BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Black 788M DIY repair?

10-05-2019, 10:28 PM   #1
mobile23
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Black 788M DIY repair?

Got a minor scratch on the black 788M wheel. Is there any DYI repair method? Or sending to a repair shop is the only way to go?? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #2
waldrops
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile23 View Post
Got a minor scratch on the black 788M wheel. Is there any DYI repair method? Or sending to a repair shop is the only way to go?? Thanks
The several shops I've talked to don't want to go anywhere near my 788. They all say the dark clear coat is hard to color match
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Got to live with it, because it's impossible to match the rest of your wheels.

I curbed a wheel in the first weeks of ownership. I used as an excuse to buy a whole new set of wheels, because I needed a 2nd set for winter anyway. Few months later, someone sideswiped me and damaged my two passenger wheels. Insurance replaced the two and I got to keep the damaged ones (though I paid out of pocket cause insurance limits of the girl that hit me were too low). Now I have 3 damaged wheels and 7 good ones... Somehow one of the spares got a mark while in storage. So a few weeks ago I took the set of 4 damaged wheels to my dealer to get refinished. They came out okay. I can't tell where any of the damage was at all. But the finish is far from perfect on them and they definitely don't match my OEM finished wheels. But that's okay cause the refinished ones are for winter anyway.

So, my advice is to save up your damaged wheels until you have a set of 4 damaged ones. Then have them refinished. Can buy a full set of used replacements in the classified while you wait, if you don't wanna drive around with a scratched wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 10:02 AM   #4
fryrice
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2c

I just scratched 1 of my rear wheels, forgot that the rear is wider. So now I got 1 scratch. Looks like 1 wheel is about $900+ new.

Probably will just live with it and wait it out.
Appreciate 0