BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2C DCT jerking when cold

03-26-2022, 12:21 AM   #1
billypopo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i GC, glacier silver

M2C DCT jerking when cold

Hi,

I owned a 2017 M2 DCT for 4 years and recently changed for a 2021 M2C (bought it used).

I don't know if it's me but the DCT feels different when shifting from 1 to 2, especially when cold. As per below video, it seems like rpm are reving up quickly for about 500rpm just before the gear change, which results in a jerk motion similar to a shift, prior the actual shift.

Once warm, it's not as pronounced, and once in sport plus, not there anymore.

Are yours doing the same? Kind of annoying to get that for the first 5-10 mins every day.

Edit: seems like I can't upload videos, hopefully it's clear enough…
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 08:57 AM   #2
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

Mine is smooth all the time, that said it doesn't get very cold here in San Diego.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 10:19 AM   #3
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by billypopo View Post
Hi,

I owned a 2017 M2 DCT for 4 years and recently changed for a 2021 M2C (bought it used).

I don't know if it's me but the DCT feels different when shifting from 1 to 2, especially when cold. As per below video, it seems like rpm are reving up quickly for about 500rpm just before the gear change, which results in a jerk motion similar to a shift, prior the actual shift.

Once warm, it's not as pronounced, and once in sport plus, not there anymore.

Are yours doing the same? Kind of annoying to get that for the first 5-10 mins every day.

Edit: seems like I can't upload videos, hopefully it's clear enough…
I have had DCT in 3 BMWs (e92 M3, F87M2, F87M2C). I have never experienced this - even in winter.
      04-23-2022, 03:41 PM   #4
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80M3 - M2 comp ETA 14.10.2019

I have the cat heating switched off (so no startup roar followed by a ca 1min 1800-2000rpm) in a BM3 stage 2 map, and ever since the cold start rpm is rough, and driving away with a cold engine is very jerky, even the DCT seems to be jojo clutching. It is only the first 30secs or so, so easy to mitigate and not really an issue for me personally.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 09:24 PM   #5
methkingM2C
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C

Reset ECU? Unplug the battery for 15+ minutes…. Forget the interval. Just do 30 minutes.

If persists I'd get in contact with service ASAP. Get a good tech and advisor. Maybe they reflash the transmission or service it. If it persists might need replacing.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2023, 09:08 AM   #6
billypopo
Private First Class
Rep

Been a while but, got some short video showing what i’m talking about.

I’m wondering, do people with dct usually start driving from a stop by lightly tapping the gaz (crawl mode) and then drive away, or drive (constant pressure on gaz) right away?

dct jerk

dct jerk2
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 08:15 PM   #7
fandango202
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

19 M2C is the same. Jerky when cold outside and initial pull away is rough. I found that if I have a heavier foot, nothing crazy, when I drive away then it’s better. Goes away after the initial pull away. Seems to only happen when the car sits over night. I garage my car but it still gets to about 50F or below. Your video matches my car behave.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2023, 10:25 PM   #8
billypopo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandango202 View Post
19 M2C is the same. Jerky when cold outside and initial pull away is rough. I found that if I have a heavier foot, nothing crazy, when I drive away then it’s better. Goes away after the initial pull away. Seems to only happen when the car sits over night. I garage my car but it still gets to about 50F or below. Your video matches my car behave.
Thanks! that’s a little bit of a relief. Seems similar indeed, however mine behaves like this for the first 5-10 mins. Yours is on first pull away and that’s it?

My car is garage parked as well but, if I leave it ouside for whatever reason and it gets cold, it gets worse.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 10:45 PM   #9
fandango202
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypopo View Post
Thanks! that’s a little bit of a relief. Seems similar indeed, however mine behaves like this for the first 5-10 mins. Yours is on first pull away and that’s it?

My car is garage parked as well but, if I leave it ouside for whatever reason and it gets cold, it gets worse.
Hmm I mostly notice it upon first pull away since the roads near me have high speed limits. I’ll experiment next cold start.

I spoke to my mechanic today since I was in for a CBC install and mentioned this rough behavior. He said it might be a cold weather thing but can’t confirm until spring time. If it doesn’t go away in warm weather he thinks it might be spark plugs. However, I didn’t ask him to pull logs or anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 07:12 AM   #10
billypopo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandango202 View Post
Hmm I mostly notice it upon first pull away since the roads near me have high speed limits. I’ll experiment next cold start.

I spoke to my mechanic today since I was in for a CBC install and mentioned this rough behavior. He said it might be a cold weather thing but can’t confirm until spring time. If it doesn’t go away in warm weather he thinks it might be spark plugs. However, I didn’t ask him to pull logs or anything.
Spark plugs, interesting..I’m not sure I understand how bad spark plugs could do this.

Last time I was at the dealer I also mentioned it but, as always, they said they couldn’t replicate the behaviour and there were no fault codes.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 04:39 AM   #11
AFatMiata
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW OG M2

I've got a DCT in a 17 F87. My car is left outside and has been doing this consistently for the first startup of the day during winter. I usually immediately leave the driveway after turning the car on and am crawling down the street and it takes a little to shift from 1st to 2nd and I've just chalked it up as normal for the temps.

Car does have a M2 CS transmission flash on it so it could also be a factor.

Last edited by AFatMiata; 02-10-2023 at 04:40 AM.. Reason: Additional Context
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 06:45 AM   #12
billypopo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFatMiata View Post
I've got a DCT in a 17 F87. My car is left outside and has been doing this consistently for the first startup of the day during winter. I usually immediately leave the driveway after turning the car on and am crawling down the street and it takes a little to shift from 1st to 2nd and I've just chalked it up as normal for the temps.

Car does have a M2 CS transmission flash on it so it could also be a factor.
Thanks for the reply! Good to know, perhaps it’s normal then..mine does it for a little longer but for what it is I guess I can live with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 07:51 AM   #13
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C BSM, 6MT

This might be TMI but I jerk when it's cold, hot, or even when it's just right
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 06:50 PM   #14
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

My 18 M3C use to do this. I'd take it to the dealer, they'd "reset the clutches" and it would be fine for a few months, then it would start doing it again. They said it was "normal", and maybe it is for this transmission, but my wifes DSG GTI doesn't do any of that. In any case, that's one of the main reasons I sold it and ordered a M2C with a manual, where I know if there is a problem, its me.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2023, 04:00 AM   #15
KJC
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

My M2C is exactly the same especially in cold weather. The clutches seem to be slow to fully engage, much higher engine revs when moving off and can be a little jerky at times for the first few miles.
Appreciate 1