BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Power issues?

10-18-2021, 02:19 PM   #1
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 17 OG M2

Power issues?

Unmodded 2017 M2
was in austin yesterday and got on it hard in second gear a couple times. The car seemed to go, then slow, then go. It also sorta sounded like it was trying to draw air but not getting enough. definitely wasn't wide open despite it being pegged.

my thoughts-
1- rear tires were slipping (no squeal- but they are getting tired) and so it was cutting power. But it didn't feel like that, that comes on fast, this was different i think
2- intake obstruction...no reason to think this is case but i haven't checked air filter lately and that's what it felt and sounded like
3- some sort of mapping issue??
4- full on engine issue.

no codes were thrown and it happened 2-3 times. Anyone experience this before i schedule a dealership visit?

FYI weather was ideal.

Thanks!
      10-18-2021, 04:00 PM   #2
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Turn off traction control and try again. Not sure what else it might be?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 05:33 PM   #3
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Are the rear tires absolutely done?
      10-20-2021, 09:55 AM   #4
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3, '18 M2, '22 X3M

Oddly enough I'm in Austin as well and noticed over the weekend some surging while just going along a straight, flat road. Seems like exactly what you describe, but this was just going 45mph steady. When I said something about it, my wife mentioned it had been doing that to her lately as well - it's her daily.

Mine goes in for its final service under the maintenance plan in a few weeks - I plan to ask them about it but it's not easily reproducible.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 07:59 AM   #5
vara411
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I would check your charge pipe for cracks... it's a known issue on this plastic part and often replaced pre-emptively. Mine just cracked and I'm feeling exactly what you're talking about (surges). If you can't see anything from under the hood, listen for any odd whistling of air as it escapes any defects in the pipe during acceleration.
Appreciate 2
      10-26-2021, 01:30 PM   #6
MBP1865
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vara411 View Post
I would check your charge pipe for cracks... it's a known issue on this plastic part and often replaced pre-emptively. Mine just cracked and I'm feeling exactly what you're talking about (surges). If you can't see anything from under the hood, listen for any odd whistling of air as it escapes any defects in the pipe during acceleration.
I was going to suggest this as well. I destroyed my stock charge pipe a couple weeks ago and tossed an aluminum one in there.
      10-27-2021, 12:19 PM   #7
bluescoupe
motorhead
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Yes, this ^^
better to find out before it leaves entirely. Order a nice metal one now.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 02:48 PM   #8
pablom2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

I've felt that on my 2020 M2C going fast on straight but uneven roads and the car feels like it flys over imperfections and it feels like like it cuts power slightly and then it comes back like a surge. I think it might be the traction control working a little, even though I don't get a traction control light on the dash? It always seems to do it on the same road, and on a flat track I've never felt this.
      11-01-2021, 02:51 AM   #9
robbieboi70
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Yeah it might be that your stock CP cracked. Just get an upgraded charge pipe and should be fine.

I've got the Masata ones from the guys at Complex seven, really good quality, price isn't too bad either. If budget isn't an issue, you could also consider Evolution Racewerks too
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 10:04 PM   #10
vara411
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieboi70 View Post
Yeah it might be that your stock CP cracked. Just get an upgraded charge pipe and should be fine.

I've got the Masata ones from the guys at Complex seven, really good quality, price isn't too bad either. If budget isn't an issue, you could also consider Evolution Racewerks too
I had my charge pipe changed under warranty so didn't buy the upgraded one yet... but plan to! May I ask what makes the more expensive aftermarket CP's worth it? Extra power? Better sound? There's so many options and I'm willing to part with some of my hard-earned dough if it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 11:26 PM   #11
AdventureNoodle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieboi70 View Post

I had my charge pipe changed under warranty so didn't buy the upgraded one yet... but plan to! May I ask what makes the more expensive aftermarket CP's worth it? Extra power? Better sound? There's so many options and I'm willing to part with some of my hard-earned dough if it's worth it.
Huge durability upgrade. The stock one is plastic and will break. The aftermarket ones are metal and can basically handle any amount of power you decide to throw at the thing
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 09:09 PM   #12
SheWentToJared
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureNoodle View Post
Huge durability upgrade. The stock one is plastic and will break. The aftermarket ones are metal and can basically handle any amount of power you decide to throw at the thing
should I even bother getting mine done before warranty is up or just throw an aftermarket one on now. seems like a waste of time, will the upgraded factory pipe just break again?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 10:00 PM   #13
AdventureNoodle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheWentToJared View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureNoodle View Post
should I even bother getting mine done before warranty is up or just throw an aftermarket one on now. seems like a waste of time, will the upgraded factory pipe just break again?
If you need it fixed right now then just get warranty done on it. But if you are paying for it out of pocket, absolutely go for the aluminum one. You will be replacing it when you go tuned anyways.
Appreciate 0