05-10-2016, 07:23 AM   #89
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E60M5,E821M,F15X5V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
First off, thanks for the review. It's both interesting and surprising that the M2 put down a better lap time than the 1M despite the lack of seat time in the car.

There's a bigger issue to address in the heat than just tires. The cooling system on the 1M is inadequate and the end result is always limp mode for any car fitted with an N54, without cooling upgrades. The newer cars definitely seem to have addressed this issue.

The steering on the 1M has servotronic which is still provides an over boosted hydraulic feel, IMO. Having spent plenty of time behind the wheel of 135, which shares the same engine, I can tell you I would trade less mid range torque for a better top end any day. The 1M is hard to put full power down on, or even near, corner exit. Another issue is the suspension on the 1M. With the lack of available negative camber from the factory aside, under hard braking the car nose dives heavily and this causes the back end to lift and become unstable. On corner entry after heavy braking the car can be quite the handful. This is also made worse by the short wheel base, or so it seems. I'm looking forward to tracking the M2 in a couple weeks, so perhaps I'll see a dark side of the M2 I've yet to see.

All said, they are both cool cars in their own ways. The 1M will be much more of a collector car in the future and the M2 being more of the "modern drivers car" in my book. Is the M2 raw and the way a track car should be? Not even close out of the box, but there's plenty left on the table for the aftermarket. Personally the choice would be very difficult to make, but I would likely take the M2.
I don't agree with your inadequate cooling comments for the 1M. I have tracked mine extensively at high altitudes and never had a problem or limp mode.
Appreciate 2
      05-10-2016, 07:26 AM   #90
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M Power Mexico View Post
I think it is. We had a very hot day here last Saturday and being at altitude like we are is a huge stress test for the cooling systems. The M2 handled it perfectly.

To give you an idea an M5 or M6 overheat within 3-4 hard laps here.
That's very good to hear. I was afraid that it didn't have the S55's great cooling system, but it seems BMW was paying attention on that one
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 07:35 AM   #91
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
I think it is. We had a very hot day here last Saturday and being at altitude like we are is a huge stress test for the cooling systems. The M2 handled it perfectly.

That's very good to hear. I was afraid that it didn't have the S55's great cooling system, but it seems BMW was paying attention on that one
Not like you're actually getting one.
      05-10-2016, 07:35 AM   #92
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M Power Mexico
Quote:
First off, thanks for the review. It's both interesting and surprising that the M2 put down a better lap time than the 1M despite the lack of seat time in the car.

There's a bigger issue to address in the heat than just tires. The cooling system on the 1M is inadequate and the end result is always limp mode for any car fitted with an N54, without cooling upgrades. The newer cars definitely seem to have addressed this issue.

The steering on the 1M has servotronic which is still provides an over boosted hydraulic feel, IMO. Having spent plenty of time behind the wheel of 135, which shares the same engine, I can tell you I would trade less mid range torque for a better top end any day. The 1M is hard to put full power down on, or even near, corner exit. Another issue is the suspension on the 1M. With the lack of available negative camber from the factory aside, under hard braking the car nose dives heavily and this causes the back end to lift and become unstable. On corner entry after heavy braking the car can be quite the handful. This is also made worse by the short wheel base, or so it seems. I'm looking forward to tracking the M2 in a couple weeks, so perhaps I'll see a dark side of the M2 I've yet to see.

All said, they are both cool cars in their own ways. The 1M will be much more of a collector car in the future and the M2 being more of the "modern drivers car" in my book. Is the M2 raw and the way a track car should be? Not even close out of the box, but there's plenty left on the table for the aftermarket. Personally the choice would be very difficult to make, but I would likely take the M2.
I don't agree with your inadequate cooling comments for the 1M. I have tracked mine extensively at high altitudes and never had a problem or limp mode.
I saw this and let it slide myself.

Thank you for posting this.

I also 100 % fully reject the notion of cooling issues as being prevalent with the 1M. I've never had mine shut down and I am in Texas, not exactly a mild climate.

Back in 2012 I ran my 1M at a DE with 104 degree ambient temps. I have also run in it in summer at altitude in Colorado. I've Never had a limp mode issue due to heat.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 07:43 AM   #93
Jet Mech
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe VO

Quote:
No problems here either...even at Hotlanta in July. The 1M has a bigger oil cooler I believe.
2001 S54 M Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3/4 (Sold)
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 08:03 AM   #94
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:

BMW started paying attention before the 1M.

As usual, they engineered the system better for the M model by adding an extra radiator and making the oil cooler standard ( it was originally an option on 135/335 coupes.

1M, M4 and now M2.. I don't expect any issue with cooling other than 135/335 owner carryover worry.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 08:37 AM   #95
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

I also 100 % fully reject the notion of cooling issues as being prevalent with the 1M. I've never had mine shut down and I am in Texas, not exactly a mild climate.

