BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Too old for an M2C ?

08-22-2020, 01:56 AM   #133
maxrev30
Private
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, 85 1uz v8 yota pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0butt View Post
I'm 29 and feel too old for this car.

Jk, never too old, probably anyone under 25 however is too young.
Just bought my Lbb M2C last week and I'm 24. Seriously love the car. the next thing is to bag it and camber out the wheels!!!

More than 100% kidding though about the camber 😂
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 02:19 PM   #134
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
I don't like to think I'm old, but I am almost 50 with a family so I'm not a teenager either. I have a perfect family car in a Tesla Model S. It's great at everything, except that it's kind of a big boring family sedan. This is definitely a first world problem, but now that the Tesla tech amazingness has worn off, I just drive it around like a minivan. Whenever I hear Elon Musk talk about the next advance in self driving, rather than being appropriately excited, I think.. oh great, so we will make driving even more boring.

I test drove a M2C about a year ago and my reaction was.. "it's alive!" I loved it. But at "my age" I'm debating if an M3/M4 is more appropriate. Or even a 911, although I'm loathe to spend that kind of money on a car. Is the M2C more of a car for 20 year olds or 30 year olds? This sounds like a stupid question in my head even as I type it. But it's a thing. You know, I shouldn't be wearing skinny jeans at some point either (not that they fit me, but you know what I mean).
I think older people are more likely to buy it because the lease rates were bad and I think younger people are more likely to lease. Also younger people tend to be more image focused and prefer to buy a slightly used m4 for the same price as a new m2 as it's a better "value" with more features, more power, more luxury.

Older folks tend to not care what people think as much, don't have as much to prove, and might be looking for a car that feels a certain way rather than just buy the car with the highest numbers they can afford.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 03:09 PM   #135
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
I don't like to think I'm old, but I am almost 50 with a family so I'm not a teenager either. I have a perfect family car in a Tesla Model S. It's great at everything, except that it's kind of a big boring family sedan. This is definitely a first world problem, but now that the Tesla tech amazingness has worn off, I just drive it around like a minivan. Whenever I hear Elon Musk talk about the next advance in self driving, rather than being appropriately excited, I think.. oh great, so we will make driving even more boring.

I test drove a M2C about a year ago and my reaction was.. "it's alive!" I loved it. But at "my age" I'm debating if an M3/M4 is more appropriate. Or even a 911, although I'm loathe to spend that kind of money on a car. Is the M2C more of a car for 20 year olds or 30 year olds? This sounds like a stupid question in my head even as I type it. But it's a thing. You know, I shouldn't be wearing skinny jeans at some point either (not that they fit me, but you know what I mean).
I think older people are more likely to buy it because the lease rates were bad and I think younger people are more likely to lease. Also younger people tend to be more image focused and prefer to buy a slightly used m4 for the same price as a new m2 as it's a better "value" with more features, more power, more luxury.

Older folks tend to not care what people think as much, don't have as much to prove, and might be looking for a car that feels a certain way rather than just buy the car with the highest numbers they can afford.
See, I believe you have it in reverse; most older folks that opted for an M model, bought it for the the prestige that commanders the badge and because they can afford the most expensive one, as oppose to choosing a standard BMW models, that would better fit their mould.

Younger adults (under 40), in this internet era, are more in tune with what they are purchasing but for the most part, can't afford to spend 60k on a vehicle, so the market falls into those with the means to get one..

All my friends that selected an M car, when I asked them what was it that make them gravitate towards that choice; their go-to response is always "because It's the M model" or "It handles better."

'Yea but why, what was it that you specifically needed? Was it the the variable locking LSD, the aluminum suspension, the ventilated cross-drilled rotors, direct-attached subframe, ect.'

"No, I just wanted the M version because M is the best!"

Not saying there are not older folks out there that know what the model entails but you would be surprise how many do just purchase the M model, merely because it's the highest tier available and not necessarily because it was something they really wanted or needed.

