BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bad News for the Tuning Community?

10-11-2021, 07:51 AM   #441
Big-Lad-Smith
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

So an update:

Speaking to another tuner who’s a little further away from me but not an unreasonable distance has advised the bench unlock should still be possible.

We’ve agreed when I have a little more time I’ll leave the car with them and they will attempt the bench unlock with either CMD, BFlash or Flex tools and software.

I did discuss the unlock strategy with EcuTek a few months back and BFlash was mentioned as a useful place to start in the unlocking process.

I’ll keep this updated.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 04:52 PM   #442
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Lad-Smith View Post
So an update:

Speaking to another tuner who’s a little further away from me but not an unreasonable distance has advised the bench unlock should still be possible.

We’ve agreed when I have a little more time I’ll leave the car with them and they will attempt the bench unlock with either CMD, BFlash or Flex tools and software.

I did discuss the unlock strategy with EcuTek a few months back and BFlash was mentioned as a useful place to start in the unlocking process.

I’ll keep this updated.
So I email a few tuners today and see what was the solution. The only people who can do it is Wrench Studios, and they will have to install another ECU in your car ($$$$$$) and you can keep the other one with you. It's currently the only way you can unlock it. I assume that they will repace it with a pre 2020 ECU similar to what some people online have done and basically code everything over. Basically the only way to have your car tuned for us 06/2020+ cars
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 10:50 AM   #443
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM Manual M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahano View Post
So I email a few tuners today and see what was the solution. The only people who can do it is Wrench Studios, and they will have to install another ECU in your car ($$$$$$) and you can keep the other one with you. It's currently the only way you can unlock it. I assume that they will repace it with a pre 2020 ECU similar to what some people online have done and basically code everything over. Basically the only way to have your car tuned for us 06/2020+ cars
So basically, it's not unlockable yet. Bummer. But procedures for ECU swaps are more of an option and becoming easier to do.

I see this as a bit worse for BMW, instead of being able to warranty flag cars as being tuned, now they have people resorting to swapping out entire ECU's, which raises worse ethical questions such as "Is this car's mileage even accurate or arbitrary/false?"
Appreciate 2
      10-12-2021, 11:30 AM   #444
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcore View Post
So basically, it's not unlockable yet. Bummer. But procedures for ECU swaps are more of an option and becoming easier to do.

I see this as a bit worse for BMW, instead of being able to warranty flag cars as being tuned, now they have people resorting to swapping out entire ECU's, which raises worse ethical questions such as "Is this car's mileage even accurate or arbitrary/false?"
Mileage is not an issue, as it's held by instrument cluster and a few other modules in the car.

The few DME replacements for 2021 that I have already done all get a fresh "virgin"-like DME as it would be bought at the dealer anyways. I can't attest what others are doing, though.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 11:38 AM   #445
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
Mileage is not an issue, as it's held by instrument cluster and a few other modules in the car.

The few DME replacements for 2021 that I have already done all get a fresh "virgin"-like DME as it would be bought at the dealer anyways. I can't attest what others are doing, though.
Enabled could you PM me the costs associated with doing this? Is this a new ECU or mainly an ECU for an older S55 engine?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 05:27 PM   #446
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

I called Carbahn today and the person on the phone told me their piggyback ECU was basically ready to go. The car they were going to use for the dyno/test tune hasnt shown up to the shop so he's trying to find another m2c to run it on. They also said when the DME gets cracked and supported they have the ability to upgrade the old at no charge so you're not buying twice.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 01:17 PM   #447
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
I called Carbahn today and the person on the phone told me their piggyback ECU was basically ready to go. The car they were going to use for the dyno/test tune hasnt shown up to the shop so he's trying to find another m2c to run it on. They also said when the DME gets cracked and supported they have the ability to upgrade the old at no charge so you're not buying twice.
Since the piggyback is not the same as a flash, how does this work with a C vs CS?

If the piggy piggy back brings the C to 450bhp, I assume it wouldn't do anything for the CS. Is this true?

Any word if they are selling it with one of their match the factory warranty warranties?

I am still very torn on tuning my CS, but I am genuinely curious how a piggy back works based on the different factory tunes with the same engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 02:04 PM   #448
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f87CSdrifterential View Post
Since the piggyback is not the same as a flash, how does this work with a C vs CS?