Back in 2012 I ran my 1M at a DE with 104 degree ambient temps. I have also run in it in summer at altitude in Colorado. I've Never had a limp mode issue due to heat.
Also this. Mine has seen plenty of hard, summer track miles in TX with no limp modes. Engine (tune) and cooling are completely stock.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 08:40 AM   #96
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

Great review M3 Adjuster. I need to make it up to Cresson sometime soon.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #97
qdtjant
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW Alpina D5S 2018

Great write up !
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 09:42 AM   #98
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
That was 4+ years ago and I know the owner of the car. You're obviously a JRZ fanboy since you were dumb enough to buy a set for a X1 LOL. Does your Chinese CF ebay spoiler also net you 3 seconds a lap on your M2?
Actually JRZ failed 3 times on me, so I'm done with them. However, I do have a soft spot for them since it was extremely fun passing GT3 owners in a X1. But then again, that's usually not much of a challenge.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 05-10-2016 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #99
M3M2R8Racer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 AW Dinan IV

Garage List
2012 Audi R8  [0.00]
95 M3  [0.00]
Thanks for the write up. Definitely getting the M Analyser!
Will be looking for you at COTA next month. Hopefully my M2 will make the event. Week 16 production. Still at Leipzig at the moment.
12 R8V10, APR tuned
95 M3 (retired track car)
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 09:57 AM   #100
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
That was 4+ years ago and I know the owner of the car. You're obviously a JRZ fanboy since you were dumb enough to buy a set for a X1 LOL. Does your Chinese CF ebay spoiler also net you 3 seconds a lap on your M2?
Actually JRZ failed 3 times on me, so I'm done with them. However, I do have a soft spot for them since it was extremely fun passing GT3 owners in a X1. But then again, that's usually not much of a challenge.
Lol.. I believe a glove has been thrown !
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 02:36 PM   #101
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:

I guess you and the others here must have better cars. Just speaking with a friend of mine today and he's ordering an upgraded radiator. He has to run his 1M with the heat on max to keep it out of limp mode at any local track here in Colorado- PPIR, PMP or HPR. Even a single run in an auto-x he sees 265+. Maybe he's harder on the car than some others are? :
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 03:21 PM   #102
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Very insightful. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
      05-10-2016, 03:26 PM   #103
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:

I guess you and the others here must have better cars. Just speaking with a friend of mine today and he's ordering an upgraded radiator. He has to run his 1M with the heat on max to keep it out of limp mode at any local track here in Colorado- PPIR, PMP or HPR. Even a single run in an auto-x he sees 265+. Maybe he's harder on the car than some others are? :
I think you first need to confirm if this is apples to apples.

Is your friends car stock or Modified with a tune ?

I ran my car at high plains raceway for three days at a BMW CCA DE. There were two or three other 1M present that weekend.

I had a ton of fun finally getting past a Vette that just didn't want to let me by .... Took 3 laps of pressure ... But I got the point by
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 04:14 PM   #104
longbeachbluem2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '76 2002 / '17 F87 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
1976 BMW 2002  [0.00]
2004 Audi Allroad  [0.00]
Awesome writeup M3 Adjuster! That's one heck of a garage 1M Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
ok, got that confused with the go pro thing.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the M laptimer app connects to GoPro (also requires a car with the navigation system), while the M Performance Analyzer works directly with the phone through bluetooth and not iDrive, right? The M laptimer is only available on iOS right now and the iPhone has to be connected though USB. I'm looking to get the analyzer for the car when it comes, but want to understand the difference between the apps and what data is available on each.

Last edited by longbeachbluem2; 05-10-2016 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-10-2016, 06:25 PM   #105
Jet Mech
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe VO

Quote:
Your friend must have some serious mods and boost to be having issues like that. Maybe put it on a Dyno and see what's going on.
2001 S54 M Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3/4 (Sold)
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 06:29 PM   #106
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Mech
Quote:
Your friend must have some serious mods and boost to be having issues like that. Maybe put it on a Dyno and see what's going on.

I know right?! Just watch the guy probably is on a stage 4 tune with meth injection or something
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 06:34 PM   #107
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdg76
Awesome writeup M3 Adjuster! That's one heck of a garage 1M Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
ok, got that confused with the go pro thing.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the M laptimer app connects to GoPro (also requires a car with the navigation system), while the M Performance Analyzer works directly with the phone through bluetooth and not iDrive, right? The M laptimer is only available on iOS right now and the iPhone has to be connected though USB. I'm looking to get the analyzer for the car when it comes, but want to understand the difference between the apps and what data is available on each.
OMG so there are two different apps?
I just went and looked in the iOS store.

There is an M laptimer app that requires the vehicle to have BMW APPS. It appears to calculate lap times and record data but NO video and indeed the phone is connected via USB . I dont see that it works with a GoPro.

The M Performance Drive analyzer app works with the OBD stick ( Bluetooth dongle ) and sends info direct to your phone and uses the phone to record video. That's the item I used and just purchased.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 06:55 PM   #108
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Nice one, Sir.
      05-10-2016, 08:34 PM   #109
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
Rep
Drives: Bwm and such

Garage List
2011 1M  [9.35]
Quote:
Your friend's car might have a problem or lacks the supporting mods for it's state of tune. I've never had a limp mode issue while averaging 12 or so days a year in the spring/summer heat of Willow Springs. Barring the odd coil pack issue, I'd say the 1m's N54 (in stock form) is a oil pan baffle away from being rock solid for track work.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 09:37 PM   #110
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

great writeup, thanks for sharing !