Hence the reason the popularity of the big, bobulous, grocery-getters like the X6M & the M5, with a loud exhaust note, 700hp boldly written on the spec sheet, prominently adorning an M badge. Just the headlines & badge alone helps move units.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 03:32 PM   #136
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:

See, I believe you have it in reverse; most older folks that opted for an M model, bought it for the the prestige that commanders the badge and because they can afford the most expensive one, as oppose to choosing a standard BMW models, that would better fit their mould.

Younger adults (under 40), in this internet era, are more in tune with what they are purchasing but for the most part, can't afford to spend 60k on a vehicle, so the market falls into those with the means to get one..

All my friends that selected an M car, when I asked them what was it that make them gravitate towards that choice; their go-to response is always "because It's the M model" or "It handles better."

'Yea but why, what was it that you specifically needed? Was it the the variable locking LSD, the aluminum suspension, the ventilated cross-drilled rotors, direct-attached subframe, ect.'

Not saying there are not older folks out there that know what the model entails but you would be surprise how many do just purchase the M model, merely because it's the highest tier available and not necessarily because it was something they really wanted or needed.

Hence the reason the popularity of the big, bobulous, grocery-getters like the X6M & the M5, with a loud exhaust note, 700hp boldly written on the spec sheet, prominently adorning an M badge. Just the headlines & badge alone helps move units.
look at the stats for the take rate of MT on m2 vs m4. for m2 in the USA isn't it like 50%+ for mt. For the m4 I forget but it's like 12% or something low. I think this should offer a clue on what demographic actually ended up with an m2 over m4. Also look at the lease vs buy/finance between the two. Not a lot of younger people are going to choose to buy an m2 and have a monthly payment higher than what they could lease a new m4 for.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 03:33 PM   #137
contented
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT, 2022 Ford Bronco

Three months into the M2C and very close to 70. My first high performance vehicle with far more capability than my driving skills will support. So I enjoy driving it at my level. Couldn't be happier. This is my "keep it till I die" car. :-)
Appreciate 3
flybigjet6825.00
DanG10664.50
Mavallone164.50
      08-22-2020, 04:34 PM   #138
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:

look at the stats for the take rate of MT on m2 vs m4. for m2 in the USA isn't it like 50%+ for mt. For the m4 I forget but it's like 12% or something low. I think this should offer a clue on what demographic actually ended up with an m2 over m4. Also look at the lease vs buy/finance between the two. Not a lot of younger people are going to choose to buy an m2 and have a monthly payment higher than what they could lease a new m4 for.

The statistics on the manual sales are an anomaly.

Yes, I agree, that at any age bracket, enthusiasts will flock towards the M2 or M4, simply because it's the only of the few clutch-pedal based options available, in a two door, luxury segmented - under 100k.

That's a niche demographic deserves to be counted in a class of its own.

I was speaking in more general terms, where a majority of new owners opts an M car, even though gap between standard BMW and M models has closed considerably, in recent years, yet people will still spend a lot of more money, for the status and right of the M badge.

Once upon a time, the BMW roundel alone used to commender this same exact appeal but now the new standard of snobbery is: M badge or it's not a real BMW.

BMW knows this and so they capitalize on the public's perception by plastering a M on everything they sell. I bought me a GmbH M Performance tuned pill holder, a few days ago.

This perception also affects depreciation of the M models because image comes into it, and thus perceived desirability and retain a higher residue, hence, the in mind of consumers, it is perceived as the better, creating a perpetual cycle.

Point being, not counting those like myself that passionately analyze the advantage of M car over the standard model, most buyers are badge snobs, who's only interested in the model lines in what people actually care what other people think of them and not the dynamics and offering of the vehicle.

