BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA > Track mode

07-24-2019, 03:58 PM   #23
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

I have to installed titanium backing plates between my pads the caliper piston to keep the heat on the pads + porsche GT3 air diverters. I suspect my calipers will change color but maybe it will take more time..
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 05:38 PM   #24
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
I have to installed titanium backing plates between my pads the caliper piston to keep the heat on the pads + porsche GT3 air diverters. I suspect my calipers will change color but maybe it will take more time..
Which ti backing plates did you buy if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking of doing the same.

Have any of you guys toasted your dust boots from tracking? If this ends up happening to me, I'm wondering if it's a maintenance item I should address after the last track session of the season before winter rolls in (I'll be driving it in the winter too). Sounds like this might be an annual maintenance item if so, and I guess also means I shouldn't consider AP Racing calipers up front in the future since they don't come with dust boots by design.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 08:46 PM   #25
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphung View Post
Which ti backing plates did you buy if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking of doing the same.

Have any of you guys toasted your dust boots from tracking? If this ends up happening to me, I'm wondering if it's a maintenance item I should address after the last track session of the season before winter rolls in (I'll be driving it in the winter too). Sounds like this might be an annual maintenance item if so, and I guess also means I shouldn't consider AP Racing calipers up front in the future since they don't come with dust boots by design.
I didn't check all of mine when I was swapping back to street pads but one or two of mine are also showing some signs of damage. I have already bought a bunch of replacements that I can install once I see them all looking rough (or before the winter).

I'd also be interested in Ti backing plates.

I think if I went the route of a AP BBK then I'd want to turn the car into a summer/track-only car and stop dallying it in the winter. I think I'll look into buying a BP-Engineering undertray with air scoops and running brake ducts to the backing plates before that though. I think going with that solution for the fronts and GT3 scoops/deflectors for the rear are probably the next step.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 05:47 AM   #26
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

I baught them from a russian seller on ebay but can't ou find an add anymore, I will try to dig him up and let your know.

I have not inspected my boots yet but I am pretty sure some could me cooked at the end of this season.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 10:43 PM   #27
kristobias
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux2005 View Post
I'm planning on bringing my coding cable and laptop to the Hanson event on June 21 at Mosport DDT, I'm interested to compare the Euro MDM vs US MDM. It seems like it should be a really easy change.

I really need to get it sorted, my rear brake pads are wearing faster than the fronts due and I struggled to get any power down out of slow corners and even medium corners were a problem at times.

It was good seeing you at Mosport last weekend Kris and thanks for riding along for my last Saturday session, it was a great weekend.
Thanks for the Euro MDM flash! A world of difference. Very little intervention at Mosport and lots of extra slip angle. Like night and day vs the std MDM.
      09-10-2019, 09:10 PM   #28
Ggeezer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristobias View Post
Thanks for the Euro MDM flash! A world of difference. Very little intervention at Mosport and lots of extra slip angle. Like night and day vs the std MDM.
I took it one step further and coded both Euro MDM and GTS MDM, so effectively Euro GTS MDM. I tried it out at Tremblant on Monday and found a noticeable difference in that it lets the rear end come out a little more freely while also not intervening when getting on the throttle on corner exit.

This is definitely how the car should have been programmed from the factory. Looking forward to trying it out even more extensively next season (and through winter, of course).
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #29
kristobias
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggeezer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristobias View Post
I took it one step further and coded both Euro MDM and GTS MDM, so effectively Euro GTS MDM. I tried it out at Tremblant on Monday and found a noticeable difference in that it lets the rear end come out a little more freely while also not intervening when getting on the throttle on corner exit.

This is definitely how the car should have been programmed from the factory. Looking forward to trying it out even more extensively next season (and through winter, of course).
Cool info.

Is your car DCT or 6MT? I'm 6MT and wondering if a GTS tune exists for 6MT.
      09-11-2019, 09:27 PM   #30
Ggeezer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

DCT and no tuning needed. Simply coding where you change the value from F87 to F82GTS. It's somewhere on the forum.

You can even code the power steering to GTS which I'm also happy with.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 09:07 AM   #31
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

So far it was just Euro MDM and at CTMP/Mosport it seems to have made the square tire setup pretty liveable. With US MDM the car simply would not accelerate out of low speed corners with the traction control light flashing the entire way but now it powers out nicely and allows for proper throttle steering. It's surprising how track dependent it can seem, at Calabogie the US MDM wasn't too limiting and still allowed good throttle steering and rotation, at CTMP's DDT it cuts in a bit but doesn't spoil things entirely but on CTMP's big track it would ruin the experience.

I may try out the GTS steering coding and GTS MDM, it sounds like they should be pretty simple to code in while the GTS DCT change is not done via ESys.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 03:59 PM   #32
bykevin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux2005 View Post
So far it was just Euro MDM and at CTMP/Mosport it seems to have made the square tire setup pretty liveable. With US MDM the car simply would not accelerate out of low speed corners with the traction control light flashing the entire way but now it powers out nicely and allows for proper throttle steering. It's surprising how track dependent it can seem, at Calabogie the US MDM wasn't too limiting and still allowed good throttle steering and rotation, at CTMP's DDT it cuts in a bit but doesn't spoil things entirely but on CTMP's big track it would ruin the experience.

I may try out the GTS steering coding and GTS MDM, it sounds like they should be pretty simple to code in while the GTS DCT change is not done via ESys.
Hi I was wondering if you offer coding to others and if so how much you charge. I'm looking to get a few things coded for my F87 M2. Things like Euro / GTS MDM, GTS Steering, airbag warning (I have a Recaro Pole Position installed) and a bunch of other minor codes.
      09-12-2019, 09:31 PM   #33
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _k___l_ View Post
Hi I was wondering if you offer coding to others and if so how much you charge. I'm looking to get a few things coded for my F87 M2. Things like Euro / GTS MDM, GTS Steering, airbag warning (I have a Recaro Pole Position installed) and a bunch of other minor codes.
Unfortunately not, I end up needing to borrow a laptop to do the coding myself. I know @Alex@Alpine on the F80 forums does do remote coding. I may have all the gear to do coding at the Trillium BMW Advanced Driving School in October but I'm not sure yet. I'm also not sure exactly how airbag coding works, I'm familiar with the common features like auto-folding mirrors, removing reverse camera nags, etc, and a couple of the others like Euro MDM and automatic seat movement but I haven't investigated airbag warnings.
Appreciate 0