07-25-2022, 09:15 PM   #1
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
been thinking about the Supra lately and honestly started to fall more in love with how it looks. however, when comparing it to the N55 M2, many have told me it would be considered a downgrade for me. currently I have a 660whp OG M2 which is definitely more special than your typical stock M2, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about building another car since I'm pretty satisfied with what I have. when comparing the two cars, I feel like the M2's N55 sound, handling, and transmission wins but the Supra's looks and power potential wins. I'm curious to hear what everyone else's opinions are when comparing the two !
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 05:18 AM   #2
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

I very much enjoyed my A90 and only got rid of it because I had an oil burner (a quart every 750 miles). It's a more visceral experience, but it comes with the price of a cabin that's a bit harder to see out of. But yes, lots of room to grow power wise. I'm happier in my M2C, but that's mostly because it has a bit more practicality.

People will ask about your Supra and comment on it positively on a daily basis. It's an attention getter.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
chris7197334.00
shaneguags1188.00
///M TOWN16300.00
      07-27-2022, 10:03 AM   #3
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Really well for an Asian.

I like the supra, but personally wouldn't be able to live with a 2 seater. I've seen some very modded ones on the road and they look great. Sound even better. The manual version comes out with the 2023 model which makes it more enticing.
Appreciate 1
shaneguags1188.00
      07-27-2022, 03:16 PM   #4
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneguags View Post
been thinking about the Supra lately and honestly started to fall more in love with how it looks. however, when comparing it to the N55 M2, many have told me it would be considered a downgrade for me. currently I have a 660whp OG M2 which is definitely more special than your typical stock M2, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about building another car since I'm pretty satisfied with what I have. when comparing the two cars, I feel like the M2's N55 sound, handling, and transmission wins but the Supra's looks and power potential wins. I'm curious to hear what everyone else's opinions are when comparing the two !
Keep your lovely Original Gangster!
      07-27-2022, 03:32 PM   #5
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Keep your lovely Original Gangster ‼️
that's what I been thinking ! I just think I need to add more love to it. I'd reckon some winglets and aftermarket headlights would change the feel for me
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16300.00
      07-27-2022, 03:34 PM   #6
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard print View Post
I like the supra, but personally wouldn't be able to live with a 2 seater. I've seen some very modded ones on the road and they look great. Sound even better. The manual version comes out with the 2023 model which makes it more enticing.
for me, I don't care for the manual since I daily drive. I do wonder if the manual will cause the ZF8s to drop though, I'd assume a little. as for rear seats, I don't necessarily need them
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2022, 05:26 PM   #7
hihowareyougood
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 LCI

When I was hunting for a fun car earlier this year, the 6mt Supra was my first choice, but the indefinite wait time was a buzz kill. The one local dealer that didn't do mark-ups had a full wait list already and wasn't accepting any new entries, so I moved on and found myself in an OG LCI M2. While the Supra looks great, is ridiculously quick, and has amazing potential, I have absolutely no regrets with going for the F87.
spree44.50
///M TOWN16300.00
      07-27-2022, 07:02 PM   #8
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hihowareyougood View Post
When I was hunting for a fun car earlier this year, the 6mt Supra was my first choice, but the indefinite wait time was a buzz kill. The one local dealer that didn't do mark-ups had a full wait list already and wasn't accepting any new entries, so I moved on and found myself in an OG LCI M2. While the Supra looks great, is ridiculously quick, and has amazing potential, I have absolutely no regrets with going for the F87.
yea I have a feeling I'll regret getting the M2 for a Supra. I feel like I should just wait and maybe save up for something better like the M2C or an F80 M3
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16300.00
      07-27-2022, 09:18 PM   #9
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's amazing how things change. I bought my Supra in Dec of 21 and it had been sitting at the dealership new for months. I got two dealerships fighting for my business and got it for just under $49k. A new premium Supra that stickered for $56k.

To be honest, the only reason I got the M2C was because I got so much for the Supra when I turned it in. And I only turned it in because it was one of the oil eaters. I suspect I will never have a car that grabbed that much attention.

As I said above, I'm actually happier with the M2C, but if you can live with to seats and the constrained view, it's great. I'd say more fun than the C7 Z51.