BMW's original take on the M2's marque:

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 05:09 PM   #139
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by contented View Post
Three months into the M2C and very close to 70. My first high performance vehicle with far more capability than my driving skills will support. So I enjoy driving it at my level. Couldn't be happier. This is my "keep it till I die" car. :-)
I'm not even 50 and the M2 is my "keep it till I die" car.
Appreciate 3
JggyM228.50
BSM2C16.50
contented193.50
      08-24-2020, 12:36 PM   #140
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by contented View Post
Given your location says southeast, look into the BMW Performance Center schools. If a BMW CCA member there are special 1 day half off sessions. You'll learn a ton and have great fun too. I've seen many ages there, all enjoying it to their level.
Appreciate 1
contented193.50
      08-24-2020, 01:02 PM   #141
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

you will like my license plate then

Last edited by goku7; 08-24-2020 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 2
redgs4320.00
Davil6524.50
      08-24-2020, 01:18 PM   #142
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku7 View Post
Is that stock exhaust tips?
      08-24-2020, 01:53 PM   #143
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
stock. the only mod I put money in is the electronic steering wheel
Appreciate 1
boss2k1090.00
      08-24-2020, 03:20 PM   #144
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
And most M5 owners (at least the ones I know) couldn't tell you much about their car, besides that its fast and cool. I think folks like us older guys driving M2s know a lot more about our cars, and bought them for a reason.
I stand corrected. I always say how I dont see many M2s around, but the other day I pulled into a winery (not in my M2) and see 2 OGs right next too each other. As the evening progressed I saw one of the owners come out and he was checking out the other M2 (he didnt know it was there). i walked up to him to chat and compliment is OG. When I asked what year its was, he said 2019. I knew it wasnt a comp based on the exhaust tips, the badge, and the kidneys. I knew it was an LCI 2018 because of the dash layout. Anywho, we chatted and off he went...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 06:17 PM   #145
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
I love that drive. I'm glad i got to do it twice in my M2 and once in my S2000 before all the fires started.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 09:04 PM   #146
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

Turn ing 65 and it's my daily. Only related facts: my spine cannot do manual and I do not like LBB. HS- full Dinan suspension, getting carbahn tune and Dinan exhaust soon.
Appreciate 2
DanG10664.50
boss2k1090.00
      08-28-2020, 09:12 PM   #147
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4598 View Post
Turn ing 65 and it's my daily. Only related facts: my spine cannot do manual and I do not like LBB. HS- full Dinan suspension, getting carbahn tune and Dinan exhaust soon.
Good for you. . You are never too old to have fun. And I agree with you. I am not a fan of LBB.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 09:20 PM   #148
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just turned 40 and I bought the M2C solely because it's the only new car that fits the following criteria:

1. Comes with a manual and RWD (absolute must-haves in my book)
2. Good weight distribution (can't ask for more than near 50/50)
3. Small (for today's standards, it really is)
4. Under $60k

There are only a handful of cars in the world that meet this criteria, but most of them are either underpowered (e.g. Miata) or have no prestige/class/looks of any sort. Just my opinion, of course.

M2C was a no-brainer.
Appreciate 2
BigKutta3906.50
      08-28-2020, 11:25 PM   #149
Up4speed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 Ferrari 458  [0.00]
2015 Golf GTI  [0.00]
I'm 52 and I've had several sports cars, luxury cars, and exotic cars (still do), and was looking for a daily driver. I typically always bought sports cars with manual transmissions. However, over the years of street driving, autocrossing events, and track driving (even instructing for 6 years), I can't argue that a DCT is just a better tool. There's no arguing that. Yes, the manual may be more engaging to drive, but it's simply not as good of a tool. I consider myself a HUGE enthusiast, and still went with the DCT.
And the way I chose the M2 has nothing to do with brand, image, label, or price, or anything like that. It simply had to do with the way that it felt when I drove it. I always had an eye on the M3's, and thought that it would be my next daily driver (I prefer 4 doors).
Well, I went to a track day at Monticello Motor Club, and drove the M2, M3, M4, M5, as well as the 8 series, and a few others. While the M2 wasn't the fastest that I drove that day, it just spoke to me and felt right. After driving it, I simply left there saying "I need this car". It just felt right. Well, the rest is history, and I have one on order and can't wait to get it!
In other words, you really can't judge why a guy buys a car. There are many reasons that people buy cars, especially special cars like the M2.
The funniest reason I ever bought a car was when I bought the VW GTI. I bought that car because I drove my brothers GTI, and the DSG farts when shifting gears made me laugh, so I bought one the next day! LMAO. I'm not kidding, that's literally the ONLY reason. I still have that car, but I think I'll make it a track car once the M2 comes in. Everyone says I should track my 458 (since that's what it's actually designed to do), but I refuse to because it's my dream toy, and I don't want anything to happen to it. What cars we choose to buy, and how we choose to use the cars that we buy is a decision that is completely individual to each person.

