BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Any Other Pure Turbos Stage II set ups?

06-03-2020, 06:56 PM   #1
F1wheels
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Any Other Pure Turbos Stage II set ups?

Hi,
I just wanted to see if there was anyone else out there running the set-up that I am. You can see in my sig what AM bolt-ons I am running in conjunction with the Pure Turbo Stage II and the necessary XDI-35 hpfp.
When I first started looking at going to a larger turbo I did some looking into it and for the most part Pure Turbo Stage II came highly reccomended. Now, I won't say that I am completely disappointed but I was honestly expecting more power. On their website they have 2 different dyno charts, one at 18 psi and another at 23 psi. Both of them on the N55 engine. I am using a custom tune from Pure Boost. They are based in Germany but work directly with MHD, so you can use MHD's phone app to load their tune onto your car.
Now when I first looked at their system I seen the 18 psi tune putting out 455 WHP and 469 WTQ. Then the second graph at 23 psi showed 536 WHP and 494 WTQ. Now I have sent multiple emails to the tuner Fabien and asked him about the 23 psi tune and the significant power increase that it nets. He told me that runing 23 psi of boost would not be advisable on my car. He went on to say detonation along with high EGT's would be a problem.
I am currently getting 452 WHP and 467 WTQ out of my current set-up on 92 octane pump gas. I am seriously considering adding a water/meth system to my car. I wanted to ask if anyone else is running a similar set-up and if so are you running higher than 18 psi and what are you getting for numbers on the dyno?
Don't get me wrong, at over 450 WHP the car hauls ass pretty good. But you know how it goes, we always get to a point and then we want MORE power.
Many Thanks,
David
Attached Images

Last edited by F1wheels; 06-03-2020 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 07:04 PM   #2
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1wheels View Post
Hi,
I just wanted to see if there was anyone else out there running the set-up that I am. You can see in my sig what AM bolt-ons I am running in conjunction with the Pure Turbo Stage II and the necessary XDI-35 hpfp.
When I first started looking at going to a larger turbo I did some looking into it and for the most part Pure Turbo Stage II came highly reccomended. Now, I won't say that I am completely disappointed but I was honestly expecting more power. On their website they have 2 different dyno charts, one at 18 psi and another at 23 psi. Both of them on the N55 engine. I am using a custom tune from Pure Boost. They are based in Germany but work directly with MHD, so you can use MHD's phone app to load their tune onto your car.
Now when I first looked at their system I seen the 18 psi tune putting out 455 WHP and 469 WTQ. Then the second graph at 23 psi showed 536 WHP and 494 WTQ. Now I have sent multiple emails to the tuner Fabien and asked him about the 23 psi tune and the significant power increase that it nets. He told me that runing 23 psi of boost would not be advisable on my car. He went on to say detonation along with high EGT's would be a problem.
I am currently getting 452 WHP and 467 WTQ out of my current set-up on 92 octane pump gas. I am seriously considering adding a water/meth system to my car. I wanted to ask if anyone else is running a similar set-up and if so are you running higher than 18 psi and what are you getting for numbers on the dyno?
Don't get me wrong, at over 450 WHP the car hauls ass pretty good. But you know how it goes, we always get to a point and then we want MORE power.
Many Thanks,
David
Water-Methanol is a great addition for any vehicle running a PS2 turbo and if you don't have access to E85. I'm running my PS2 turbo at 22 PSI with charge pipe water methanol and my logs have been insanely clean.

Your tuner is right though. Pump gas limitations on the PS2 turbo seem to be around where you're at for power / boost pressure.

Check my build thread in my signature for more info - I dyno'd at 529wHP with a "suboptimal" JB4 setup. I just recently switched to flash only and couldn't be happier.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 07:17 PM   #3
F1wheels
Enlisted Member
Rep

Pure Turbos Stage II

I must say that your car is insanely beautiful!!! Plus I have to give you kudos on your imagination when coming up with that plate.
Like you I am happy with the way the car runs and I never have any issues of any kind. I just would like a bit more power and my friend that runs a tunning shop down here in the Pacific Northwest makes his own custom water/meth kits. It would be nice to get over that 500 WHP mark as I see your car is putting up some pretty nice numbers.
Thanks for your input, I guess I will have to hit up my friend to make me a kit.
Thank You,
David
      06-03-2020, 07:46 PM   #4
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
I'm also running a PS2 with XDi35 hpfp @22psi on 100 octane race gas making 517whp. My greatest enemy is intake temps with the small ports on our exhaust manifold. I'm planning on moving to a Speedtech EFR kit this winter looking for 700+ hp ~30psi with the added advantage of lower intake temps and hopefully lower octane.
      06-03-2020, 08:27 PM   #5
F1wheels
Enlisted Member
Rep

Pure Turbos Stage II

I happened to find the Speedtech site but of course that was not until I had already commited to the Pure Turbo set-up. Because they make their own exhaust manifold and allowing for a much larger turbo they make some crazy HP numbers!!
I will probably go the way of the water/meth injection as it being the cheapest and easiest for me to do.
I appreciate your reply,
David
      06-03-2020, 10:57 PM   #6
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

452whp is quite an achievement with oct 92. Fabien is being reasonable advising against 23psi map to your application.