If the piggy piggy back brings the C to 450bhp, I assume it wouldn't do anything for the CS. Is this true?

Any word if they are selling it with one of their match the factory warranty warranties?

I am still very torn on tuning my CS, but I am genuinely curious how a piggy back works based on the different factory tunes with the same engine.
Piggyback fools the manifold air pressure sensor data. Works for a bump in power, but it's not equivalent to a tune at all.

A simple piggyback will just bump the boost up higher.
A 'smarter' piggyback will compare current boost signal and figure out how much to add based on pre-programmed values.

That being said... a 2020 M2CS is definitely tunable if built before 06/2020.
Others:
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2021, 02:29 PM   #449
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Piggyback fools the manifold air pressure sensor data. Works for a bump in power, but it's not equivalent to a tune at all.

A 'smarter' piggyback will compare current boost signal and figure out how much to add based on pre-programmed values.

we are all just waiting for the tuners to crack the DME of the 06/2020+ cars so we can go back to tuning. Right now the only way is to get another ECU that is pre 2020. A piggy back is not nearly good enough as it doesn't change many of the parameters required from a good tune nor does it give the ability to delete the shit OPF filters that are on this car along with many other options.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2021, 02:38 PM   #450
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Is their piggyback a smart one?

My DME Date according to the dealership is November. My car was manufactured 12/16/20
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 02:40 PM   #451
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

we are all just waiting for the tuners to crack the DME of the 06/2020+ cars so we can go back to tuning. Right now the only way is to get another ECU that is pre 2020. A piggy back is not nearly good enough as it doesn't change many of the parameters required from a good tune nor does it give the ability to delete the shit OPF filters that are on this car along with many other options.
I will probably just wait for a flash tune if I'm doing anything anyways. I was just curious how the piggyback worked. It seems like we are asking a lot for tuners to invest in 12 months of Locked DMEs since the M2 competition is the only car that still used the S55.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 02:45 PM   #452
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Is their piggyback a smart one?

My DME Date according to the dealership is November. My car was manufactured 12/16/20
Ah, so yours is a 2021.

I honestly think Carbahn's piggyback will just add a small percent of boost on top.
Others:
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 03:15 PM   #453
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 04:51 PM   #454
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

Quote:
Quote:

You do realize JB4 will dessimate any OTS flash tune map on any platform on the entire market on its map 7 right. And JB4 now has 10+ years of R&D and updates. Driving is stock unless wot. And boost is increased by about 80%. JB4 attaches to your fuel lines and adjusts fuel flow.
      10-22-2021, 07:25 AM   #455
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The M2CS has been dyno'd a couple of times showing an estimated higher BHP than claimed by BMW. We all know they under estimate HP numbers. Some threads have estimated 480+BHP.

I do not have corn fuel available nor do I intended to do anything beyond the Akra Evo and AFE dry filters w/ charcoal filters removed to mod the engine itself. I am in the US and do not have OPF.

The stock claimed power bump for the CS over C is the tune adding the 40hp.

The JB4 does not show support on the site beyond 2019. I know some 2020 comps are running it.
Because I can't get corn fuel I can only run 93 octane map 2 which they show is 495bhp. If I am already close to that number stock is a JB4 or any other piggy back going to take my car to that 530-550bhp that flash tuners claim?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 03:24 PM   #456
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The M2CS has been dyno'd a couple of times showing an estimated higher BHP than claimed by BMW. We all know they under estimate HP numbers. Some threads have estimated 480+BHP.

I do not have corn fuel available nor do I intended to do anything beyond the Akra Evo and AFE dry filters w/ charcoal filters removed to mod the engine itself. I am in the US and do not have OPF.

The stock claimed power bump for the CS over C is the tune adding the 40hp.

The JB4 does not show support on the site beyond 2019. I know some 2020 comps are running it.
Because I can't get corn fuel I can only run 93 octane map 2 which they show is 495bhp. If I am already close to that number stock is a JB4 or any other piggy back going to take my car to that 530-550bhp that flash tuners claim?
I have a 2021 with a build date of February 2021. There is support and a whole lot of it for all years with zero issues as it's meant for 2020-2021 and no different from 2018-2019 JB4 is the best way to go especially if you wanna smack all the flash tuned guys running OTS. And right now I'm making 560 wheel on OTS JB4. On a flash tune your gonna need a serious custom tune. And even with a custom sometimes they only showing those numbers when on full E.

