BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Anyone using MHD rather than BM3?

09-26-2022, 04:46 AM   #1
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Anyone using MHD rather than BM3?

Seems like MHD is popular among the M3/M4 and Supra Folks. Apps user interface is very good and your actual map is downloaded onto your device unlike BM3 it is stored on the cloud and many folks say it’s a generic map that is stored and not your vehicles OEM map.

Main reason the transition to MHD from BM3 is when you flash back to stock CALID and CVN numbers match your original maps numbers. These two numbers are used to determine tampering. BM3’s when you flash back to stock your numbers remain different and you will fail inspection and create a entire host of problems paying someone to update your DME and then it will be locked again creating more and more issues.

I’m on the old DME istep version that you can flash without doing a bench unlock.

That being said anyone using MHD on you M2c? Seems like it’s a upgrade to BM3.

Last edited by chmura; 09-26-2022 at 05:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 05:31 PM   #2
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

There's a YouTuber Thicwhips that used BM3 and then switched to a different tuner. I thought it might have been MHD. Could be worth checking out he's got multiple BMWs on his channel.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 03:48 PM   #3
tzetznet
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2018 LCI

I am running MHD only on my M2 N55 and I'm pretty happy with it, never compared with BM3, but to return to stock maps it works good as I still use the official service from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 07:16 PM   #4
M2C_OZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Mhd here
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 09:02 PM   #5
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

I run both and its no upgrade. I prefer BM3 for so many reasons.

For warranty and that ISTEP CVN stuff if you flash with relock with BM3 you get your actual stock file back on the car. When I was looking to buy a tune I actually did a ton of research on it and this was one of the things I looked into and BM3 doesn’t even met you activate if it doesn’t have a matching stock file. You get this message that says “Data Support”. So you only are able to even activate if they got your stock file match. When you relock your DME with the stock tune it flashes the car literally to that stock file and I verified with ISTA that CVN and CAL ID match. It even resets your flash counter to zero.

Warranty wise though BMW can use whatever they feel like to void warranties so whatever anyone says its always up in the air when it comes to what they say. Pay to play LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 11:00 AM   #6
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Seems like MHD is popular among the M3/M4 and Supra Folks. Apps user interface is very good and your actual map is downloaded onto your device unlike BM3 it is stored on the cloud and many folks say it’s a generic map that is stored and not your vehicles OEM map.

Main reason the transition to MHD from BM3 is when you flash back to stock CALID and CVN numbers match your original maps numbers. These two numbers are used to determine tampering. BM3’s when you flash back to stock your numbers remain different and you will fail inspection and create a entire host of problems paying someone to update your DME and then it will be locked again creating more and more issues.

I’m on the old DME istep version that you can flash without doing a bench unlock.

That being said anyone using MHD on you M2c? Seems like it’s a upgrade to BM3.
For what it's worth, both BM3 and MHD use "virtual reads" to get your data back (or as a copy of your flash), meaning, they're both factory flash data from the "cloud", based on the firmware you already had on. They don't read any actual flash data from the ecu.
MHD just does it a little differently than BM3.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 2
chris7197365.00
NathObeaN1309.00
      11-30-2022, 09:21 PM   #7
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
For what it's worth, both BM3 and MHD use "virtual reads" to get your data back (or as a copy of your flash), meaning, they're both factory flash data from the "cloud", based on the firmware you already had on. They don't read any actual flash data from the ecu.
MHD just does it a little differently than BM3.
confirmed