Did you actually dyno your car, or care to post/PM a log?
      06-03-2020, 11:34 PM   #7
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
I must say that your car is insanely beautiful!!! Plus I have to give you kudos on your imagination when coming up with that plate.
Like you I am happy with the way the car runs and I never have any issues of any kind. I just would like a bit more power and my friend that runs a tunning shop down here in the Pacific Northwest makes his own custom water/meth kits. It would be nice to get over that 500 WHP mark as I see your car is putting up some pretty nice numbers.
Thanks for your input, I guess I will have to hit up my friend to make me a kit.
Thank You,
David
Achtuning?
      06-04-2020, 01:34 PM   #8
F1wheels
Enlisted Member
Rep

Pure Turbos Stage II

You guessed right, I have known Kelly now for about 10 years or so. He bought my old 97' E36 that was SC'd and in mint condition. He has done all of the work on my cars that I have owned since I met him.
As for the dyno I don't have any to post and data logging I cleared from my phone as I still need to do another run to send to Fabien.
David
      06-04-2020, 02:53 PM   #9
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Quote:
Thank You,
David
Thanks for the kind words! I think you'll be quite satisfied once you up the boost with WMI.

Just understand that with WMI you'll need to be diligent in making sure your system is up to snuff! You'll be using the WMI for octane, and without it the vehicle will not be able to run that boost pressure. Don't let this scare you, but just something to keep in mind. For what it's worth I'm running a CM10 nozzle in the charge pipe right at the intercooler outlet and it seems to be atomizing very well to all cylinders based on logs.

It's not a hassle by any means, just another maintenance item to add to the list

Last edited by Endeav; 06-04-2020 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #10
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Pure stage 2 and XDI-35 are on my plans for this winter. Don't plan on going WMI, too much of a hastle. Will just stick with a 93 octane tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 03:49 PM   #11
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
You guessed right, I have known Kelly now for about 10 years or so. He bought my old 97' E36 that was SC'd and in mint condition. He has done all of the work on my cars that I have owned since I met him.
As for the dyno I don't have any to post and data logging I cleared from my phone as I still need to do another run to send to Fabien.
David
Yep, he's a great guy. Saw him today because they installed my new Turner Monoball Thrust Arm Bearing Set.
      06-09-2020, 02:56 PM   #12
F1wheels
Enlisted Member
Rep

Pure Turbos Stage II

Ya me and Kelly were just talking about your car the other day on the phone. He says that the pictures don't do it justice and that the car is a thing of beauty!
He has one left over Pro Meth kit that is enough hoses and fittings so I could do the Direct Port Injection set-up with a larger nozzle in the charge pipe just to help that much more with intake temps. The only thing it is missing is the pump, which would set me back around $175. Pro Meth's $560 price gets you just the fittings and short lines into each runner and then the hard-line that is connected to the solenoid. I would still need the controller, pump, reservoir tank, wiring. Pro Meth wants $560 for the kit but you have to have your intake off. I wish they had it set-up like most places where you just pay a core fee until you send in your intake. Anyway, Kelly has ridden in my car and he thinks that I have plenty of power as it is right now. I disagree
      06-09-2020, 04:40 PM   #13
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

I'm waiting for my PS2 to be delivered right now. My car is already FBO w/ the Dinan turbo and meth(prometh single nozzle and components controlled via Torqbyte). Once the PS2 is installed I plan on switching from BM3 to Ecutek for tuning. The plan being that I will run a few maps... stock, 91ACN fuel only, 91 + meth and eventually a flex fuel map for maximum power.

Honestly I'm stoked to see that you're making as much power as you are on 92octane. Based off that I suspect that on California 91oct I'll be making around 425whp and hopefully when using meth I can make another 20ish hp.

Regarding prometh and the manifold... just go on eBay. You'll find a manifold for around 60-75 dollars shipped. That's what I did so when/if I need port injection I'll just use that manifold and not have to worry about giving up any parts.
Appreciate 0