OTS stage 2 93 for S55 is only putting down 490-510 wheel without the outliers on a flash tune. JB4 on 93 is putting down 490-510 wheel. Just saying. All this talk of everyone upset when a tune is right infront of everyone. Save the grief and pick up JB4 but get the Bluetooth connect as it's best. And you can switch between 7 different maps.

I have ran many OTS tuned S55 and I can promise you none of them have ever beaten me. I'm also the only one running JB4. And your power if your CS will outperform me. Because it's an additive so each map is just adding boost until you hit map 5,6,7 which compensates for fueling. on the CS you'll be running more boost then me map for map because stock boost is higher.

So yes you will see more power because your stock boost levels are much higher already. when running the maps on JB4 you will be around 510-520wheel on pump 93 because you have a CS compared to my 490 wheel on pump with JB4

And just so you know if your putting down 520 wheel that's a 600hp car…. This is what JB4 can do for everyone here if they actually quit complaining. You really only need a flash for upgraded turbos or you want cool flames or cold start delete and weird little codings.

For those track guys there is MAP5. Known as "M Map" or "NA MAP" this gives the feeling of the power from an NA car. Which keeps torque near stock (amazing for comming out of exits) and raises boost slowly until redline. It's a fun map for track guys and it adjusts for fueling IAT and other variables.

JB4 is the strongest tune out there for our cars when you start dabbling with their higher maps and you can track on it too and it'll adjust for weather conditions

CS map 1 you should see 21lbs of boost
CS map 2 you should see 23lbs of boost.
CS map 5 you should see 25lbs of boost at redline
CS map 7 you should see 26lbs of boost
^^ this is the best 60-130 map

You can run just the mods you listed (intake) on all maps but power will be limited due to no catless dp but your only missing out on 20whp really when you jump to map 5/7
      10-23-2021, 09:44 AM   #457
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Straight from their website

Now back to the topic of flashing.
Attached Images

Others:
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 01:50 PM   #458
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEdition_F87 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

You do realize JB4 will dessimate any OTS flash tune map on any platform on the entire market on its map 7 right. And JB4 now has 10+ years of R&D and updates. Driving is stock unless wot. And boost is increased by about 80%. JB4 attaches to your fuel lines and adjusts fuel flow.
There's more to a tune then just the max HP.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 02:36 PM   #459
TheoIam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Exactly!!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 05:56 PM   #460
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoIam View Post
Exactly!!
100%, plus if you want to remove the OPF filters, you need a tune to be able to disable it.
I hope some of the tuners find a way to unlock the 2021 DMEs as fast as possible.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 10:07 PM   #461
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Like I said… only difference really on a flash is you get the dumb little pops that annoys everyone that you can adjust. Not only that but JB4 offers 7 maps for different conditions fuel etc. ability to clear codes log send logs and adjusts timing on the fly for a variety of variables. Driving is linear like stock when normal driving based off the power of each map. I mean what's there to miss. Maybe anti lag? But then your smacking out your turbos eventually. JB4 is the truth in all weather conditions fuel conditions and driving styles on a stock turbo.

And best part… flash will immediately void the warranty. JB4 takes a lot of digging because it only increases torque load. Usually that's only investigated on blown motors.

So now.. what was that about only max hp?
      10-25-2021, 12:00 AM   #462
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Like I said… only difference really on a flash is you get the dumb little pops that annoys everyone that you can adjust. Not only that but JB4 offers 7 maps for different conditions fuel etc. ability to clear codes log send logs and adjusts timing on the fly for a variety of variables. Driving is linear like stock when normal driving based off the power of each map. I mean what's there to miss. Maybe anti lag? But then your smacking out your turbos eventually. JB4 is the truth in all weather conditions fuel conditions and driving styles on a stock turbo.

And best part… flash will immediately void the warranty. JB4 takes a lot of digging because it only increases torque load. Usually that's only investigated on blown motors.

So now.. what was that about only max hp?
Dude, you showed up with your special edition f87 claiming it was making way more torque right off the assembly line than everyone else's car. You're not very objective or realistic about this stuff.

Dyno stock M2 comp Special edition https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1819564
Appreciate 3
chris7197331.50
Enabled1406.00
pz6193277.00