BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Hearing The Brakes

09-08-2019, 11:26 PM   #1
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

Hearing The Brakes

I just bought my first M2 ( Yay! ) and love it but have a question about the brakes. Driving around I notice that when Im slowing down at speeds above 35mph or hour I can hear the brakes make almost a slight rumble noise and I can kinda feel it in the pedal.
First I thought it was the pavement I was on, then I thought maybe it was the car downshifting ( DCT ). But I dont think its either of those....
It's like a very slight rumble noise. Is this just due to the M2 having less sound damping? Im coming from an M240.
The brakes themselves work great. And there is no shutter or anything like that when braking.
Thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 02:57 PM   #2
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

I haven’t experienced this, and it seems no one else has either, since no replies.

I get a performance brakes squeak once in a while that doesn’t bother me.

The brakes at times can be a little grabby at slow speeds also.

I like the power of these brakes at speed!

I don’t like that they seem to produce the same amount of dust as Mount Saint Helens though.

Last edited by natmad; 09-17-2019 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 03:27 PM   #3
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Brand new M2 or used? If it's new it's the new rotors being broken in
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 03:36 PM   #4
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Read the "Steering Wheel Vibration under Braking" thread a few threads down. It's all related.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 07:13 PM   #5
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Brand new M2 or used? If it's new it's the new rotors being broken in
Took it into BMW since I was getting noticeable vibration when braking at higher speeds. They said the rotors have some build up on them, that the previous owner probably didn't drive the car like it should and that I would need to take it on some canyon runs and heat the brakes up and really lay into them.
I did that last weekend and after several laps of laying into the brakes on a back road they did seem to smooth out. Im not getting any rumble at 50mph or less, though I am still feeling a slight rumble but now at higher speeds and deeper into the brake pedal than before.
Im thinking several more weeks of driving and it should be gone. It seems to be getting better.
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      09-19-2019, 08:04 PM   #6
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHog5873 View Post
Took it into BMW since I was getting noticeable vibration when braking at higher speeds. They said the rotors have some build up on them, that the previous owner probably didn't drive the car like it should and that I would need to take it on some canyon runs and heat the brakes up and really lay into them.
I did that last weekend and after several laps of laying into the brakes on a back road they did seem to smooth out. Im not getting any rumble at 50mph or less, though I am still feeling a slight rumble but now at higher speeds and deeper into the brake pedal than before.
Im thinking several more weeks of driving and it should be gone. It seems to be getting better.
Ah that is good to hear. Another way some people speed that process up is swap in some track pads that will really scrape all the embedded stuff and then swap back the street pads. A lot of work but its an option
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      10-16-2019, 06:07 PM   #7
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHog5873 View Post
Ah that is good to hear. Another way some people speed that process up is swap in some track pads that will really scrape all the embedded stuff and then swap back the street pads. A lot of work but its an option
I concur. That will do it.