Last edited by Up4speed; 08-29-2020 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 4
BigKutta3906.50
blkonblk195.00
boss2k1090.00
CFO277.00
      08-30-2020, 01:11 AM   #150
blkonblk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up4speed View Post
I'm 52 and I've had several sports cars, luxury cars, and exotic cars (still do), and was looking for a daily driver. I typically always bought sports cars with manual transmissions. However, over the years of street driving, autocrossing events, and track driving (even instructing for 6 years), I can't argue that a DCT is just a better tool. There's no arguing that. Yes, the manual may be more engaging to drive, but it's simply not as good of a tool. I consider myself a HUGE enthusiast, and still went with the DCT.
And the way I chose the M2 has nothing to do with brand, image, label, or price, or anything like that. It simply had to do with the way that it felt when I drove it. I always had an eye on the M3's, and thought that it would be my next daily driver (I prefer 4 doors).
Well, I went to a track day at Monticello Motor Club, and drove the M2, M3, M4, M5, as well as the 8 series, and a few others. While the M2 wasn't the fastest that I drove that day, it just spoke to me and felt right. After driving it, I simply left there saying "I need this car". It just felt right. Well, the rest is history, and I have one on order and can't wait to get it!
In other words, you really can't judge why a guy buys a car. There are many reasons that people buy cars, especially special cars like the M2.
The funniest reason I ever bought a car was when I bought the VW GTI. I bought that car because I drove my brothers GTI, and the DSG farts when shifting gears made me laugh, so I bought one the next day! LMAO. I'm not kidding, that's literally the ONLY reason. I still have that car, but I think I'll make it a track car once the M2 comes in. Everyone says I should track my 458 (since that's what it's actually designed to do), but I refuse to because it's my dream toy, and I don't want anything to happen to it. What cars we choose to buy, and how we choose to use the cars that we buy is a decision that is completely individual to each person.
I couldn't have said it any better.
Appreciate 2
JggyM228.50
Up4speed171.50
      08-30-2020, 02:19 PM   #151
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

I am 71 and thank God in good health. After four years OG M2 now came the M2 CS.
Appreciate 8
DanG10664.50
CSBM52722.50
bri10425940.00
Mavallone164.50
boss2k1090.00
BigKutta3906.50
GerryM5249.50
Artemis29419.00
      08-30-2020, 06:53 PM   #152
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
stock. the only mod I put money in is the electronic steering wheel
I am looking at M performance steering wheel too, which one did you buy ?
      08-30-2020, 07:48 PM   #153
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Based on the feedback from this thread, it seems most owners of the M2C are much older than what was originally expected.

This actually makes a lot of sense. You buyers tend to gravitate towards more tech and prestige. The M2C is a true driver's car in BMW's lineup. There is not too many frills or luxurious compared to the past gen M4. Hope the responses here answered your question, OP. Go out there and get a M2!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 07:06 PM   #154
jjarrell
Rep
Drives: Soon!

59 here and the M2C feels great. I wouldn't daily drive it as it's a little rough around the edges. Compared to the Z4M that preceded it, it feels like it's riding on air, comparatively.

Since the Z4M, I've become much more attuned to how easy to get in and out of the car and how much space to I get for creature comforts. Supercar, with a bathtub entry, no, not for me. Z4M had the roughest ride one can imagine. Wracked my back up every time I drove it. And I generally have a good back.

I also went from a 328 to a 535. 328 is classic. 535 is a boat but a comfortable boat.
Appreciate 0