.

MR

Which mean that the MPE can be installed on the M2C with OPF without any issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 05:26 PM   #219
Big Fabri
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
Which mean that the MPE can be installed on the M2C with OPF without any issue?
yes. i did one but the customer didn't want me to register the video. no cell at all. not lack of power i dynoed the car before and after
      03-21-2020, 07:45 PM   #220
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fabri View Post
yes. i did one but the customer didn't want me to register the video. no cell at all. not lack of power i dynoed the car before and after
Wow! That is great news!

Did the exhaust sound improved with the MPE on compared to stock on the OPF car?
Appreciate 0