BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Front Toe Limitation?

09-13-2021, 11:06 AM   #1
echoshotz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Front Toe Limitation?

Hey everyone, I'm trying to decide if my shop was clueless, or if I have an issue to chase.

I lowered the M2C (I've had it since new, so I know there's no bent components from impact) on TCKline coils, and his camber plates as well. I do plan to call him as well to go over it, but would also like to hear from others. I went in for an alignment (and my camber was at like, -4 degrees pre alignment) and during the process, they said they couldn't move my camber any further towards my requested spec (-2.5) because it wouldnt allow the toe to come into spec (0). As in, camber going from -4 to -2.5 would have to run an undesirable toe setting. So I had them set the camber to the least aggressive setting that could maintain 0 toe, which ended up being -3.5.

My question is, is that possible/has anyone else run into the issue? Or did they just not have a clue what they were doing? It is a generally well respected shop here in eastern TN, but I'd expect the M2's stock components to be able to pull the toe to 0. The car isnt THAT low either. I'm adjusting ride height in the next few days and therefore getting another alignment, and would like to correct it all this time.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 11:15 AM   #2
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Just an FYI. I run TCKline plates and have around -2.75 camber with zero toe. Sounds like you may be shopping for another alignment shop
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 12:55 PM   #3
echoshotz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Just an FYI. I run TCKline plates and have around -2.75 camber with zero toe. Sounds like you may be shopping for another alignment shop
Yeah, I think so as well
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 01:48 PM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

How low is is?
Is this a track setup? Why was it at -4.0 camber? .....that's a a lot for street.

Lowering changes the angle of the lower control arm which also affects the length of available toe adjustment.
I have seen this on other non-BMW cars.
LCA angle change is also why bump steer correction is needed.

If it's a mild drop, toe adjustment shouldn't be a problem.
Especially when the camber is done at the top of strut.

When camber is modified with adjustable LCAs, this can definitely reduce available toe adjustment. (pushes bottom of strut out)
Appreciate 0