Edge to the DCT over the ZF8, albeit ZF8 is good. Oh and I did add a childishly large subwoofer, anathema to any "serious car dude."
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      07-27-2022, 11:22 PM   #10
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
Quote:
It's amazing how things change. I bought my Supra in Dec of 21 and it had been sitting at the dealership new for months. I got two dealerships fighting for my business and got it for just under $49k. A new premium Supra that stickered for $56k.

To be honest, the only reason I got the M2C was because I got so much for the Supra when I turned it in. And I only turned it in because it was one of the oil eaters. I suspect I will never have a car that grabbed that much attention.

As I said above, I'm actually happier with the M2C, but if you can live with to seats and the constrained view, it's great. I'd say more fun than the C7 Z51.

Edge to the DCT over the ZF8, albeit ZF8 is good. Oh and I did add a childishly large subwoofer, anathema to any "serious car dude."
I'm kinda just exploring new car options and figuring out if I wanna make a switch. but the Supra prices like you said shot up recently which sucks. I missed out when modded ones were low 50s. it is definitely on the list of cars I'm interested in. how's the ZF8 compared to the DCT ? worse ?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 05:54 AM   #11
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm kinda just exploring new car options and figuring out if I wanna make a switch. but the Supra prices like you said shot up recently which sucks. I missed out when modded ones were low 50s. it is definitely on the list of cars I'm interested in. how's the ZF8 compared to the DCT ? worse ?
The ZF8 is a great torque converter transmission and if you've never experienced a DCT you'll think it's incredible. If you have, it's about 7/10ths as good, which for me amounted to "meh."
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16300.00
      07-28-2022, 11:23 PM   #12
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The ZF8 is a great torque converter transmission and if you've never experienced a DCT you'll think it's incredible. If you have, it's about 7/10ths as good, which for me amounted to "meh."
I didn't really get the test out the ZF8 too much since I was old enough to legally test drive but the guy let me do slight pulls in a parking lot. they did feel way faster with shifting. I don't really mind the DCT though. I don't think it's as good for dailying though.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 05:12 AM   #13
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I thought that the ZF8 was a game changer and it is a very nice transmission, but it's not a DCT. What I failed to realize was that its really the torque converter that makes the biggest difference. The DCT, not having a torque converter, really gives much more of a connected feeling that people talk about when they describe why they like a manual.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a great tranny and I wouldn't not get a Supra again because of it, but I am happier with the DCT, mild clunkiness and all.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16300.00
      08-02-2022, 07:49 PM   #14
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
yea I have a feeling I'll regret getting the M2 for a Supra. I feel like I should just wait and maybe save up for something better like the M2C or an F80 M3
you actually have more fun driving the OG than the M2C...
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16300.00
      08-02-2022, 08:23 PM   #15
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Quote:
you actually have more fun driving the OG than the M2C...
how so ? I was told they are two totally different cars and that the M2C way better minus the sound it makes
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 12:13 PM   #16
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
how so ? I was told they are two totally different cars and that the M2C way better minus the sound it makes
The "you will have more fun driving..." is a subjective statement. Generally given by people who own the "more fun" car.
If looking objectively, you are 100% correct, the M2C is a different car that is a substantial upgrade in every category.

A 660whp OG M2 must be a freaking blast though. You mentioned in your original post that you're happy with the car, I would keep it then. You're going to be spending a lot of money starting over with a car with a boring automatic transmission. You could wait for the 23 with the manual though, that's probably what I would do if i were dead set on a Supra.
chris7197334.00
      08-03-2022, 01:51 PM   #17
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Quote:
The "you will have more fun driving..." is a subjective statement. Generally given by people who own the "more fun" car.
If looking objectively, you are 100% correct, the M2C is a different car that is a substantial upgrade in every category.

A 660whp OG M2 must be a freaking blast though. You mentioned in your original post that you're happy with the car, I would keep it then. You're going to be spending a lot of money starting over with a car with a boring automatic transmission. You could wait for the 23 with the manual though, that's probably what I would do if i were dead set on a Supra.
yea true, I never got to learn manual not gonna lie. I've had three cars in my life and all were automatic. also, I feel like driving manual as a daily might annoy me. I would probably only consider a manual as a "weekend toy". I probably will switch to a Supra eventually but I think I'll wait a bit. the thing I like about the supra is that it can make easy reliable power without having to spend crazy amounts on mods. however, it can add up really fast…
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 03:17 PM   #18
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

look 95% of your driving is gonna be on local roads, (unless you are looking for dedicated track car)

