05-11-2016, 12:48 AM   #111
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
However..

For the absolute driving enthusiast... the person who wouldnt even THINK about getting a DCT... the 1M is absolutely the holy grail between the two.
As someone who has only ever owned manual transmission cars, and someone who has extensively tracked and raced only manual transmission cars, comments like these are just plain stupid and ignorant.

If my fellow drivers run DCT, SMG, or even plain old slushbox autos, I don't consider them, nor does it make them, any less of a car or "driving enthusiast" than I am.
Appreciate 2
      05-11-2016, 02:28 AM   #112
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
As someone who has only ever owned manual transmission cars, and someone who has extensively tracked and raced only manual transmission cars, comments like these are just plain stupid and ignorant.

If my fellow drivers run DCT, SMG, or even plain old slushbox autos, I don't consider them, nor does it make them, any less of a car or "driving enthusiast" than I am.
yep I hate to say it, I 'm with M3 Adjuster most of the time, but this is nonsense.

Look at the GT3RS, and 458(Speciale)/488/F12...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 05:20 AM   #113
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
manual
You might have given that miata a shake if it was DCT

Do you have a M2 on order ?
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 05:23 AM   #114
ilovewagons
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i F31 M-Sport EB to MG F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post

Thank you. Honestly, sometimes manual 'purists' are like freaking vegans. Just pick the car you like a drive it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 07:41 AM   #115
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper
Quote:
However..

For the absolute driving enthusiast... the person who wouldnt even THINK about getting a DCT... the 1M is absolutely the holy grail between the two.

Me either ;-)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 08:20 AM   #116
longbeachbluem2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '76 2002 / '17 F87 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
1976 BMW 2002  [0.00]
2004 Audi Allroad  [0.00]
Quote:
OMG so there are two different apps?
I just went and looked in the iOS store.

There is an M laptimer app that requires the vehicle to have BMW APPS. It appears to calculate lap times and record data but NO video and indeed the phone is connected via USB . I dont see that it works with a GoPro.

The M Performance Drive analyzer app works with the OBD stick ( Bluetooth dongle ) and sends info direct to your phone and uses the phone to record video. That's the item I used and just purchased.

Ok, wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy haha. I guess the GoPro integration will be an update later this summer. Continue to post your impressions of and videos from the performance analyzer. I would be interested to see what other M2 owners think as well of the laptimer app, but that's probably for a different thread. Thanks again for the awesome report!

http://autoweek.com/article/technolo...recording-laps
      05-11-2016, 03:52 PM   #117
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Nice write up comparing the two together. It's interesting to read the differences between them. I think what this shows is that the engineers had more time to play with the M2 in development and make it "softer" around the edges for more people. The 1M was very narrowly focused and went after a specific market group, track addicts, etc.. The M2 is going to be made available to more people so it makes sense they would broaden its scope to compensate for that. It's also more likely to be daily driven.

Honestly the biggest disappointment for me is the indicated lack of torque surge that you get in the M2. That was one of my favorite things about the 1M. I know the steering won't be as good but that at least was expected. Now I'm patiently waiting for the LCI's to come out?

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 2
      05-11-2016, 09:08 PM   #118
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdg76
Quote:
OMG so there are two different apps?
I just went and looked in the iOS store.

There is an M laptimer app that requires the vehicle to have BMW APPS. It appears to calculate lap times and record data but NO video and indeed the phone is connected via USB . I dont see that it works with a GoPro.

The M Performance Drive analyzer app works with the OBD stick ( Bluetooth dongle ) and sends info direct to your phone and uses the phone to record video. That's the item I used and just purchased.

Ok, wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy haha. I guess the GoPro integration will be an update later this summer. Continue to post your impressions of and videos from the performance analyzer. I would be interested to see what other M2 owners think as well of the laptimer app, but that's probably for a different thread. Thanks again for the awesome report!

http://autoweek.com/article/technolo...recording-laps
Nice Find!

I just got my own M performance analyzer and will use it to document my autocross runs this weekend.

While the GoPro integration with the BMW M lap timer is cool that it starts both items and the M lap timer records track data, it appears that both these items do their jobs separately while at the same time.

The go pro video will have much better than phone quality video, but it doesn't appear that the track data will be overlaid onto the video like the M performance analyzer does.

In addition there are also some diagnostic tools on the M performance analyzer. Agree with you I think a new thread is appropriate
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #119
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3M2R8Racer View Post
Thanks for the write up. Definitely getting the M Analyser!
Will be looking for you at COTA next month. Hopefully my M2 will make the event. Week 16 production. Still at Leipzig at the moment.
SWEET! See you at the track!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 10:07 PM   #120
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
Nice write up comparing the two together. It's interesting to read the differences between them. I think what this shows is that the engineers had more time to play with the M2 in development and make it "softer" around the edges for more people. The 1M was very narrowly focused and went after a specific market group, track addicts, etc.. The M2 is going to be made available to more people so it makes sense they would broaden its scope to compensate for that. It's also more likely to be daily driven.

