BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M2 Competition: BC BR Racing Coilover Review & Installation

09-27-2021, 11:39 PM   #1
not.ramos
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2C

M2 Competition: BC BR Racing Coilover Review & Installation

Back in early August, I made the decision to purchase a set of BC BR Racing Coilovers with the Swift Spring Upgrade (12k Front/16k Rear). About a month and a half later, they finally arrived! (Thank you Original for being my preferred dealer!)

Why: For any "regular" coilover (adjustable height with dampening), I believe BC BR's are the best bang-for-the-buck considering it comes with camber plates, ability to custom-build your set, and dampening. After having owning/daily-driving sets of KW V1 mated to Ground Control camber plates, AirLift 3P, and H&R Super Sports - I've realized that for a majority of the time if you just need the basics BC's will do everything you need to do well. KW's are great, but do not allow for full adjustability (or perhaps not enough for me), plus I did not want to have to go out of my way to purchase camber plates. Furthermore, I daily-drive my M2C and occasionally track it so I needed something that can be efficient.

First Impressions: Again, to preface I have owned KW and AirLift and have also been fortunate enough to install Ohlins and Bilstein on other friends cars. At first glance, they are well made but not to the standard of KW. I'd say it is an ~8.5/10 for build quality, it is good but not great. Some small plastic bits and what not but overall good.

Installation: Honestly, it took me a cumulative of 5.5 hours by myself. I'd say this is a 6/10 difficulty installing. Some things to note that I found useful to pass on, the rear section of the exhaust is recommended to be removed if you would like to use an impact on the rear spring perch arm bolt (although you can get away with it by using a really long extension or just using some sort of wrench to remove it). Also, you don't need to fully remove the aluminum brace either - simply take off the side bolts and loosen the two bolts by the windshield.

P.S. - For ideal height, on these BC's, drop the front 2" from the preset and the rear fully max out the height adjuster AND the shock, that should roughly put you at a good starting point before having to readjust the coils when they settle.

Review: For the money, not a bad choice for coilovers. If you go with a 10k/12k spring rate like how they normally stock their BR coils with, it’ll feel about the same as stock. I did 12k/16k Swift springs - it feels just marginally stiffer than stock (~10% stiffer than OEM). I’d take this any day over KW’s if you consider what you receive vs what you pay. However, KW Clubsports take the win if you consider the best-of-the-best. But that’s a different topic. For anyone looking for street/occasional track use, I’d buy these… That being said, the quality is good but not top-notch. So if you have a deep pocket, look elsewhere if you have those means available. As far as lowering ability goes, maxxing out the rear springs will tuck tread, but not tuck tire. As for the fronts, there is plenty of adjustment. Consider this an initial impressions after installing. I’ll report back and update this thread when everything is settled and dialed-in.

Out of the box, this is what you should expect (I will upload higher-quality pictures tomorrow when lighting is more appropriate). I will post a basic guide and any references that others may find useful if they choose to install on their own.
Attached Images

ULTRA MOTORSPORTS

Last edited by not.ramos; 10-01-2021 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 12:35 AM   #2
Original
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Can't wait to see them installed on the M2c

F82 M4 Individual | DCT | AG A-05 | STD GR3 IND | Motorsport Hardware | VRSF
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 04:39 PM   #3
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Is there is a specific reason you went for 12k Front & 16k Rear springs?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 05:26 PM   #4
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post
Is there is a specific reason you went for 12k Front & 16k Rear springs?
Must be, they're Swift, not BC. BC, in my experience, is way too damn high on their spring rates, like super racing stiff.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 06:59 PM   #5
Matt Devo
Recovering RS4 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Must be, they're Swift, not BC. BC, in my experience, is way too damn high on their spring rates, like super racing stiff.
BC offers Swift as an option, hence the matching coloring
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 05:14 PM   #6
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
What I am really asking is why these spring rates, "swift" part aside, not saying anything wrong with these, just wondering what's behind this choice, BC recommendation or some other considerations.

PS: would love to see an update on how this setup works out.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 12:23 AM   #7
not.ramos
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post
What I am really asking is why these spring rates, "swift" part aside, not saying anything wrong with these, just wondering what's behind this choice, BC recommendation or some other considerations.

PS: would love to see an update on how this setup works out.
BC has their OEM spring rates as 10/12k

I would prefer to have a different rate and have the rears stiffer to counteract any detrimental fluctuations during cornering.

Swift Springs are just an added option they offer, they re-valve the shocks to match the spring rates.

I just finished installing about an hour ago - I'll report back tomorrow on initial insight, then I'll do another one once everything settles and I re-adjust the height and dampening.

ULTRA MOTORSPORTS
Appreciate 1
eldogo275.00
      03-08-2022, 03:26 PM   #8
ggghosty_
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Sorry for bringing this one back a bit - did you end up using the stock top hats on the BC's in the rear? I may end up buying new ones to pop on to these because I know how annoying it is to remove the stock top hats off the stock rear struts.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 06:52 PM   #9
not.ramos
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggghosty_ View Post
Sorry for bringing this one back a bit - did you end up using the stock top hats on the BC's in the rear? I may end up buying new ones to pop on to these because I know how annoying it is to remove the stock top hats off the stock rear struts.
Stock rear top hats were used. The rears are actually the easiest.. Should not take more than a minute each side. Just use a vice-grip to hold the center portion and use an impact on top and you will be fine.

Reminds me that I need to make the video lol.

ULTRA MOTORSPORTS
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2022, 06:19 PM   #10
ggghosty_
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by not.ramos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggghosty_ View Post
Stock rear top hats were used. The rears are actually the easiest.. Should not take more than a minute each side. Just use a vice-grip to hold the center portion and use an impact on top and you will be fine.

Reminds me that I need to make the video lol.
Please do! That would be incredibly helpful lol. Still haven't seen a good way on how to do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 08:55 AM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats and thank you for sharing your feedback

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 09:54 AM   #12
RobbieR
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Awesome review mate.

I was looking at the BC's myself, but the BC DS version?

How did you find the ride height changes? No wheel / tyre scrub ?
Appreciate 0