I've had f80/f82 , m2c drive by me and you cant even tell those cars are there unless you are looking at them!
there is literally no street presence unless you are wringing it out to 5k all the time

all you need is a basic tune, and a good exhaust and the fun is unparalleled

why would I want to have a car looks good on spec sheet, and the only time I will be truly enjoying it is breaking the speed limit on the road or on the hwy?? and risking getting speeding ticket?

the OG will accelerate faster from stoplight, I can give little pushes on the accelerator and listen to the cool engine and turbo noises and have a good laugh with my passengers, without breaking the speed limit.

all these things amount to a more fun and jokes streetcar,

it literally will make you feel like you are a 19 yr old again. wont get that with the more 'refined' m2c, m2cs

true those car have nice aesthetic bonuses, but nothing is perfect, the OG is prob the most fun car that M has offered in last 5 years no cap
Appreciate 2
shaneguags1188.00
///M TOWN16300.00
      08-03-2022, 04:37 PM   #19
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
look 95% of your driving is gonna be on local roads, (unless you are looking for dedicated track car)

I've had f80/f82 , m2c drive by me and you cant even tell those cars are there unless you are looking at them!
there is literally no street presence unless you are wringing it out to 5k all the time

all you need is a basic tune, and a good exhaust and the fun is unparalleled

why would I want to have a car looks good on spec sheet, and the only time I will be truly enjoying it is breaking the speed limit on the road or on the hwy?? and risking getting speeding ticket?

the OG will accelerate faster from stoplight, I can give little pushes on the accelerator and listen to the cool engine and turbo noises and have a good laugh with my passengers, without breaking the speed limit.

all these things amount to a more fun and jokes streetcar,

it literally will make you feel like you are a 19 yr old again. wont get that with the more 'refined' m2c, m2cs

true those car have nice aesthetic bonuses, but nothing is perfect, the OG is prob the most fun car that M has offered in last 5 years no cap
that's funny you bring up being 19 again. I'm literally 20 right now as we speak and I do 100% agree with you that it's a blast driving. I never get sick of sitting in the M2. it is my morning coffee when getting ready for school haha. thinking about what you said, I think it's best I still with the enjoyment of the M2 for a bit longer. I been owning the car for just over a year but barely have put milage on it due to nonstop modifications and maintenance. I haven't truly got to enjoy the car to be honest and have been waiting nearly 3 months to get the PI tune dialed in. the wait has been killing me
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 05:17 PM   #20
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
yea true, I never got to learn manual not gonna lie. I've had three cars in my life and all were automatic. also, I feel like driving manual as a daily might annoy me. I would probably only consider a manual as a "weekend toy". I probably will switch to a Supra eventually but I think I'll wait a bit. the thing I like about the supra is that it can make easy reliable power without having to spend crazy amounts on mods. however, it can add up really fast…
I guarantee you, driving a manual is not annoying and shouldn't be relegated for weekend duty only. I find driving my wife's DCT equipped car to be annoying to be honest. You're actually going to find excuses to drive the car because its enjoyable. Rent a cheap Miata for the weekend, you'll be converted.
      08-03-2022, 05:34 PM   #21
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Quote:
I guarantee you, driving a manual is not annoying and shouldn't be relegated for weekend duty only. I find driving my wife's DCT equipped car to be annoying to be honest. You're actually going to find excuses to drive the car because its enjoyable. Rent a cheap Miata for the weekend, you'll be converted.
never thought about renting a manual, that's good idea to start learning. I do only drive in paddles because I find it more fun so I'm pretty convinced I'd like manual.
Appreciate 1
Bumpinjeep5508.50
      08-03-2022, 06:20 PM   #22
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
that's funny you bring up being 19 again. I'm literally 20 right now as we speak and I do 100% agree with you that it's a blast driving. I never get sick of sitting in the M2. it is my morning coffee when getting ready for school haha. thinking about what you said, I think it's best I still with the enjoyment of the M2 for a bit longer. I been owning the car for just over a year but barely have put milage on it due to nonstop modifications and maintenance. I haven't truly got to enjoy the car to be honest and have been waiting nearly 3 months to get the PI tune dialed in. the wait has been killing me
as far as life and cars go, it's only gonna go downhill from here
Appreciate 1
shaneguags1188.00