BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > When to change rotors

07-29-2019, 08:38 PM   #1
compguy36
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

When to change rotors

This is my first full year of tracking a car. Learning a ton. One thing I've asked folks at events is when you know it's time to replace the rotors. I've gotten a wide variety of answers. Hoping someone here can help. I'm 10 days so far on my M2C running Pagid Yellow RS29's. Starting to notice cracks around the cross drilled points on the face of the rotors.

Secondarily have people noticed increased wear based upon pad choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 06:49 PM   #2
eeyang92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by compguy36 View Post
This is my first full year of tracking a car. Learning a ton. One thing I've asked folks at events is when you know it's time to replace the rotors. I've gotten a wide variety of answers. Hoping someone here can help. I'm 10 days so far on my M2C running Pagid Yellow RS29's. Starting to notice cracks around the cross drilled points on the face of the rotors.

The on the tech sheet of the group I run with it usually says you have to make sure there aren't any cracks in the rotor.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 07:43 PM   #3
joseyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 17 488GTB, 16 Cayman S

Some small cracks in drilled rotors for tracked cars are normal. Just make sure none of the cracks are at the outer edge of the rotor or connecting the drilled holes, otherwise you should replace them. If you are planning to track the car frequently, I could recommend that you ditch the drilled rotors and at least go with something slotted or even J-hooks or Brembo type-3. Drilled rotors are not normally recommended for extensive track work because of the cracking at the holes. I am not sure who is making replacement rotors for the M2C. Maybe Girodisc?
2015 Mercedes E63 S AMG
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 09:46 AM   #4
isjoey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is , CBR100RR

Quote:

Seeing small cracking is normal, as mentioned. Below is a great article, which the same can be said for the M2C brakes.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2014/04/13/n...-brake-system/

This being your first year tracking your car you will most likely give your brakes the most punishment. The Pagid RS29 is a great pad although are known to be a little rougher on rotors. The two biggest things that will cause you to wear and abuse rotors at this point is your braking technique and traction control. In short, as you learn, and at some point run with DSC Off your brakes will stay much cooler and not wear, etc. like they will now. Heat is the killer.

I suggest letting a performance shop or BMW dealer help you determine when the replace the rotors, at this point. There is not one answer as there are so many variables at play:

1 - Drivers braking technique - most important
2 - DSC On or Off - On will heat the brakes up much faster, as you start driving faster. It will first cause the rear pads and rotors to heat up fast and wear fast. When you run with DCS Off your fronts will wear twice as fast as the rear pads, general speaking. Don't rush turning it off if you still run with it on.
3 - Pads - which pads, when were they installed, mixing of pad materials, etc. It is best to run a single pad type per set of rotors. Switching of OEM pads back and forth with after market can create mixing of compounds which can create issues (ie bad vibrations, over heating, etc.)
4 - Tracks that you are driving on - some are much tougher on brakes then others

Personally, I was able to get about 25 track days in on my front rotors last year. Still have the same rear rotors on, about 10 (4 x sessions per day) days in this year so far, four different tracks. I drive with DSC Off.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by isjoey; 08-01-2019 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 09:55 AM   #5
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Quote:

Small cracks around the drilled holes are normal and nothing to worry about. Just watch them to monitor whether individual cracks are connecting or meeting the edge. At that point the rotors should be replaced. You should be able to get about 30 days on them before they need to be replaced.
Appreciate 0