10-09-2021, 05:56 AM   #1
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

2 different packages for winter 641m

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I am seeing 2 difference winter packages on the shopbmwUSA.

One has continental tires for about $3000 and another has michelins for about $600 more. Tire sizes seem to be the same, rim size is obviously the same. However if I choose the M2 comp the cheaper package says that it does not fit, only the one with the Alpin PA4s says that works with the comp. Anything I should know about this or am I correct to think both would work just fine?

Also they only have the black set, is the silver set discontinued?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 06:50 AM   #2
TBURKE555
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

They both should work just fine. Check the M3/M4 winter set up and the 641's should be silver. A guy on the M3 site has a set of 641's but he is in Pittsburgh
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 07:05 AM   #3
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBURKE555 View Post
They both should work just fine. Check the M3/M4 winter set up and the 641's should be silver. A guy on the M3 site has a set of 641's but he is in Pittsburgh
I messaged him but they are pending already

There is also another guy that has a set in NJ but I messaged him yesterday and he has not replied yet.

Also, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 07:28 AM   #4
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3awak3n View Post

There is also another guy that has a set in NJ but I messaged him yesterday and he has not replied yet.

Also, thank you!
There are 2 winter wheel options for the M2/3/4 and both have the same wheel design.

There is the 640M in 18" silver only with conti or michi tires. (Wont fit US spec M2C)

There is also the 641M in 19" silver or black with conti or michi tires.

Hope that helps.

BTW nothing is stopping you from buying aftermarket wheels in the same/similar size and fitting winter tires to thoose... The reason BMW offers smaller winter wheels (width) is so you can fit snow chains if needed, which are a legal requirement in some parts of the EU (mountain passes in winter).
      10-09-2021, 07:54 AM   #5
phriz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

I ordered a set of 641m's with the Michelin Alpin tires this week through ShopBMW, and quickly got an email from my local dealer (apparently the order goes through them) saying the order had been cancelled because BMW had changed the winter wheel/tire combo this year, but had yet to update the website. He said this year's winter 641Ms come as a staggered setup with Pirelli Sottozero 3s. A good bit cheaper than the square setup with the Michelin Alpin tires too-- it ended up being about $3600 after tax. So I placed the order through the dealer and they should be here early next week.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 09:13 AM   #6
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Quote:

Also, thank you!
There are 2 winter wheel options for the M2/3/4 and both have the same wheel design.

There is the 640M in 18" silver only with conti or michi tires. (Wont fit US spec M2C)

Hope that helps.

BTW nothing is stopping you from buying aftermarket wheels in the same/similar size and fitting winter tires to thoose... The reason BMW offers smaller winter wheels (width) is so you can fit snow chains if needed, which are a legal requirement in some parts of the EU (mountain passes in winter).
Yep, on your point of aftermarket, I went budget for my winter wheels since I splurged for 763Ms for my summer set up and didn't want to ruin the stock 437Ms sliding around in the winter.

Bought a square set of 18 inch Sparco DRS off tire rack for about $900. They look nice, but are by no means high quality….but now I don't have to stress about sliding into curbs and scuffing up rims that cost 3x or more.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 06:34 PM   #7
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Just picked these up. 641M black. Staggered wheels but 235 Alpin all around. This is the standard offering in Canada for around $4200. Very stretched.
Attached Images

10-11-2021, 06:58 AM   #8
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post

Hope that helps.

I need 19 because comp and prefer silver because black car.

I thought about aftermarket, I have apex wheels now and they are fantastic but after all said and done they will be about the same price as the bmw winters and I will have to haul the stuff to the shop. I also actually really like the 641s, as a winter wheel looks very easy to clean and not a lot places for snow to get in and unbalance the wheel (not going to be driving much in snow but it could happen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phriz View Post
I ordered a set of 641m's with the Michelin Alpin tires this week through ShopBMW, and quickly got an email from my local dealer (apparently the order goes through them) saying the order had been cancelled because BMW had changed the winter wheel/tire combo this year, but had yet to update the website. He said this year's winter 641Ms come as a staggered setup with Pirelli Sottozero 3s. A good bit cheaper than the square setup with the Michelin Alpin tires too-- it ended up being about $3600 after tax. So I placed the order through the dealer and they should be here early next week.

This is good to know. I found some on the m3 classifieds but if it falls through I will probably go the dealer route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy's Dodge View Post
Yep, on your point of aftermarket, I went budget for my winter wheels since I splurged for 763Ms for my summer set up and didn't want to ruin the stock 437Ms sliding around in the winter.

Bought a square set of 18 inch Sparco DRS off tire rack for about $900. They look nice, but are by no means high quality….but now I don't have to stress about sliding into curbs and scuffing up rims that cost 3x or more.
Car is a comp so no real cheap options. Before this I had a vw and did what you did, cheap winter set of tire rack and it was a great wheelset for the 3 seasons I had the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Just picked these up. 641M black. Staggered wheels but 235 Alpin all around. This is the standard offering in Canada for around $4200. Very stretched.
Nice.The set I am getting will have the contis but same tire size. I wonder how they fit the car compared to stock. Certainly won't look as nice and flushed as my apex ec7
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 10:12 AM   #9
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

For those of you who are actually planning some real driving in winter, Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires are worth checking out. I've run studded on my 228 the past 2 winters and they are truly phenomenal. The studs have a suspension-mount so they retract a little on dry pavement, leaving you with traction similar to any winter tire, but on ice they are something else. And a more aggressive tread pattern that seems to do better in the heavy snow - you can get them unstudded if you prefer. These are not for the 'occasional half inch' areas, but here in Upstate NY they have been great. You do need to get used to the noise, but it is a performance noise, so I can live with it. The M2 will be safely tucked away for salt season.
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21812.00
      10-11-2021, 11:50 AM   #10
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Nice.The set I am getting will have the contis but same tire size. I wonder how they fit the car compared to stock. Certainly won't look as nice and flushed as my apex ec7
Nope won't be as flush but traction should be good and less debris up the side.
      10-11-2021, 03:48 PM   #11
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
I believe this review was done with a M2 Comp on the canadian winter tire/wheel setup. Hope it is helpful.

Appreciate 1
MooMooM21812.00
      10-11-2021, 08:06 PM   #12
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

/\ I had seen that before but not for the winter setup so I will watch it again, thank you!
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50