Honestly the biggest disappointment for me is the indicated lack of torque surge that you get in the M2. That was one of my favorite things about the 1M. I know the steering won't be as good but that at least was expected. Now I'm patiently waiting for the LCI's to come out?
My experience with tracking a turbo car leaves me with mixed feelings about turbo surge. On a street car that kick in the pants you describe is great. Having that surge come on while exiting a corner on the track can break the tires loose. I actually swapped turbos to get a more linear torque curve as opposed to a sudden exponential looking curve. It lost a bit of fun factor on the street.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2016, 10:29 PM   #121
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
I think you first need to confirm if this is apples to apples.

Is your friends car stock or Modified with a tune ?

I ran my car at high plains raceway for three days at a BMW CCA DE. There were two or three other 1M present that weekend.

I had a ton of fun finally getting past a Vette that just didn't want to let me by .... Took 3 laps of pressure ... But I got the point by
It is indeed modified at this time, but hasn't always been. It overheated in stock form as well. Currently, the car has catless downpipes Cobb tune in terms of power mods. It also has KW Clubsport 3 way coilovers, StopTech trophy brakes front and rear and a square setup running 275s all around. It's getting an upgraded radiator and intercooler next week. As I previously stated, he probably pushes his car harder than others may and I'm sure that has an effect on the cooling system.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 11:03 PM   #122
fusionrace
Rogue
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Garage List
2001 325i  [0.00]
1989 m3  [0.00]
1990 m3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster
Quote:
It works by sending info directly from the OBD port via Bluetooth to your phone. So " BMW apps " is not needed, only the app that you download on your phone.
ok, got that confused with the go pro thing.
So was I , and I still am.

I thought that there was a go pro app available for the vehicle via BMW APPS.

I was hoping to use the BMW APP to control my Hero 4 from the M2. We searched but could not find how to download apps to the car.

the BMW M analyzer can record Audio and video from the track. If you place your phone camera on the dash it will record video ala Harry's lap timer and overlay the car data on that video.

So, rather than buy a GoPro and a solo DL, the Bluetooth dongle and your phone and an app from the Apple Store or android store is all you need. :thumbs:

here is me discovering it would work in the 1m

The go pro and the Bmw app will work together coming later this summer if I am not mistaken.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2016, 10:42 AM   #123
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3
Quote:
I think you first need to confirm if this is apples to apples.

Is your friends car stock or Modified with a tune ?

I ran my car at high plains raceway for three days at a BMW CCA DE. There were two or three other 1M present that weekend.

I had a ton of fun finally getting past a Vette that just didn't want to let me by .... Took 3 laps of pressure ... But I got the point by
It is indeed modified at this time, but hasn't always been. It overheated in stock form as well. Currently, the car has catless downpipes Cobb tune in terms of power mods. It also has KW Clubsport 3 way coilovers, StopTech trophy brakes front and rear and a square setup running 275s all around. It's getting an upgraded radiator and intercooler next week. As I previously stated, he probably pushes his car harder than others may and I'm sure that has an effect on the cooling system.
I'm a big fan of 275s or 285 square on the 1M as it doesn't even begin to be able to put its prodigious low end torque down at the rear until you get to those sizes and the same is true up front with turn in.

If his issues began completely stock, and not even a tune, then I've no idea at all ..

If his issues with overheating began after applying a tune on the stock motor and he is at altitude ... And he has simply added more mods over time .... The elephant is the room that's being forgotten is probably the quality of the tune.

Hopefully the larger radiator helps him, however in my experience, most overheating issues have very little to do with radiator capacity. Been there done that , and paid for the rebuild T shirt
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 09:43 PM   #124
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
@ M3 Adjuster- the car has always run hot, as all N54s do when you push them. Since he oil cooler thermostat does not fully open until roughly 240 degrees, it can never run cooler than this. That's not really an issue if the car can sustain a constant temp, but they simply can't. The car will has yet to crack 11k miles, so there's little chance of engine damage. Especially considering every tracked N54 exhibits the same issue in my experience. The N54 is incredibly robust, but the cooling system is always an issue on track. My car had the ER oil cooler and the oil temps were just barely kept in check, nearing 260-265 on any track in the summer time. The general consensus on these cars is the coolant capacity seems to have a great effect on the heat issues than the oil cooler surface area does. I'm guessing this is why BMW decided to add an additional coolant radiator instead of oil cooler on the MPPK/iS applications and the 1M. If this radiator with roughly 35% added capacity does not address the issue, the oil cooler is up next.
Appreciate 0